Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

4th Boarding battalion- (<-Army List->)
Old 16 Mar 2006, 13:52   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default 4th Boarding battalion- (<-Army List->)

Heya folks, here is the 4th, around 800pts, but I need a suggestion to bring my list up to 1000.

[size=12pt]HQ:[/size]
Heroic Senior Officer:
-Power Sword
-Bolt Pistol
-Carapace Armour
-Refractor Field
-Frag Grenades
Total:96

Command Squad:
Master Vox Caster
-Lasgun
-Frag Grenades
Veteran Medic
-AutoPistol and Close Combat Weapon
-Medikit
-Frag grenades
-Carapace Armour
Veteran
-Close Combat Weapon and Laspistol
-Frag Grenades
-Carapace Armour
Veteran
-Close Combat Weapon and Laspistol
-Frag Grenades
-Carapace Armour
Total: 68

Mortar Support Squad
-Mortars x3
-Guardsmen x6
Total: 80

[size=12pt]HQ Total:244 [/size]

[size=12pt]Elite:[/size]
StormTroopers
Veteran Sargeant
-Hell Pistol
-Close Combat Weapon
-Frag Grenades
StormTrooper
-Grenade Laucher
-Frag Grenades
StormTrooper
-Flamer
-Frag Grenades
Stormtroopers x7
-Hellguns
-Frag Grenades
Total: 110
[size=12pt]Elite Total: 110[/size]

[size=12pt]Troops:[/size]

Platoon #1:
Command Squad
Junior Officer
-Bolt Pistol
-Close combat Weapon
Command Squad
Lascannon Team
-Lascannon
-Lasgun
Guardsman
-Lasgun
Guardsman
-Grenade Laucher
Total: 73

Squad 1:
Veteran Sargeant
-Laspistol
-Close Combat Weapon
Heavy bolter team
-Heavy bolter
-Lasgun
Guardsman
-Vox Caster
-Lasgun
Guardsmen
-Grenade Laucher
x5 Guardsmen
-Lasguns
Total:89

Squad 2:
Veteran Sargeant
-Laspistol
-Close Combat Weapon
Missile Laucher Team
-Missile Laucher
-Lasgun
Guardsman
-Vox caster
Guardsman
-Grenade Laucher
x5 Guardsmen
-Lasguns
Total: 94
[size=12pt]Troop #1 Total: 256[/size]

Armoured Fist Squad
Veteran sargeant
-Close Combat weapon
-Laspistol
Autocannon Team
-Autocannon
-Lasgun
Guardsman
-Vox Caster
Guardsman
-Flamer
x5 Guardsmen
-Lasguns
All with Frag grenades
Total: 102

Chimera
-Turret Multilaser
-Hull Heavy Bolter
-Hunter Killer Missile
-Heavy Stubber
Total: 107

[size=12pt]Troop #2 Total: 209[/size]

[size=12pt]Army Total: 809[/size]

I&#39;d like some advice, am I missing anti tank? Not just advice like "take so and so away" give reason and how I could make up for it or reach 1000 points.

Old 16 Mar 2006, 14:53   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: 4th Boarding battalion- (<-Army List->)

Ok, first off, do not mix storm trooper assault weapons. Its normally a waste, though I have heard good things about a melta flamer combo...

I don&#39;t see Armored fist squads being fluffy at all for a Boarding regiment. No room for tanks in the cramped corridors of an Imperial Ship. The Grenadiers Doctrine could take care of that problem, and you could invest your points into anti tank support squads in your HQ (easily represented as part of the security team for the Captain when he goes on trips.) Maybe buy Carapace armor and a Vet squad armed with 3 Meltas?

Boarding Regiments, or something very similar are detailed rather well in the Dan Abnett book Xenos. They have carapace armor and Grenadiers in large numbers. The standard troopers carried high caliber auto rifles with snub nosed rounds designed to flatten against bulk heads instead of punching through it.

What Doctrines do you use exactly? I suggest

-Grenadiers
-Conscripts (representing press ganged scum given rifles and sent in the direction of the enemy, with no real training)
-Iron Discipline
-Carapace Armor
-Heavy Weapons Platoons/Veterans (to represent special teams armed to the teeth for actions on the ground or emergencies)
Old 16 Mar 2006, 14:56   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

I never use doctraine. Undoctrinated is best.

