Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Imperial Guard in the GT
Closed Thread
Old 01 Apr 2006, 17:34   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Imperial Guard in the GT

I looked around (and apologize if I missed this somewhere), but was unable to find army lists of imperial guard forces used in the Grand Tournament. Can someone post a link, or perhaps a few of the armies. I did notice that not many of the top players used IG. Thoughts on why that may be?

Old 01 Apr 2006, 18:23   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Imperial Guard in the GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffo
I looked around (and apologize if I missed this somewhere), but was unable to find army lists of imperial guard forces used in the Grand Tournament. Can someone post a link, or perhaps a few of the armies. I did notice that not many of the top players used IG. Thoughts on why that may be
Well to be honest I have never seen a list of any armies from any GT anywhere. I have seen pictures etc but never someones actual list. Are you looking to netdeck an army list?

In regards to the second part of your question IG are an army for more experienced gamers in my opinion. They are not as forgiving as marines are to mistakes and you usually require a lot of guard to meet the points in most GT tournaments so cost is another reason people don't play guard as much as other armies.

The one thing I have learned about playing guard in tournaments and at the game store is that you are going to take casualties and lots of them. my 2000 pt list has 120 basic guardsmen and they get killed very easily but I can't get caught up in the casualties and must remain focussed on the mission as most games at tournament are mission orientated rather then just kill one another.
Old 01 Apr 2006, 18:33   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I recently got back into the game and decided to go with guard, mostly because I like the variety and concept. I have a few lists I have run through and I am looking to generate a number of lists I can pull out, at a moments notice, based on my opponent.
I bought the following:
3 Cadian Troop boxes
2 Battle Boxes
1 Leman Russ Tank
2 Sentinels
1 officer squad

I am able to get 20-25% off my purchases, so I am looking to buy some special weapons guys and maybe a few more sentinels and a couple officer blisters.

Right now I am mostly dealing with cutting flash and gluing, but I have a 40k in 40 minutes game I am hosting pretty soon. The people in my gaming group tend to be a bit powergamerish, not because they are jerks! Mostly because they think about things a lot before putting them together. Suffice to say, I will be challenged and often beat. Thats why I was looking for some pretty competitive tournament lists from which I can get some solid ideas. My group is interested in doing an escalation type league, mostly for fun. But, as I said, they are a pretty competitive bunch of people.

As far as netdeck goes, that rarely works. I am more interested in how X force did against Y type of competitor, etc.. Like how to handle Godzilla Nids or how to handle fast orcs...etc..
Old 01 Apr 2006, 18:59   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

It sounds like you have a solid army to paint up and customize with all those box sets. I started with 6x Shock Troops, 2 Leman Russes, 2 Chimeras, 2 hellhounds and 4 heavy weapon squads.

In small point games we Guard tend to get whipped. Are troops work in numbers but we don't really come into our own until 1000 pts. 40k in 40 minutes means you can't take any armor with an AV toal of 34+. Which means no leman russes, hell hounds etc. You can take a Basilisk though it is 1/4 of the points and Chimeras but other then that we are sort of limited. The rules also require that you take at least 1 troop choice which for us means a command squad and 2 squads of infantry minimum which is almost 200 pts there with wargear and equipment.

Marines for the same pts can get a Captain, 2 tac squads (spec and heavy weapon), landspeeder and a whirlwind. With every one of their weapons denieing us an armor save and everyone of ours still giving them an armor save we are at a real disadvantage.
Closed Thread