Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

1500 points Cityfight Guard {Updated}
Closed Thread
Old 04 Apr 2006, 00:09   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default 1500 points Cityfight Guard {Updated}

This is an army idea I've been mulling over for a while and I'm considering making once I finish my Gue'vassa.
The regiment has no name because it is no single regiment. Over the course of a seige stretching into its second year the old unit structures have broken down and most forces are now an ammalgamation of PDF, former civilians defending thier homes, and troops from over a dozen various gaurd regiments.
I'm planning to include models from virtually every guard range and mix and match arm and torsoes to give them a ragged appearance. The color scheme will be whatever I feel like painting plus lots of dust. No bright colors, as anyone smart enough to live this long would have discarded their flashy uniforms at the earliest opportunity.
The particlar unit I'm playing has absorbed the survivors of a storm trooper platoon. Several of the officers and sergeants have been placed with the standard troops to provided discipline. I'm going to field them as commissars.

NEW LIST
I dropped the mortar squad and the command squad mortar for a special weapons team, a company standard, and some flamers in the conscript squad. What do you think of these changes?

HQ
Command Squad
HSO Captain Dezital, w/ power weapon, bolt pistol
3x guardsman w/ lasgun
1x Veteran w/ Company Standard, lasgun
Sergeant Wesket w/ stormbolter, ccw, carapace armor
137pts

Special Weapons Squad
3x guardmen w/ las pistol, ccw
2x guardsmen w/ flamer
1x guardsman w/ demo charge las pistol, ccw
63pts

Support Squad
3x heavy bolter
80pts

Elites
Veteran squad
Lieutenant Tannogan w/ Honorifica Imperialis, powerfist, las pistol, carapace armor
6x veterans w/ lasgun
3x veterans w/ meltagun
165pts

Storm troopers
Sergeant Vahz w/ hellpistol, ccw
2x storm trooper w/ meltagun
2x storm trooper w/ hellgun
infiltrate
75pts

Troops

Green Platoon
Command Squad
Lieutenant Rashad w/ power weapon, bolt pistol
1x guardsman w/ laspistol, ccw
3x guardsman w/ flamer
Sergeant Kesler w/ power weapon, bolt pistol, carapace armor, melta bombs
120pts

Green One
7x guardsman w/ lasgun
1x guardsman w/ grenade launcher
1x missile launcher team
83pts

Green Two
7x guardsman w/ lasgun
1x missile launcher team
83pts

Blue Platoon
Command Squad
Lieutenant Learham w/ bolter
2x guardsman w/ lasgun
1x heavy bolter team
51pts

Blue One
7x guardsman w/ lasgun
1x missile launcher team
83pts

Blue Two
7x guardsman w/ lasgun
1x Missile launcher team
83pts

Conscripts
37x conscripts w/ lasgun
3x conscripts w/ flamer
187pts

Fast Attack
Hellhound w/ Rough Terrian Modification
120pts

Heavy Support

Griffon w/ Infernus Shells
85pts

Griffon w/ Infernus Shells
85pts

Total 1500pts

The army is kind of weak on anti-tank, but it is designed for cityfight, where I could use the dense terrain to avoid some of the armor, and get close with the melta weapons. I personally think mortars are pretty cool, even if they kinda suck against MEQs, but they're definatly fluffy and effective for cityfight with their ability to strike without LOS. The Infernus Shells make the Griffons a force to be feared even for the toughest enemies. I really want to see my opponents face when his huge beastly squad of Terminators/Necron Warriors/Ulthwe Seers start hightailing it away.

The HQ generally hides behind some LOS blocking cover and provide leadership to my firebase of support weapons and platoon squads. It's mortar serves as a ranging shot for the mortar squad and griffons behind it (I play with guess range house rules). The veterans and storm troopers infiltrate and try to take out the most threatening armor. The flamer command squad and the conscripts advance to take objectives. The commissar should be able to keep them in line for a while.

If things come down to close combat, I've got over 100 bodies to throw at my enemy, and cityfight rules means I can toss in several squads and have them get their full attacks. The commisars and power weapon officers should help out too.
Old 04 Apr 2006, 00:53   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: 1500 points Cityfight Guard

Hmmm....