Yuo know how big starships can be, an armoured vehicle is for ground mission, which this battalion does a lot.
Old 16 Mar 2006, 15:03   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Why would a boarding party which is usually assigned to ships for boarding actions for extended periods deploy to the ground when each planet has a PDF and there are transport ships in the fleet that carry the IG regiments? I agree with Mike regarding the AF being anti-fluffy, if you ever read battlefleet Gothic, boardings are done via boarding ships (30 man) or boarding torpedoes (10 man) for Guard. There is no room for armored vehicles in those little ships. Secondly a ship is meant for people not vehicles, yes there may be enough room for a Chimera in the cargo hold but 90% of the ship hull hatches would be mansized, no fitting a vehicle through there. Please don&#39;t say that your ship is the only ship in the fleet b/c that is total anti-imperial unless you are a system ship but any warp fairing fleet is bigger then one ship and the cargo ships would be carrying any IG ground forces as they are the only ones which can enter atmosphere to deploy them, a imperial cruiser does not get too close to the planet
Go Guard Or Go Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Mar 2006, 15:07   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

It&#39;s not nessicarily combat specified, I understand what you mean, I read the BFG rules too.

A chimera can be used for many other non-game things, such as when the captain of the ship visits ground forces, or just general transport.

Not just combat.

Old 16 Mar 2006, 15:11   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Guard Or Go Home
if you ever read battlefleet Gothic, boardings are done via boarding ships (30 man) or boarding torpedoes (10 man) for Guard.
This I question. A Torpedo is 200ft long! A Hellbore carries a full platoon of Guard, so a Boarding Torpedo could carry at least that, if not a full Company!

Remember the scale, people; a single Lance Turret has a crew of 500.

Quote:
There is no room for armored vehicles in those little ships.
I disagree. You seem to think boarding actions are done by 60 men, whereas realistically they are done by 6,000 to 60,000 men. There&#39;s plenty of room to chuck in a tank or two.

Quote:
Secondly a ship is meant for people not vehicles, yes there may be enough room for a Chimera in the cargo hold but 90% of the ship hull hatches would be mansized, no fitting a vehicle through there.
Right... tell me, if there are no hatches big enough to fit anything larger than a person, how do armies transport tanks, Titans and flyers?

Get a Shark to melt its way into a landing bay designed for storing a Manta Missile Destroyer, and you could fight with a whole bloody armoured company!

Quote:
Please don&#39;t say that your ship is the only ship in the fleet b/c that is total anti-imperial unless you are a system ship but any warp fairing fleet is bigger then one ship and the cargo ships would be carrying any IG ground forces as they are the only ones which can enter atmosphere to deploy them, a imperial cruiser does not get too close to the planet
...wha&#39;? That makes no sense whatsoever...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Mar 2006, 15:20   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

All Hail.

See I didn&#39;t even know all the stuff wargamer said, in he defends me with hesitation.

Even if the dauntless is a Light Cruiser , that&#39;s huge! I think the armoured fist squad is justified. Because even if it gets destroyed, or not, you have a mobile HQ area, or some cover. Yuo don&#39;t always land your assualts in a corridor. Ships are huge, and you&#39;d prbably modify the Chimera to be able to bust things open.
Old 16 Mar 2006, 15:27   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

I believe the Dauntless is about 3.5km long.

A Battleship is about 7.5km long, a normal Cruiser is around 5km.

A 3.5km long ship should have enough room to deploy armour.

Plus, we can get really inventive with fluff... for example, on a ship the size of a Dauntless, the "Boarding" crews probably would double as ground-assault forces (remember, this is not an Imperial Transporter, so would not have Guard abaord).

A Dauntless will normally be used for patrol operations. It&#39;s superior speed makes it an excellent ship to patrol a system, or several systems, and most of the time the Dauntless and it&#39;s crew will be the first, last and only line of defence against the enemies of Mankind. Should they run across a pirate base, alien raiders or an anti-Imperial rebellion, it will be down to the Dauntless to restore order as best it can.

Whilst ships and docks can be pounded with guns, there are targets that will not fall so easily. Relics must be saved, important officials evacuated, and sometimes a planet is too valuable to simply bomb from orbit. After all, what good is a mining world with no mines? What good is an agri-world if the fields are burned to ash?

Ultimately, a planet must be taken by force, won back with lasgun and shotgun, knife and chainsword, bravery and faith...

...Boarding Batallion, step forward.

