Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Hellion 93rd, first battle with Guard Tomorrow, Advice?
Closed Thread
Old 07 Mar 2006, 22:35   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Hellion 93rd, first battle with Guard Tomorrow, Advice?

I am just getting back into the game and am starting an imperial guard army.

The models are assembled but is largely unpainted.

I have found someone to play at a local hobby shop and they will be bringing a 1000pt list of Dark Eldar Witch cult.

I have played against the dark eldar with my Iron warriors army and Blood Angles army and I know their weaknesses and strength's

But, I have not played 40k itself in over a year and I have never fielded the guard

The Mission will be Night fight

Here is my list

HSO
Powerfist, Bolt pistol, Iron Discipline, two Plasma guns,
total - 111

Fire support
Heavy bolters
total - 80

Fire support
Heavy bolters
total - 80

Total HQ - 271

Troop 1
(defense platoon)
JO
bolt pistol CCW, iron dic, four GL
total 78
squad 1
GL, auto cannon
total 83
squad 2
GL, auto cannon
total 83

total troop 1 - 244

troop 2

(Assault Platoon)

40- conscripts
four flamers
total 196

Fast attack

Hellhound
smoke extra armor
total - 123

Heavy support

Leaman russ
lascannon, two heavy bolters
total - 165

Total - 999

Now, if any of you read my other post
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=19557.0
this list above is not the army list I wanted to go to war with it is just what I have at the moment. Plus the 1000pts is kind of smaller than I want, but hey at least I get to play

The idea is the command HQ follows the conscripts (assault platoon) and claims or contestes one of the objectives.

Hopefully this will distract the Dark eldar all game and I can decimate his army with my fire support, defense platoon, and leaman Russ. Then have the Hellhound claim one table corner and win.

I am expecting allot of Raiders but after the first turn my heavy bolters and auto cannons should make short work of them. Also, if I remember correctly, the witches do not have much armor. But if he gets into hand to hand it is all over

Anyways, what are the holes in my list, what are the holes in my plan, lay it on me.

Other units I could use are: Chimera, Storm troopers (I have the very old plastic models), and plenty more infantry.

Let me know guys

P.S. my HSO will ALWAYS have the powerfist because I like it and it is what is on my model, sorry I am just stubborn, so forget about that changing, but the rest it up for discussion

"If your soldiers show fear in the face of the Emperor's enemies, shoot the first man that falters. If this does not work shoot a man until the unit is either functioning properly or decimated. There can be no fear in the Imperial Guard."

----

Comment attributed to Commissar Ran Creed Attached to the Savlar 42nd

Status -- Killed by Friendly Fire
Old 07 Mar 2006, 22:45   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Hellion 93rd, first battle with Guard Tomorrow, Advice?

Forgot Doctrines are
Conscript platoons
Iron Discipline
Close order drill
"If your soldiers show fear in the face of the Emperor's enemies, shoot the first man that falters. If this does not work shoot a man until the unit is either functioning properly or decimated. There can be no fear in the Imperial Guard."

----

Old 08 Mar 2006, 07:00   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

you can just use the 'modify' function at the top of your post if you forget somthing, this is to avoid double posting.

the list looks good, but if your playing night fight i reckomend you clear some points for search lights. you will need these to spot DE raiders early enough for your autocannons to bring them down.

Old 08 Mar 2006, 11:12   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

in my experience with conscripts they are really bad at everything takeing fire holding after fire assaulting shooting and if they get assaulted by anything they break and get run downand att those numbers they have to take 10 casualties to cheak for a test but even then its not that hard to kill 10 guard and after that they break and will be very hard to regroup. With only Ld of 5 they tend to break very easily. All in all i rally do not like Conscripts. They get a big thumbs down from me.
Old 08 Mar 2006, 16:20   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

What do you sugest I switch the conscripts for, they would free up 196pts?

I have the game later today

----

Old 08 Mar 2006, 16:24   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

keep the command squad nearby or give them an independant commissar and they'll be as good as gold. thats what you have to remember about guardsmen, they ahve a low Ld, but they never ahve to use it anyways. aslong as you do one of the above the conscripts wont break.

Old 08 Mar 2006, 17:11   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

That's the idea for the command HQ to follow the Conscripts, hopefully they will stick the whole game. I am just hoping they can contest a table quarter by the end of the game

----

Old 09 Mar 2006, 17:41   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

If I were you I wouldn't have 4 GLs in a command squad... shuffle a couple into your autocannon infantry squads or a dedicated special weapon squad... less vulnerable, more field of fire from multiple squads. shouldn't change the figs you have to use very much. But yeah you will probably chew them up with those heavy bolters so it seems like a good list to me. Dark Eldar are punks. They die as fast as we do, their armor is weak, and they don't have our numbers.