Kudos for the awesome idea... Even buying a few Cadian sets and following different Codex schemes would turn out cool!

I would personally give the Command HQ a lot of melta guns and bombs, and weave them up through cover to blow tanks, big creatures, and threatening characters. Worse comes to worse, you've got power weapons. Enough said. Drop the mortar, too.

The infantry base looks good, except, theres nowhere near enough flamers!

Now, don't be discouraged... Roland Cox did a bad job using them in Codex: Cityfight... using cover to advance slowly is the better bet, and he didn't do that. I suggest one platoon with as many flamers and meltas as you can get. Move them through cover on the streets. Everyone else can hide in buildings and lay down serious suppressive fire.

The Vet squad looks great... I'd love to see your opponents face!

I am going to give you a cyber-high five.

Griffons are AMAZING! A sleek, sexy model, and plenty o' punch in Cityfight. Who cares it only goes teh range of a lascannon? Youre in a city!

Great choices... I'd love to see this army a reality!

Stankov

PS: Be careful though, 30 different schemes will just look stupid; maybe 4 tops, lets say for yuks Valhallan, Cadian [of choice], Vostroyan, and some Praetorians.

Good luck!

[img width=650 height=288]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a99/GeneralStankov/finalcopy.jpg[/img]
Old 04 Apr 2006, 01:04   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to Pirate Send a message via Yahoo to Pirate

Wow, your list looks very clean.
I would emphisise veterans rather than Stormtroopers fluffwise. Seems like they would fit the role a bit better. This is where the veteran doctrine would come in handy! Not too many, maybe one more squad.

I'd think that a neighboring regiment would send a commissar, if not reassign one from somewhere. Unless its temporary, then it would make sense. Right? Not sure...

For the sargeants you could make them into veteran sargeants and get the same idea rather than pay for a Commissar, just an idea.

Very cool idea though. I am liking the Griffons alot!
Old 04 Apr 2006, 04:38   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I had about 30 points left over at the end and nothing productive to spend it on. This is where the HQ mortar and much of the less useful wargear got tossed in. What do you think of dropping some of it to put flamers in the conscripts? The line squads stay as fire support for now.

The storm trooper officers, Tannogan, Wesket, and Kesler, are not replacement commissars, but just happen to be fulfilling a similar role in keeping discipline amongst the troops. I prefer fielding them as commissars because of the slightly better statline and the big leadership boost. I'm keeping at least one squad of storm troopers for now for fluff reasons. More veterans would fit, but at this point level I don't have room.

I'm considering doctrining the army with these.

Storm Troopers- The remenents of a storm trooper company that has been absorbed into the unit. They infilitrate ahead of the main force to ambush enemy armor.

Conscripts- Civilians who have joined to protect their homes. No training and only scavenged equipment, but attrition has hardened the survivors into a hardy group that can match the minimally trained conscripts of many guard regiments.

Commissars- Survivors from the storm troopers are integrated among the line troops to improve discipline. They all have carapace armor and are based on storm trooper models.

Special weapons teams- I didn't have enough points for them in this list, but I'd like to take some at 1750.

Either Independant Commissars or Veterans- I've only got one elite slot left, so I could only take one or the other. Both fit the fluff, as those who have lasted this long are more skilled than average guardsmen, and the storm trooper officers would be able to move from unit to unit providing support.

Or should I just drop the doctrines altogether, as they don't add much either way with all but one doctrine being spent on restricted troops?

I'm thinking Tallarn, Armeggedon (cause I think the look sweet), cadian/catachan combinations, and maybe some Vostroyans if I like the models.
Old 04 Apr 2006, 06:41   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

have your tired mixing cadian and catachan parts with chaos fantasy? combining cadian heads and torsos with chaos marauder arms and legs gives them a very brutal savage look, while still maintinging the idea that they used to be proper diciplined soliders. the same works with adding catachan arms to cadian torsos.

Old 05 Apr 2006, 00:13   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I'm not really looking for savage so much as ragged. They aren't especially blood thirsty, their uniforms are just really messed up after so long without resupply.