Quote:
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 16 Mar 2006, 15:34   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Well I am not going to argue but in the BFG blue book it gives you an idea of the men in a boarding torpedo, lets remember a ship doesn&#39;t fire just one nor does it launch only 1 boarding ship. In the fluff, novels etc the actual ships might be long but they mention carrying men, not vehicles and it gives you an idea that each ship, torpedoe is small in manpower and not transporting hundreds of men.

No I don&#39;t think think a boarding action is done by just a few guys, they are done by hundreds but you have to remember each marker in BFG represents a squadron of ships. So if each transport ship represents 12 ships we are talking about 600 men in the ship marker but each ship carrys only 50 men. A torpedo comprises a salvo of mini torpedos probably 20-30 of them which represents 200-300 troops in the salvo being fired not 1000-3000.

As for a single dauntless cruiser to be travelling through the warp by itself doesn&#39;t make a lot of sense, the whole tactica of BFG according to fluff is they operate in at least 2 ships and majority more. But I already mentioned if it is a system ship it might be by istelf

Anyways, I am no expert and this is just what I have interpreted by reading and playing BFG. Also you asked for our opinions and we gave it, no one is attacking you. I still don&#39;t think an armored fist company fits into the fluff of a boarding unit, but why do you care if I agree with you or not. There is no need to defend people or attack people, it is just someones opinion. Some people think taking 2 troop choices and 3 heavy, 3 elite, 3 fast and 2 hq is fair. I don&#39;t but it really doesn&#39;t matter what we think it only matters what you think. If you can&#39;t accept honest opinion then don&#39;t post a list and ask people what they think. You can&#39;t justify to someone why you think your opinion is right over somebody elses, just say thank you and I appreciate your views and do what you still want to do. If you want an AF squad then take one, you can say my army has special boarind things that allow me to deploy tanks in space via such and such, do what you want I still don&#39;t think it is fluffy with the army your wrote about etc. But thats my opinion
Go Guard Or Go Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Mar 2006, 15:44   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Guard Or Go Home
Well I am not going to argue but in the BFG blue book it gives you an idea of the men in a boarding torpedo, lets remember a ship doesn&#39;t fire just one nor does it launch only 1 boarding ship. In the fluff, novels etc the actual ships might be long but they mention carrying men, not vehicles and it gives you an idea that each ship, torpedoe is small in manpower and not transporting hundreds of men.
Got a page reference for this? It really doesn&#39;t fit with the descriptions of the standard Plasma-Torpedoes...

Quote:
As for a single dauntless cruiser to be travelling through the warp by itself doesn&#39;t make a lot of sense, the whole tactica of BFG according to fluff is they operate in at least 2 ships and majority more. But I already mentioned if it is a system ship it might be by istelf.
Okay, so two Dauntless ships run around together. The point is that not everything the Imperium does is on a grand scale. What a lot of people seem to forget is that most of the battles in the 40K universe are hum-drum things; a routine patrol coming across alien raiders, a localised rebellion being countered by Arbites, a Guard garisson fighting off local Ork warbands... it&#39;s likely these patrols represent the only Imperial contact the system has for months, if not years.

Quote:
Anyways, I am no expert and this is just what I have interpreted by reading and playing BFG. Also you asked for our opinions and we gave it, no one is attacking you. I still don&#39;t think an armored fist company fits into the fluff of a boarding unit, but why do you care if I agree with you or not. There is no need to defend people or attack people, it is just someones opinion.
You stated an opinion as to why he should not bring an Armoured Fist. I stated an opinion as to why he should. A lot of people set score by their army being "fluffy". It is the fluff-accuracy of the above force I am defending.

Quote:
Some people think taking 2 troop choices and 3 heavy, 3 elite, 3 fast and 2 hq is fair. I don&#39;t but it really doesn&#39;t matter what we think it only matters what you think. If you can&#39;t accept honest opinion then don&#39;t post a list and ask people what they think. You can&#39;t justify to someone why you think your opinion is right over somebody elses, just say thank you and I appreciate your views and do what you still want to do
You can&#39;t justify your opinion over someone elses? I think you&#39;ll find you can... anyway, I did not state you were wrong, I simply provided reasoning to counter the points your opinion raised.

The maxim of the board is, as I recall, "don&#39;t want to be challenged? Don&#39;t post." You have raised points to suggest his force is invalid in including an Armoured Fist. If you didn&#39;t want evidence to the contrary, why did you post in the first place?

Quote: