Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Converting a Guard Army to a Deck Patrol
Closed Thread
Old 10 Mar 2006, 15:19   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Converting a Guard Army to a Deck Patrol

You're probably wondering what in the blue moon I'm talking about.

Yeah. Well, I've spent some time killing enemies of the Emperor on the ground for a while, and to be frank, I'm in need of change.

So, to appease my lust, I've decided to convert my entire group of Guardsmen, to boarding action soldiers of a starcruiser.

Obviously, certain names would have to be changed, For example, the title of Trooper, would be changed to Ensign, and here is where I go wrong.

Trooper-Ensign
Corporal-[?]
Sargeant-[?]
Lieutenant-[?]
Senior Officer-[?]

(Obviously, I'd like you folks to help me by filling it out, I'm pretty naval clueless.)

My red Guardsmen of the Ellixian 27th just won't do either, and also, during the confusion of a boarding action, how can you tell your officers apart? Fixed, by me.

All Ensign and above ranks, will have their right shoulderpads coloured black, with standard red helmets. When the rank of Sargeant is reached in my painting line, all sargeant ranks and above get Green helmets. This is so in a total boarding disaster, you know who to flock to for leadership.

Ensign's:Black shoulderpad-Red armour
Corporal:Black shoulderpad-Red Armour
Sargeant:Black Shoulderpad-Green Helmet-Red Armour
Lieutenant: Black shoulderpad-Green Helmet-Red armour
& Higher: Same as Lieutenant.

Also, any soldier in a command squad has the same colour scheme as a sargeant.

Armoured Fist squads, a challenge. Ha! The aid of listening to "Carry On" by Manowar inspired me in no particular way, except it's really cool.

All armoured fist squad members have Green Shoulderpads instead of Black, to tell them apart. Pretty simple, now on to the fluff, where it's getting confusing.

Here we have a challenge, I'm an idiot, I have no idea what ship I could base my Deck Patrol on, as I don't want to interfer with already-written fluff, but I want a sense of importance.
(Aid is needed here, Wargamer, lend me your steel and help me here)

And finally, I need a name, because obviously every being needs to be born and based on a planet, but again, I don't want to interfere with current fluff.

Help is greatly need, and I would appreciate suggestions a lot, I will be posting pictures and fluff, and maybe an army list, this is an ongoing topic, i suppose, due to the amount of time March Break gives me.

Old 10 Mar 2006, 15:31   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to wonderboy
Default Re: Coverting a Guard Army to a Deck Patrol

Petty Officer - sargent
officers follow the same pattern as the others.

2000 points
1500 points
my army lists.
Old 10 Mar 2006, 15:36   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorcyca (formerly fingolfin)
Petty Officer - sargent
officers follow the same pattern as the others.
No, they can't, a captain on the ground is a Senior Officer, or a company commander, while a captain on a starcruiser is the captain of the starcruiser.
Old 10 Mar 2006, 15:40   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

they may be a captain of the ship, but the actual rank is more like major, or col.
admirals are incharge of the fleet.

2000 points
1500 points
my army lists.
Old 10 Mar 2006, 15:48   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorcyca (formerly fingolfin)
they may be a captain of the ship, but the actual rank is more like major, or col.
admirals are in charge of the fleet.
Yes, but there are many many more men on a starcruiser then in a company of Guard, so their rank is obviously of higher value.

Also, starcruiser captain probably have years more experience as they have to be aware of every part of their ship and be accountable over every detail, while a company commander has very little to worry about, comparatively.
Old 10 Mar 2006, 15:56   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

but what you are failing to see is that there is the rank and the title. the title may be captian, but they actually command more power.

then again, following your thought pattern the rank of captian would last much longer then. most officers start their career in smaller ships and eventually work their way up.

boarding forces are usually made up of the PDF, so they would follow a different chain of command.

also not all of the ship is part of the fighting force engineers, technitians,etc. never see a combat role( if their lucky...). i would make the JO's 2nd lieutenants, and the SO a first lieutenant if you want to be picky , i guess.

