Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Hellhounds plus infantry advance, good attack force?
Closed Thread
Old 22 Mar 2006, 03:41   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Hellhounds plus infantry advance, good attack force?

Thinking about feilding two hellhounds with my regular 1500 pt list at all times, this would be my assault element of my army, plus infantry.

the first platoon would be static and provide cover fire with the fire support teams, the command HQ and platon command would keep these squads around. Leaman Russ would support these troops

Meanwhile the helhounds would move forward with the assault platoon behind, I think this would throw off my opponent, (Gurad advancing?!)

storm trooper would be suicide squad for enemy armor or termies

Maybe the Leaman Russ could get heavy flamers instead and advance as well do not know

here is list

Doctrines
Iron Discipline
Storm Troopers

HSO
Iron Discipline, Powerweapon
two plasma guns, one trooper with CCW, vet, company standard
116 pt

fire support
heavy bolters
80 pt

fire support
auto cannons
95 pts

Elites
Storm Troopers
two melta guns
70pts

Troop 1

JO
iron discipline
stormbolter
two plasma guns
70 pts

squad
lascannon
85 pts

squad
lascannon
85 pts

squad
lascannon
85 pts

squad
lascannon
85 pts

Troop 2
(assault platoon)

JO
Iron dicsipline
Honorifica imperialis, power weapon
flamer, Melta, two veterans with CCW
total 98

squad
vet serg
flamer

squad
vet serg
flamer
72 pts

squad
vet serg
melta
76 pts

fast attack

Hellhound
extra armor smoke
123 pts

Hellhound
extra armor smoke
123 pts

Heavy suport
Leman Russ
Lascannon, Heavy bolters
total 165

total pts 1500

Is the assault platoon with hellhounds good idea or destined for failure, keep in mind the troop would not charge into combat just advance and hold or take ground.

Anyways commits or whatever
"If your soldiers show fear in the face of the Emperor's enemies, shoot the first man that falters. If this does not work shoot a man until the unit is either functioning properly or decimated. There can be no fear in the Imperial Guard."

----

Comment attributed to Commissar Ran Creed Attached to the Savlar 42nd

Status -- Killed by Friendly Fire
Old 22 Mar 2006, 06:00   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff
Default Re: Hellhounds plus infantry advance, good attack force?

If you want to bring along some extra assault power think of feilding some sentinels.

For assault power the Catachan pattern Sentinel is the better of the four normal ones. Give it smoke launchers and it makes for a potent killing machine when it gets close. Cheap too
Old 22 Mar 2006, 06:53   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

the list looks good, may i suggest deep striking the stormtroopers? or maybe even the entire assault platoon. it'll take two or three turns, but thats jsut about as much as it would usually take and they wont recieve asmuch incoming fire. also, a chimera with ogyrns would work wonders. and since you dont have to tell your opponent what you have in the chimera they'll spend the first turn or two thinking its an armoured fist.

Old 22 Mar 2006, 08:10   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

You want Ogryns, pure and simple.

One one side of the board, put all your shooty units. On the other, put all your assault units.

I guarantee that with Ogryns leading the charge of all those Guardsmen, plus the Hellhounds, your firebase will have a field-day. Guard assault units are gun-magnets. Enjoy the relief they bring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 22 Mar 2006, 11:44   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

I'd take a Hellhound instead of a Leman with heavy flamer-just because the range is way cooler with a Hellhound.
Old 22 Mar 2006, 15:05   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I have to agree with the vengemod here. When it comes to IG assaults, chimera mounted ogryns are the way to go.

I'm also going to try some rough riders (no lances, the game mechanics are nice, but I'm not thrilled with the modeling and fluff aspects of "hunting lances"), now that I've finally found a way to make ones that I'll actually like. I'm going to mount plastic cadians on the sabrecats from the ogre kingdoms hunters. Are they going to be a hard-hitting unit? Nope, They're strictly for tying up shooty units. Nothing worse for a space marine player than a heavy bolter devastator squad locked up by a half-dozen puny guardsmen! Each marine will kill .22 rough riders per turn, while the rough riders will kill "only" .11 marines each (.17 each on the charge), but that is vastly preferable to facing four heavy bolters! That should allow me to keep the devs locked for turns 2, 3, and 4, at a minimum....

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 22 Mar 2006, 18:14   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I like the idea of Ogryns also, but I have none at the moment and will not have any for awhile.

I might consider taking the drop troops function for the assault platoon, model them with grav chutes and such.

Also, what do you think about trading in two of the squads for a Hard Vet. Squad with assault weapons and CCW.

Will make the Storm Troopers Deep strike, forgot to add on the points
"If your soldiers show fear in the face of the Emperor's enemies, shoot the first man that falters. If this does not work shoot a man until the unit is either functioning properly or decimated. There can be no fear in the Imperial Guard."

----

Comment attributed to Commissar Ran Creed Attached to the Savlar 42nd

Status -- Killed by Friendly Fire
Old 22 Mar 2006, 20:03   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishoneall
I like the idea of Ogryns also, but I have none at the moment and will not have any for awhile.

I might consider taking the drop troops function for the assault platoon, model them with grav chutes and such.
Huh? You have money for forgeworld, but not for ogryns? ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishoneall
Also, what do you think about trading in two of the squads for a Hard Vet. Squad with assault weapons and CCW.
Terrible idea. They're still basically Guardsmen. The only guardsmen that should be considered for assault duties are HQ squads (rarely. It's better to use them for LD), rough riders (but expect them to die immediately), and conscripts in large numbers(quantity has a quality all its own).

Better safe than sorry I guess.
-Wargamer

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 22 Mar 2006, 20:12   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

March, you might want to edit your post, you kind of give away a bit of the veteran stat line...
Old 22 Mar 2006, 21:14   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Hell hounds are awesome and I use 2 in my army to run the flanks. Great against 4+ armies, not as effective against 3+ but you still get 1-3 models failing their armor save thanks to the tough str value of the inferno cannon. They are also more resilent since 3rd edition
Closed Thread