Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Reorganizing The Imperial Guard Tactica
Old 22 Mar 2006, 21:03   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Reorganizing The Imperial Guard Tactica

OK folks, Wargamer, a long time ago, wrote the Imperial Guard tactica, before you guys probably registered here...

Well, it was based on Third Edition, yet, 4th edition is now firmly placed in the warhammer community.
We need a change.

We need people, to make the change, this, in essence, is a call to arms. I call you, to bring your information laden servitors to the task. We need a large amount of information for veteran and new players alike to absorb and learn from everyone.

Well, I have a roster of around 6 tasks that will each be added to the Tactica, but we need people to sign up!

And to be honest, this will be the cream of the crop, we don't want a one paragraph, bad grammar text talk written guide, we need the juice here! We need a thing that people will really take from reading.
So, if it's just really bad, we'll either delegate someone else to do it, or wargamer or myself will do it...
[hr]
What we need:

Description of Every weapon in the Armoury-Complete!

-A guide to general Imperial Guard tactics: [i]Arguleon Veq is half way done!

-A guide to armoured companies: [i]Wargamer is Done!!

-Imperial Guard formations-How to set your army up at deployment: -Complete

-A guide on how to get the most out of one cadian heavy weapons box (with pictures, preferably from a person who can paint well and take pictures very clearly.): Gorcorya is doing this...

- How to paint a guard army using the construction line idea (Again, clear pictures good paint job required-picture please!) : Dom is doing this...

General Infantry conversion guide-Colonel Sanders is doing this...

-Catachan Guide: JD and Alex and Gorcyca are doing this...

Sentinal Guide-Complete! Thanks Pirate!

Droptroops Conversion/Tactics guide-Complete! Thanks Deadnight!

[hr]
To sign up, simply post in this topic which you'd like to write...

When you've completed your section, please PM it to AfterCresent, MalVeuX and Wargamer.

This is going to be awesome.

Old 22 Mar 2006, 21:06   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer
Default Re: Reorganizing The Imperial Guard Tactica

Stickied on your behalf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Mar 2006, 23:33   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

I would love to do the deployment peice!

A suggestion, though... some of the tactics, such as my guide to using advisors [which should be the latest post in the old topic] was made for 4th edition, so if whoever is doing general tactics could include the 4th edition stuff.

Additional to that, there are some tactics [like my Napoleonic{second to last}] which works for both.

How will these be handled? I know there is more out there...

Stankov

PS: If I can get on my computer later, I'll probably have it done by tomorrow. Good idea, by the by!

[img width=650 height=288]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a99/GeneralStankov/finalcopy.jpg[/img]
Ge. Stankov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Mar 2006, 20:49   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

[size=14pt]Imperial Guard Armoury[/size]

[size=12pt]Single Handed Weapons[/size]
-These are weapons, that as the name implies, can be used by a single hand

Bolt Pistol: A good replacement for the standard laspistol, fire a bolt, which is basically a very large explosive bullet. Is stronger then the laspistol and actually has an AP rating. Very Cheap too, good for assault units.

Plasma Pistol: A very expensive replacement for the laspistol. Great against high toughness, high armour save units, but has the same range as any pistol, and might overheat! Consider equipping Officers armed with plasma pistols with carapace armour. Since in the 4th Ed, you'll get a better save from the overheat rules instead of a 5+ save. Best used on Tech-Priest Enginseers (fluffy too) as they have a 3+ save and one of the best models to survive such a nasty turn of events.

Power Fist: Use an energy field to increase the users strength, but, since the standard guardsman is very weak, this doesn't help you much at all. Very Expensive, for it's uses...Great for Commissars, as they cannot be singled out. Officers can, so don't give them to an Officer.

Power Weapon: Use an energy field to eliminate the enemies armour save. A cheaply priced and effective weapon for a commanding officer. Highly recommended for Officers as it is the cheapest power weapon in the galaxy and very effective in those last ditch effort to rid your deployment zones of unwanted assault troops. Always consider having a pistol or CCW as well to gain +1 attack.

Force Weapon: A weapon that is treated as an power weapon, but has the potential to kill the enemy outright with a psychic attack. Psykers only!Expensive.

Close Combat Weapon: This can be as simple as a club or a knifes, but in Cadian regiments, these are Chainswords. Very cheap, and when combined with a pistol, they can be a lethal force in close combat.

[size=12pt]Two Handed Weapons[/size]
-Weapons that need two hands to wield, like a submachine gun.

Bolter: Much like a bolt pistol, except it has a much larger range. Very cheap.

Eviscerator: A gigantic chainsword infused with energy shields. Counts as a power fist, and gets a special bonus against vehicles. Expensive though, but worth it.

Shotgun: Used mainly in boarding actions, this weapon fires a hail of solid slugs. Very cheap!

Stormbolter: A rapid firing bolter, usually with two barrels and an increased supply of ammunition. Medium priced, good against armies with weak armour saves. Consider for shooty Infantry squads but maybe not for Armoured Fist squads since their added mobility would render the bolter relatively useless where a bolt pistol would be better suited.

