Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Siege regiment fluff
Closed Thread
Old 09 Mar 2006, 00:07   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to legio mortis
Default Siege regiment fluff

I’ve written up some background fluff for my siege regiment. C&C is welcome. Please note that this is somewhat inspired by Dan Abnett’s “Straight Silver” book of the Gaunt’s Ghosts series.

+++++ Date: 2842624/M37
++++++Ref: Inq/040174061872/SC
++++++By: Inquisitor Trilek Gustavus
++++++Re: Imperial Guard service history/ Demiscan Siege Regiments
++Thought: Cogito ergo sum heretic

Honoured Masters,

Upon the discovery of the planet Demiscus, a large planet located in the galactic south of the Segmentum Tempestus, the landing crew was surprised to discover the vast amount of human life. However, several empires cover its surface and are constantly warring for control. Continent long trench systems span the surface, and gains are measured in yards and meters (It seems to be the traditional way of waging war, not unlike those of our siege units.). Most of the various kings and emperors submitted before the terrific might of the Imperium and requested to join the Holy Empire. The few that refused were terminated and the populace was welcomed into the Imperium. The various leaders elected a planetary governor, and began a new life under Imperial rule. They are in a curiously primitive era. They use bolt action autorifles, coal driven locamotives, primitive ground cars, and flimsy planes seemingly made out of wood and canvas.

Demiscus is a large planet with two orbiting moons. The climate is temperate to sub-tropical, with large mountain ranges in the poles and a wide ocean on the western hemisphere.

The normal Demiscan soldier is equipped with a mud-brown or a field gray trench coat, pants, off duty service cap, jacket and shirt depending on the area they are from. They are issued with a mass-produced bolt action autorifle and a steel helmet, almost like a pot, with the brim slightly protruding in the front with it protruding out longer in the back and sides to cover the back and sides of the head and neck. Stick grenades are common, as is the essential entrenching spade. They are fierce trench fighters, due to the harsh training camps and the reputation the must uphold.

The 75th Demiscan Rifles is the planet’s most decorated siege unit. Having fought in several campaigns, they are also the unit with the highest casualty ratio. During the Amassec wars, they breached the heretic fortress at Dukaffin and left not a single survivor. During the Crymine campaign, they were the first to attack the formidable trench systems of the arch heretic’s forces and suffered 95% casualties. Their expert trench raiders have captured many enemies that have given valuable information, disrupted artillery emplacements, and effectively lowered enemy morale. The 75th is currently fighting the Emperor’s enemies on Hyrkon VI. When attacking, they prefer short, quick artillery strikes immediately followed by mass infantry assaults and heavy tanks, although the tanks are hard to come by.

Your Honoured Servant,

Trilek Gustavus

++++++End

I'll get to posting the army list ASAP.
But seriously, a Guardsman, I'm willing to bet, could a) outshoot me, b) give me the beating of my life, and c) shove more squad-based tactics down my throat than I'd ever care to digest. Guard are hard, hard men. Whether or not GW's inconsistent, Marine-worshipping fluff keeps with that, mkay?

Real men fight in tanks!

sig by Kais

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox
Legio why do I always imagine you shouting when I read your posts? :P
Old 09 Mar 2006, 00:21   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Siege regiment fluff

Awesome! I loved Straight Silver, especially the WW1 style armies! The only thing (besides the Ghosts themselves, especially the Vet team from Traitor General) cooler to model I would think would be those Wire Wolves
Old 09 Mar 2006, 01:21   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Altough i have not read the book i think it is awesome and i really like it.
Old 09 Mar 2006, 15:32   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

ah another siege regiments. of all the different types of regiments in the imperium ww1-2 styled trench fighters are the best. im guessing your going to use death krops of krieg doctrines? they dont really scream out trench fighters, but unless you want to use custome rules i guess its the best you've got. will you be using steel legion models? its bloody expensive, but with minimal conversions they look great.

Old 09 Mar 2006, 18:43   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Nice background. Siege Regiments are always fun... though my only problem is they all start to sound samey after a while... there's only so many ways you can make an army that fights in a trench, after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 09 Mar 2006, 18:45   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

well all trench fighting is the same, and seeing as a regiment has to be completely redone after every major offensive. theres hardly much that can be done.

Old 09 Mar 2006, 21:16   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elessar
im guessing your going to use death krops of krieg doctrines? they dont really scream out trench fighters, but unless you want to use custome rules i guess its the best you've got.
Well, I might use some of WG's fantasic options from Codex: Krieg for friendly matches, which would be almost all the time, or I might use the codex doctrines. Note that I'm not going for the most effective army list, but the fluffiest. List up in a bit.
But seriously, a Guardsman, I'm willing to bet, could a) outshoot me, b) give me the beating of my life, and c) shove more squad-based tactics down my throat than I'd ever care to digest. Guard are hard, hard men. Whether or not GW's inconsistent, Marine-worshipping fluff keeps with that, mkay?

Real men fight in tanks!

sig by Kais

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox
Old 10 Mar 2006, 00:32   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Straight Silver was an awesome book, indeed. Sounds kinf of the like the Genswick army they featured in a White Dwarf awhile ago.

Carp. Now I can't get the image of the shovel fighters squad out of my head!

In his own words, the real reason why Mace Windu's lightsaber is purple:
"Oh sure, they say not to get Mountain Dew on your lightsaber, but they never say what will happen if you do!"
Old 10 Mar 2006, 00:34   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

The Genswick were in that book.

Real men fight in tanks!

sig by Kais

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox
Old 10 Mar 2006, 00:37   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I can see some very different cultures and strategies for siege regiments. Light Infintry could be used to represent men sneaking foward to take trenches ahead as well.