Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Army list, new idea
Closed Thread
Old 15 Mar 2006, 20:49   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar
Default Army list, new idea

The guys at my gaming club had an armageddon campaign a whiles back, and so have loads of desert/wasteland terrain with the odd urban and jungle maps through in. So as to not waste this, we've decided armageddon got off easy, and needs a new war. This campaign will be loosyly based on the Strategy maps of Battle for middle earth and the Total War series. where the outcome of one battle will determine that of another, and generals will have to decide which 'region' to move to. each region will give them a certain bonus, will have a certain terrain, and so on. so that there will be two strategy phases: world map, and battle map. For a main army we will use 2000 points, 1000 points for splinter armies, and 500 point scout armies(combat patrol rules). I'll be incharge of the Helsreach Imperial Battle Group and my mission is to clear the area around helsreach: re-enforce the hemlock cordon, destroy the ork roks, clear hel's highway and re-take helreach itself. Fluffwise my army consists of the Teutonian 633rd Urban, 64th Armoured, 7th Specialized, Arielen 5th Riflers, the 1st Norksa regiment, the hemlock cordon is being held by the Guerra 1st through 5th regiments. If all goes to plan i should be joined by other imperial forces at helsreach to assault the city. all other imperial players are incharge of clearing a certain area, which will lead them to helsreach eventaully, opposition forces(tau eldar chaos and orks) are in charge of destroying as many armies as possible. the final battle will be a mega battle with all players. imperial army size will be determined by how they dealt with opposition on the way to the city, opposition forces will be determined by how many key locations they managed to hold from the imperials. so here's my main army list, static but big:

Doctrines:
Hardened Veterans
Iron Discipline

HQ
HSO with bolter and iron discipline
Medic
Master Vox
Commissar with laspistol and CCW
X2

Mortar Squad
Fire support squad with heavy bolters

Elites
Hardened veterans
Heavy Bolter
3 plasma guns
X2

Troops(2 paltoons)
JO
X2

Infantry squad
Vox caster
Grenade Launcher
Missile Launcher
X3

Infantry squad
Vox caster
Grenade Launcher
Autocannon
X3

Infantry squad
Vox caster
Grenade Launcher
Lascannon
X4

Heavy Support
Leman Russ
Hull and sponsons bolters
X2

2000 points

id prefer to have all my squads with either autocannons or missile launchers, but i dont want to borrow from another army since i want my painting to match. so ive only got 3 M launchers and 3 A cannons.

ive tried something ive never done with guard before, choosing 2 HQ choices. i thought that since my entire army depends on their vox casters for leadership, and their wont be much cover around id need two to keep moral up. what do you guys think? is there anything i can do with JOs? i usually leave them plain since i cant think of anything usefull to do with em.

Old 16 Mar 2006, 14:47   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Army list, new idea

This sounds like a really cool idea. Long-running campaign where the outcome of a battle and the choices you make outside of the war on the table really makes a difference in who you're facing next and in what way etc. Just hope my group of gamers can pull this off too.

However, you're trying something new with the double Command Platoons, which actually isn't legal. The codex says one, and only one, command platoon is allowed. No more, no less. So, unless you're group have skipped this rule, then your army is breaking the rules.

And yes, you're right when you point out that this is a static army (no kidding : ). What I'd like to see is that you take the heavy bolters off of your veterans squads since they are probably more useful to keep mobile.
If you keep both HB and plasmas in the unit, then one of the weapons will be obsolete. Maybe you would want to have three groups. One full group with 3xplasma and 2 smaller groups with HB's.

Another good idea would be to give the JO's Iron Discipline as well. They might not have the Ld 9 of an HSO but, and this is a big but, groups without voxes, such as the mortar squads or the HB-teams, would benefit from this, in case the HSO is too far away, or even wiped. Just the fact that they may regroup when under half strength makes me always take this doctrine and use it on all my officers. It has proven priceless so far.

Anyways, I hope you can understand what I'm saying, I know my english isn't the best. And hopefully I've been able to contribute with something.

Oh! One more thing: Good luck!
Old 16 Mar 2006, 16:48   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rioteer
However, you're trying something new with the double Command Platoons, which actually isn't legal. The codex says one, and only one, command platoon is allowed. No more, no less. So, unless you're group have skipped this rule, then your army is breaking the rules.
the guard is my main army, my favorite army, id prefer a single guard army over 2 of any other kind, and yet, i never noticed that the command platoon is a one only. odd really, thanks for point that out to me *wanders off scratching head*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rioteer
And yes, you're right when you point out that this is a static army (no kidding : ). What I'd like to see is that you take the heavy bolters off of your veterans squads since they are probably more useful to keep mobile.
If you keep both HB and plasmas in the unit, then one of the weapons will be obsolete. Maybe you would want to have three groups. One full group with 3xplasma and 2 smaller groups with HB's.
i wanted to keep the units flexible, since hardened veterans are so useful. i thought that with 3 plasmas they could deal with incoming vechicles and combined rapidfire and heavy bolter would make them great against hordes. but their main purpose is to reduce marine assault squads to SMurfy goo on turn one, and heavy bolters are great at this. im not particularly bothered about mobility, since these guys will infiltrate into cover a blaze away at anything that so much as blinks.

Old 16 Mar 2006, 19:35   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Sounds like a [smite word] good list to me! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Old 17 Mar 2006, 09:32   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Looks solid, though you may ne outmanouvered when it comes to objective taking... though i suppose you could just blow everything to pieces instead

Closed Thread