[size=12pt]Heavy Weapons[/size]
-These are your gut-buster weapons, usually needs a gunner and a reloader to crew, very heavy and difficult to reposition.

Heavy bolter: A very strong form of the bolter. Uses a larger round, which can easily blow a torso sized hole in a wall, and fires very fast. Very good against horde armies, and the amount of shots it gets are good compared to the low guardsmen BS, not to mention the price is pretty good.

Mortar: Uses a spring and a small explosive to launch a fragmentation round high into the air. Very cheap, and very good against horde armies, not to mention their ability to cause pinning. Great in a large group. Indirect fire as well.

Autocannon: A medium rate of fire weapon, fire a spearhead sized shell that can do a large amount of damage to a tank. The price is good, and it will definitely earn it's point back!

Missile Launcher: Your all around weapon, as it can damage tanks with a krak round, or infantry with a frag round. Can easily damage both tanks and infantry well, so it will definitely earn it's points back.

Lascannon: Fires a coherent beam of light, almost like a juiced up lasgun. The strongest man portable weapon the imperial guard have, can easily damage any tank. Yet, it's very expensive, and it's low rate of fire don't like the guardsman's low BS.

[size=12pt]Wargear[/size]
-These are items that work passively, or are out of the users control...

Bionics: Basically replacement limbs, which can be hit instead of your character dying. Medium priced, doesn't work much.

Carapace Armour: Large plates of armaplast that have been molded over bodyparts. Gives you a better armour save.

Frag Grenades: A Small explosive that send shrapnel at the enemy, useful when you charge. Consider for forward moving units such as Armoured Fists.

Holy Relic: An expensive item that may inspire your troops to glorious actions and self sacrifice. Expensive. Priests only. Not always needed if careful deployment is observed.

Honorifica Imperialis: A great honour, an expensive item that gives the equipped character a HSO based statline.

Krak grenades: A grenades, that is designed to implode on a target, very good against tanks. Cheap, not very good.

Macharian Cross: A metal rewarded for good tactical thinking, gives you officer a chance to re plan... High priced for what it does.

Master Crafted Weapon: The weapons creator took special care in making this. Helps the weapon hit in close combat or if given to a ranged weapon, will give re-roll to it's To Hit dice. Medium priced.

Medallion Crimson: A medal rewarded for grave wounds taken, yet still fight on for the Emperor. Shows how he's especially tough...

Melta Bombs: Large melta charges that are very, very good against tanks...

Purity Seals: A show of bravery, helps the owner recover from a bad time faster...

Refractor Field: A neck mounted energy shield, that actually give the owner an invulnerable save. Good for officers.

Regimental Standard: The regiments pride and glory, you dare not let this fall. Counts as a company standard, yet inspires the men to fight on.

Rosarius: A badge of faith, gives the user a very good invulnerable save. Priests only

Edit by FT: Expanded a couple of points
Old 23 Mar 2006, 21:15   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to wonderboy

want me to do one on catachans?

i will handle the HW part.

edit***- when i sais i would handle the HW part, i meant making the heavy weapons platforms.....

2000 points
1500 points
my army lists.
wonderboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Mar 2006, 22:41   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorcyca (formerly fingolfin)
want me to do one on catachans?

i will handle the HW part.
Hey why dont you me and =JD= do a catachan section, that would be cool

Turning and Turning in the widening gyre, the falcon cannot hear the falconer; Things fall apart; The centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world.
W.B. Yeates
The Second Coming

Thanks to Drobot for the sig
Inquisitor Walsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Mar 2006, 23:51   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Sure, JD, Alex and Gorcyca, make a Generalized Catachan guide.

I'd be good for any new player.
Old 24 Mar 2006, 00:07   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to jhrovii

Well, not being a regular IG player I can only offer limited advice. However as far as weapons go I have spent enough time playing 40k and using those weapons in other armies that I am fully aware of the capabilites, costs, and trade-offs in the IG. I have studied the IG codex and online IG forums for over a year, so while there might be some more educated, I certainly believe I am the most willing and able.

I can only offer advice such as that already taken by you, Aftercrescent. Obviously I'm going to campaign for myself and write up a tactica for IG weapons. You can take it or leave it.

I
could do any of the modelling ideas, but only if noone ever volunteers (or is forced) within a long time.

So I'll write up my schpeal and get it to you (Mkoll, Aftercrescent, or Waregasmander) as soon as possible, Dave.
jhrovii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Mar 2006, 00:51   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Sure, but instead of posting it in here, please PM it to MalVeux, Wargamer, and Myself, and We'll re-organize it to fit in.
Old 24 Mar 2006, 02:09   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to wonderboy

well, i wouldnt bring JD into this just yet (he isnt a conscript.. he sould get a say as to whather or ont he wants to work on it...) but, we have been planning a new catachan tactica for some time.

see revised post above.

2000 points
1500 points
my army lists.
wonderboy is offline   Reply With Quote