Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

The Immortal Valkyries of Dianoness (Brief Fluff and Army List)
Old 18 Mar 2006, 17:16   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default The Immortal Valkyries of Dianoness (Brief Fluff and Army List)

Brief History:

The people of Dianoness have been unaffiliated with the rest of humanity since before the foundation of the Imperium. Colonized by religious pilgrims during the Dark Age of Technology, situated in the far southeast of the galaxy, Dianoness quietly defended itself from occasional alien attack for thousands of years, until it faced an opponant it could not overcome, a splinter fleet of Hive Fleet Kracken.
It was then that the people of Dianoness were forced to cast off their beloved isolation, and call for aid from the Tau with whom they had reluctantly rtaded from some decades.
With the help of the Tau the tyranids were ultimately cleansed, and Dianoness became a former member of the Tau Empire.

Overview:
The Valkyries of Dianoness use the Imperial Guard army list with doctrines to accomodate their unique nature. While the cloning facilities themselves are ancient and expensive, the organic material needed to make the clones themselves are cheap and easy to come by, and an adult-sized body can be grown within only a few hours. As often as possible, usually on the eve of battle, the minds of the Valkyries are recorded and stored, so that any warriors that fall on the battlefield can be quickly replaced, embued with all of the experience and skills of a soldier that is, essentially, immortal, being reborn into a new body each time she is felled on the battlefield.

Army List (1850 Points) Model Count: 157

Doctrines:
Abhumans, Afriel Strain, Drop Troops, Close Order Drill, Veterans.

HQ:
Command Squad with Junior Officer with Boltgun, and 4 Valkyries with Plasma Guns.

Elite:

Hardened Veteran Squad. 4 Valkyries with Lasguns, 3 Valkyries with Plasma Guns, 1 Valkyrie with Missile Launcher, and a Veteran Sergeant with Boltgun.

Hardened Veteran Squad. 4 Valkyries with Lasguns, 3 Valkyries with Plasma Guns, 1 Valkyrie with Missile Launcher, and a Veteran Sergeant with Boltgun.

Troops:

Infantry Platoon:
Platoon Command Squad with Junior Officer with Boltgun, and 4 Valkyries with Plasma Guns.
Infantry Squad with Meltagun, Missile Launcher, and Veteran Sergeant with Boltgun.
Infantry Squad with Flamer, Missile Launcher, and Veteran Sergeant with Boltgun.

Infantry Platoon:
Platoon Command Squad with Junior Officer with Boltgun, and 4 Valkyries with Plasma Guns.
Infantry Squad with Meltagun, Missile Launcher, and Veteran Sergeant with Boltgun.
Infantry Squad with Flamer, Missile Launcher, and Veteran Sergeant with Boltgun.

Infantry Platoon:

Infantry Platoon:

Infantry Platoon:

Battle Strategy:
Generally, the ten infantry squads form a main battle line, while the Command Squads and Hardened Veterans drop in and rapid fire with their plasma guns. The entire army may deep strike if I want it to, or it may all start on the table.

Conversions:
I've just started building this all-female guard army. The models are made by taking the legs and female torsos from the Dark Elf line in Warhammer, and giving them the plastic arms from Space Marine Scouts. The Grav Chutes will be from the Forgeworld Elysian line, which I'm going to get at Games Day next month. All weapons are represented by a brace of pistols, so, a pair of plasma pistols is a plasma gun, a pair of flamer pistols is a flamer, a pair of laspistols is a lasgun, etc.

Let me know what you think.
Man, that's the joy of Anime! To revel in the complete and utter wastefullness of making an unstoppable nuclear-powered combat andriod in the shape of a cute little girl, who has the ability to fall in love and wears an enormous bow in her hair.

Don't tell me that you fell for the MTV lie?
The MTV lie is that people who rebel against tradition are thnking for themselves, while those who follow tradition are just sheep who do not think.
It is, of course, completely untrue. The decision to follow tradition is just as much an exercize of free will as is the decision to depart from it.
Doctor Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Mar 2006, 20:16   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar
Default Re: The Immortal Valkyries of Dianoness (Brief Fluff and Army List)

first off, what do you mean by valkyries? is it just a name?

second,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Thunder
Doctrines:[/b] Abhumans, Afriel Strain
never heard of these doctrines. 3rd edition?

third: your better of trying to have as many squads in a single platoon as possible. this way you dont ahve to buy asmany platoons, which means you wont waste as many points on 5 man command squads.

lastly: having 4 plasma guns in a single command squad isn't good. it means that as soon as someone dies you lose a special weapon, making your command squad be an easy bunch of victory points. you need more infantry squads to give you some meat shields.

personally i would suggest merging the platoons, having only two plasmas per squad and getting some special weapons teams. they would have the same role as your command squad but they would cost less points. giving the enemy less VPs, making them less of a target.

Elessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Mar 2006, 20:41   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: The Immortal Valkyries of Dianoness (Brief Fluff and Army List)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elessar
first off, what do you mean by valkyries? is it just a name?
Valkyries are the female warriors that follow the rules for guardsmen in this army. They "count as" guardsmen, but are not part of the Imperium, so are not technically guardsmen.

Quote:
second,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Thunder
Doctrines:[/b] Abhumans, Afriel Strain
never heard of these doctrines. 3rd edition?
The Abhuman doctrines are tournament-legal doctrines that were published in White Dwarf a few months back. Afriel Strain in an upgrade that gives your Guard the "They Shall Know No Fear" universal special rule, among other things.

Quote:
third: your better of trying to have as many squads in a single platoon as possible. this way you dont ahve to buy asmany platoons, which means you wont waste as many points on 5 man command squads.
Those Command squads are the marine-killers in my army. They drop in and rapid fire with their Plasma Guns. In my opinion, they are the best anti-marine purchase in the game. I mean, 80 some odd points for eight plasma shots is a bargain and a half.

Quote:
lastly: having 4 plasma guns in a single command squad isn't good. it means that as soon as someone dies you lose a special weapon, making your command squad be an easy bunch of victory points. you need more infantry squads to give you some meat shields.
All guard units are easy victory points. Everything is expendable. What is important is whether or not they'll hit the enemy hard before they die, and those command squads are some of the hardest hitting units I've ever fielded on the turn they land. Remember that drop-troop armies work a little different then regular guard armies.

Quote:
personally i would suggest merging the platoons, having only two plasmas per squad and getting some special weapons teams. they would have the same role as your command squad but they would cost less points. giving the enemy less VPs, making them less of a target.
Special Weapons squads can't take Plasma Guns, and I play against marines 90% of the time.
Think of it this way: After they land, they are probably going to die no matter what I give them, so why not give them the weapons that will hit marines the hardest on the turn they land? If they live to fire a second volley, then that is just icing on the cake.

Man, that's the joy of Anime! To revel in the complete and utter wastefullness of making an unstoppable nuclear-powered combat andriod in the shape of a cute little girl, who has the ability to fall in love and wears an enormous bow in her hair.

Don't tell me that you fell for the MTV lie?
The MTV lie is that people who rebel against tradition are thnking for themselves, while those who follow tradition are just sheep who do not think.
It is, of course, completely untrue. The decision to follow tradition is just as much an exercize of free will as is the decision to depart from it.
Doctor Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote