Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

1000 Infantry Army
Closed Thread
Old 27 Mar 2006, 07:36   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to akthomas89
Default 1000 Infantry Army

Hoping to play to the weakness of enemy AT weapons and have a huge shooty horde, this is what I devised. I don't play guard, so keep in mind that this is a hypothetical list and I have no clue what I'm doing.

Doctrines:
Die Hard
Iron Discipline
Close Order Drill
Conscript Platoons

Command Platoon 103 pts
Die Hard
Heroic Senior Officer w/ Bolt Pistol, CC weapon, Iron Discipline
Standard Bearer w/ Lasgun
Medic w/ Lasgun
2x Guardsmen w/ Lasguns

Infantry Platoon 1 340 pts

Platoon Command 88 pts

Die Hard
Junior Officer w/ Bolt Pistol, CC weapon, Iron Discipline
Medic w/ Lasgun
Veteran w/ Power Fist, Laspistol
2x Guardsmen w/ Lasguns

Squad 1 126 pts
Die Hard
6x Guardsmen w/ Lasguns
2x Guardsmen as Lascannon Team
Guardsman w/ Plasma Gun
Veteran Sergeant w/ Power Fist, Laspistol

Squad 2 126 pts

Die Hard
6x Guardsmen w/ Lasguns
Guardsman w/ Plasma Gun
Veteran Sergeant w/ Power Fist, Laspistol

Infantry Platoon 2 346 pts

Platoon Command 86 pts

Die Hard
Medic w/ Lasgun
Veteran w/ Power Fist, Laspistol
2x Guardsmen w/ Lasguns

Squad 1 86 pts
Die Hard
7x Guardsmen w/ Lasguns
2x Guardsmen as Missile Launcher Team
Veteran Sergeant w/ Lasgun

Squad 2 86 pts
Die Hard
7x Guardsmen w/ Lasguns

Squad 3 86 pts
Die Hard
7x Guardsmen w/ Lasguns

Conscript Platoon 1 98 pts

Conscript Squad 1 49 pts

9x Conscripts w/ Lasguns
Conscript w/ Flamer

Conscript Squad 2 49 pts
9x Conscripts w/ Lasguns
Conscript w/ Flamer

Conscript Platoon 2 98 pts

Conscript Squad 1 49 pts
9x Conscripts w/ Lasguns
Conscript w/ Flamer

Conscript Squad 2 49 pts
9x Conscripts w/ Lasguns
Conscript w/ Flamer

Total: 985 pts
Models: 105 models

Missiles, Plasma, and Lascannons give a wide variety of AT weapons and anti marine weapons. The idea, as it is in my head, is to use those squads of 20 conscripts as buffers in front of the guys that almost matter (as much as guardsmen can matter). Lascannon squads behind them with powerfists along with command squads with powerfists to really give attacks a run for their money. Missiles bring up the rear with long range anti transport or blasts against hordes.

The powerfists really are just failsafes in the event of an assault - the original list had none and I realized that if anything were to assault my men, we'd have a real tough time fending them off. So if the conscripts (hah... if...) die, then the powerfists can hopefully fend off the enemy through massed bodies and slow whittling away.

What's good? What's bad? What's right? What's wrong? More generic questions.
Old 27 Mar 2006, 16:33   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar
Default Re: 1000 Infantry Army

well first of all, powerfists are officer only items. so your veteran sergeants can't take them. and even if they could, at WS3 A2 its not worth the points.

second, you'd be better combining your two conscript platoons into one massive horde, this way the enemy will need to kill 10 men in a single phase to cause a Ld test, while with your other squads its a mere 5. also remember that you need to keep officers close. since you have a free doctrine and getting rid of your powerfists will clear up some points i suggest you get an independant commissar with bolter or storm bolter in the conscript platoon.

good luck, and hope to see you playing guard soon.

Old 27 Mar 2006, 16:36   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Well, aside from the flamers and missile lauchers, you don't have much anti infantry...except for lasguns...:P

Do you want to throw a tank in there? A nice battle cannon...they're good against marines...

and actually...
WS3 with 2 attacks and a powerfist is an average of 1 dead marine per phase... that's better than 10 guardsmen on average attacking a marine...
Old 27 Mar 2006, 17:24   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Elessar, thanks for the heads up on officer only. I wasn't really paying attention, I just didn't want ICs to be holding the fists, though that may be unavoidable. Are you suggesting, with the independent commissar, that I just keep him out of combat the whole time? As soon as he gets in BtB he's a dead man and then so are my conscripts.

I noticed that myself, however keep in mind that this is only a 1000 point army, Cresent. With extra points I could toss heavy bolters into command squads. Even heavy bolter infantry squads are incredibly cheap. And no, I don't want a tank in here. It kind of destroys the idea of having an all infantry army, don't you think?

There's a few reasons I'm contemplating this army right now so I guess I'll take this opportunity to run through them.
A) I like Guard. I like lots of Infantry. This army seems to have both, no?
B) This is an opportunity to learn Guard for if I do decide to start them once I have some cashflow, or at the very least an opportunity to learn how to combat them effectively.
C) If and when I start a Guard army, I cannot think of a single time that having hundreds of extra infantry to use is going to be a bad thing. It will make expansion easier, and if I decide to try something like a drop troop army, it won't be hard to achieve.

So, no, no tank for now.
Old 27 Mar 2006, 19:18   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Personally id drop die hards, the medics, downgrade the heroic senior officer to a junior with HI.Drop the medics.

Drop the vets in squads and there equipment.

Drop the conscripts.

Switch missile launchers for lascannons.

Seems like alot but here is the reasons.

-die hards takes up pts quickly and doesnt shoot or kill anyting.
-you dont want your command squads to be shot at, hide them for ld purposes.
-downgrade the hso because the junior is more efficiant, saves pts too.

-Drop the vets because the officers can provide ld.
-Drop the conscripts because in 4th edition they cant block line of sight and tbh dont do much.

suggestions for filling up those yummy pts.

-some rough riders as your counter assault.
-lascannons instead of missile launchers, might as well go all out if you want anti tank.
-add some plasma into your line squads, might as well.
-Try and fit some cheap heavy bolter squads in if possible.

All in my opinion of course.
Old 27 Mar 2006, 19:30   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Ahhh...an All infantry army. Right. Sorry.

Even adding the ultra cheap fire-support squad with heavy bolters is a nice addition...
Old 27 Mar 2006, 20:27   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

I'm used to playing a fearless army, so if I'm going overboard on Ld insurance, that's why. However, I still don't know if relying on just those command squads for Ld is going to be good enough, hence the vet sergeants and die hards. I figure, CC is when modifiers really start to hit hard and if I can ignore that then my men will last an awful lot longer, at the very least a lot longer holding up the enemy in CC. The vets don't really have equipment anyway, the powerfists shouldn't be there as they're illegal. I think 6 points for the vet sergeant per squad plus close order drill is a small price to pay for guaranteed Ld9.

I might drop the medics, but they are there for precisely the reason that I don't want them to be shot at. Just because i don't want them to be shot at doesn't mean I'll always have an effective place to hide the command units.

Dropping the conscripts effectively kills my buffer. I think that with an independent commissar being kept out of CC will keep them in the game.

If anything, I'd switch the lascannons for more missile launchers. Lascannons are to situational - a missile launcher retains more versatility and still tank killing power.