2000 points
1500 points
my army lists.
Old 10 Mar 2006, 16:16   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

a ships security force follows the same chain of command as the rest of the ship. marines, which are basically guardsmen in space are a force that get attached to the ship, much like stormtroopers. these will have there own chain of command, but ultimatly the orders come from whom ever they are attached to. so if your regiment is a ships security force it'll just be provosts with shotguns and batons. hardly a guard army. but if they are a dedicated assault force they are a regiment in their own right, and wouldn't have the same rank system as the ship. if not they would have to change rank every time they're assigned to a different ship. so you can make up whatever rank system pleases you, since rank names are as varied as the regiments themselves. for example in one guard regiment a captain might be incharge of a platoon, while in another a company, and in other he might be in command of the entire regiment.

Old 10 Mar 2006, 16:24   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

OK, assuming I try to bring everything to as close and coherent rank as possible.

I'm trying to make a dedicated Assault force, they spend their whole career aboard whatever ship their assigned to. So, they follow ship ranks, so they could potentially order around a standard crew member of the ship.

Maybe this helps. The Imperial Navy can recruit and train it's own boarding force or ground force, but the Imperiums ground forces cannot make it's own starships.

Using what I said above, it would mean the assault force would base their ranks as closely as possible compared to a ship.

Ask Wargamer if you don't believe me.

Please stop actually trying to argue and help me, give opinions that don't confuse me as much.

Not to mention half the posts on Tauonline I can rarely understand or read.
Old 10 Mar 2006, 16:34   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

http://www.defenselink.mil/specials/.../officers.html for ranks go to this link It is americas rank structure
Old 10 Mar 2006, 16:45   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I noticed that you turn 'trooper' into 'ensign' which is just not appropriate.

An ensign in a modern navy (or a star trek navy for that matter) is the lowest rank officer. The difference between enlisted and commissioned is what separates our 'JO's from our 'guardsmen'... a junior officer, as stated in the official GW literature, can be a 'lieutennant', a 'chieftan', a 'kahn', an 'ensign' or whatever else. His stat line is almost the same as the troops he commands but he has a bit more leadership. So he gets a cool title.

They are deliberately vague about what a 'junior officer' is, and in my opinion, a hardened veteran sergeant could beat the snot out of this academy bred officer even though the officer commands more rank. Much like in all the war movies you see... The lieutennant is technically in charge (the 'ensigns', whatever...) but the sergeants are doing the butt kicking.

On a starship, I imagine the 'enlisted' would be much like our modern enlisted in the navy. Their sergeants are 'Chiefs'... in charge of a certain area of ship operation. The enlisted are laborers, tradesmen... They are mechanics, engine room firemen, lookouts, gunners, loaders, cooks, and otherwise task-oriented jobs involving the day to day running of a starship who - when necessary - have enough small arms training to hold their own against opposing boarding parties. Perhaps there is a small 'security' force dedicated to nothing but close range firefights in the unlikely event that they have to fight in a ship.

Now... if you are looking to DO the boarding - that really has no modern equivalent and is hard to rationalize, as starships are so expensive to risk in such tasks. (like our own navy... kind of prefers to stay the hell away from whatever front they are supporting, attack from range, and screen with fighters... nobody wants to lose a galactic behemoth to a close range boarding action involving swords and such)

What you would probably see in such a scenario is 'assault boats' or some similar idea... kind of like dropships but in space... small, cheap, launched from the Capital ship, loaded with very well armed and elite stormtrooper types who pin a location on an enemy vessel, close in, and attack some vital component - a big spinal cannon or an engine room or a warp-flux-thigamajiggy almost space hulk style... our modern equivalent would be British Royal Commandos or US Navy Seals/Army Special Forces.

The closest equivalent would be the Grenadiers doctrine, so you could make that small but elite force of surgical strikers, without being bothered with hordes of gunners mates, cooks, mechanics and such filling up your troop alotment.