I like the rough riders idea for an expansion in to larger point battles. Keep in mind, however, this list is still completely hypothetical. I'm probably going to rework this list later, I'm on spring break and often lack things to do, so I'm sure I'll make some more variants and make lists for higher point battles for C&C.
Old 28 Mar 2006, 00:30   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

I dont think die hards is worth it. if your squads are in cc then they are very unlikely to survive anyways. we usually tack that on as an afterthought for some sort of narrative reason just to waste a few points after the list has been made. I like the mass approach but I think regular squads in place of those conscripts would be much more effective, and easy enough to figure into your points when you dump the vet sgts and powerfists as has been mentioned before. theres a big difference between 40 dice needing a 4 to hit and 40 dice needing a 5.

lasguard:
every squad has a lascannon
the command section is stripped to a minimum to free more points for yet another squad
you get so many squads of grunts that having them run away doesnt even matter forget leadership, voxcasters, veterans, any of that stuff just pack in as many grunts as you can.

i wish i had enough figs to do this. it would be fun to roll 60+ dice to hit every turn.
Old 28 Mar 2006, 04:32   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Well here's a newer list. Have a gander!

Doctrines:
Iron Discipline
Close Order Drill
Conscript Platoons
Independent Commissars

Command Platoon 247 pts

Command Squad 87 pts

Heroic Senior Officer w/ Bolt Pistol, CC weapon, Iron Discipline
Standard Bearer w/ Lasgun
3x Guardsmen w/ Lasguns

Fire Support Squad 80 pts

3x Heavy Bolter Teams

Fire Support Squad 80 pts
3x Heavy Bolter Teams

Independent Commissars 55 pts
1x Commissar w/ Storm Bolter

Infantry Platoon 1 236 pts

Platoon Command 46 pts

4x Guardsmen w/ Lasguns

Squad 1 95 pts
7x Guardsmen w/ Lasguns
Guardsman w/ Plasma Gun

Squad 2 95 pts

7x Guardsmen w/ Lasguns
Guardsman w/ Plasma Gun

Infantry Platoon 2 271 pts

Platoon Command 46 pts
4x Guardsmen w/ Lasguns

Squad 1 75 pts

8x Guardsmen w/ Lasguns

Squad 2 75 pts
8x Guardsmen w/ Lasguns

Squad 3 75 pts
8x Guardsmen w/ Lasguns

Conscript Platoon 1 178 pts

Conscript Squad 1 49 pts
9x Conscripts w/ Lasguns
Conscript w/ Flamer

Conscript Squad 2 49 pts
9x Conscripts w/ Lasguns
Conscript w/ Flamer

Conscript Squad 3 40 pts
10x Conscripts w/ Lasguns

Conscript Squad 4 40 pts
10x Conscripts w/ Lasguns

Total: 987 pts
Models: 118 models

I dropped die hards, but kept the conscripts with an independent commissar and here's why: This list will die in an assault. my only defense against assault is the pure volume of bodies I can throw. I figure, if enough guys make it to assault to tear through 40 conscripts and still go totally strong, I'm probably in trouble anyway. That's also why I lost the die hards, since the conscripts are my first line of defense against assaults, I think it'd be better to just go with more of them rather than spend points on saving the squads that are probably going to be dead soon after anyway. The heavy bolter teams were added to give some fend off assaults and add some anti-horde punch (aside from the lascannons).

Back to the conscripts, the point was brought up that 40 lasguns at BS3 is better than 40 at BS2. I cannot disagree with a statement like that, however I can disagree on the point that I can't fit 40 BS3 lasguns into the same points that 40 BS2 lasguns fill. I may actually build this list and decide that I don't like how the conscripts work - however for now it's a reason to stock up on guardsmen and I like the sheer volume of bodies that they provide.

How's it looking now?
Old 28 Mar 2006, 11:27   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

The fire support teams seem like a bad choice imo.

Instead I would go with 2 line squads with a heavy bolter and plasma gun.Reason been is that those fire support squads will be high on peoples list to kill.

Easy choice between them and say the the squads next to them with loads of meatshields.

Also the missile launcher squads still seema bit meh to me if you get my jist, they dont kill infrantry as well as a heavy bolter, dont kill light tanks as good as an autocannon and dont kill tanks/heavy infrantry as well as a lascannon.

Also there lack of a speacial weapon seems a waste.

edit: Infact go with the relic forum advice would be best, just saw it there.
Closed Thread