Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Medieval Guard Regiment
Closed Thread
Old 07 Mar 2006, 18:13   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Medieval Guard Regiment

I was down in my basement, working on my SM devastator squad, when I accidently knocked a box off of my working area. This box contained the few models I owned for armies I had given up on before starting as the Space Marines. Out came a unit of Empire Spearmen, Handgunners, and a Mordian command squad. As I was putting them back, I was wondering if there was any way I could combine the two canceled armies (Empire and Imperial Guard) into one army, to be completed as I feel like it. Slowly this picture formed in my mind...

(commence fluff)

Off in a far corner of the galaxy, Their was a world divorced from the Emporer's Light for almost two Millenia. The level of technology slowly plummeted, until they had regressed back to a medieval level of technology, with higher items viewed as 'magic' and kept hidden by jealous individuals. Early in 880.M41, the planet was rediscovered by a Rogue Trader and his fleet. He quickly reported the find to the nearest Munitorum base, hoping to claim a large reward. The planet was reintroduced to Imperial culture slowly, to avoid the massive shock of high technology being thrust into the hands of those not ready for it. But the reintroduction was speeded by an occurence too often to the Imperium: war. In the next sector, a massive WAAAGH! of Orks had besieged several planets vital to area commerce. The planet's Imperial Commander begged the Munitorum to found a regiment of his soldiers and equip them to be a proper fighting force. They only met him halfway, though. A regiment was indeed founded, but the munitroum refused the weapons, saying that the soldiers would take too long to retrain in their use. Officers from a veteran Guard regiment, the Mordian 233rd, were sent in to provide discipline and command for the new army, and they quicly brought them up to speed with Imperial tactics. As the veterans of the armies of the plantets many kingdoms, they had no trouble assimilating the new styles of warfare, though they were hesitant to abandon there own.

(now we return you to the post, already in progress)

...and then they made me their chief.

So, done with the fluff, on to the rules!

For Doctrines I was thinking of Rough Riders, Close Order Drill, Hardened Fighters, Iron Discipline, and Stormtroopers.

Reasons:

Rough Riders: Calvary was still an important part of the battle field, even in Napoleons time, so they fit in with the "early industrial" age feel pretty good.

Close Order Drill: Since they're more comfortable fighting in close packed ranks, COD is perfect.

Hardened Fighters: Again, they are more comfortable figthing up close and personal than they are fighting at range, so ths too, is perfect.

Iron Discipline: Since they are a brand new regiment, unaccustomed to the battlefields of the 41st Milenium, Officers who know what is out there come in handy.

Stormtroopers: Representing Elite troopers imported from the 233rd to augment the ranged capabilites of the mainly close ombat Guard platoons.

I was thinking of using Empire Spearmen and Hangunners from the Fantasy range to represent the rank and file, and Mordian models from the Classic range to represent the officers, heavy weapons, medics and vox-men. A normal squad might have 8 Spearmen, a Mordian officer, and a Mordian with a Plasma Gun. Command Squads would be all Mordians, with maybe one 'local' learning how to be a good commander.

I should have an army list by tomorrow, and any comments/critiscisms/suggestions are welcomed!

Please ignore this, just a test. - Rezzy

In his own words, the real reason why Mace Windu's lightsaber is purple:
"Oh sure, they say not to get Mountain Dew on your lightsaber, but they never say what will happen if you do!"
Old 07 Mar 2006, 19:01   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Medieval Guard Regiment

Seen this before somewhere. Work it up I'm ready to read and see them

Wanax
Old 07 Mar 2006, 19:57   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Great background, only I think that warrior weapons is one of the worst doctrines ever divesed. Your enemy will get shot to pieces as it charges towards the enemy. Maybe it is best if you set back the time machine a bit more and settle down in the napoloenic era, with mass musket and bayonet firing lines. This fits more with the mordians who use this same sort of warfare. You can just replace all the lasguns with muskets. Trust me even if you are charging with 60 guarsmen against 20 marines, they can still get slaughterd (this happended to me, had to storm a breach :P). You can also settle with something like light infantry, a low tech planet with dense forests often has a population that will make great infiltrators.

I applaud your background and you can go ahead with making it, but I only think that you won't win many games. Remember the Empire setting is kinda in the late middelages, so it lies very close to the napoleonic era, they still need someone to drop by and say that this is the new way of warfare.

May the Emperor Protect,
Alexander

"With all those big and shiny guns, it sure impresses ya when you're fighting them, but in the end it's the Imperium who is victorious"-Colonel Iskandor Craitz about the Tau

"This Craitz figure is a intresting human, he is loyal to his fractioning Imperium, but still he has honour that other humans lack. It will be a shame killing him"- Shas'O M'Yen Mesme

Armies:
Imperial Guard mech force: 1500 pts (work in progress)
Imperial Guard Infantry: 1000 pts
Tau: 1500 pts
Necrons: 2000 Pts
Old 07 Mar 2006, 20:01   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Or you could make them all crossbowmen and just use the Lasgun stats.

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Enge(spc)
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Old 07 Mar 2006, 20:09   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

I like the idea. An army sort of in the middle of its own "industrial revolution."

If we're going "feral" here, perhaps more "Catchan" rules would suit as well? Ambushing Spearmen would be something pretty fun to see!

Old 07 Mar 2006, 23:33   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to Pirate Send a message via Yahoo to Pirate

Cool idea you have! I always thought that was a good idea. It would be cool for a Inqusitional army if you deside to go that route....
Old 07 Mar 2006, 23:55   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Thanks for the ideas, guys!

To Col. Alexander: I didn't go with Light Infantry because in the description of the doctrine it says "This regiment is remowned for its stealth". That doesn't fit in with the picture of the army I have in my mind. But I see what you mean about Warrior Weapons not being to good. Might replace it with Rough Riders instead, and use Pistoliers or Knights to model them.

To Commisar Black Behemoth: If a blackpowder rifle isn't a lasgun, how would a crossbow? But it's going to be changed any way.

To Yriel of Iyanden: I didn't think of Catachans because the whole stealth angle wasn't where I was planning to go with for this army.

Thanks again, and the army list will probably be up by tomorrow.

"Oh sure, they say not to get Mountain Dew on your lightsaber, but they never say what will happen if you do!"
Old 10 Mar 2006, 12:22   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

The Army list is finally here!

COD= Close Order Drill
HF= Hardened Fighters
ID= Iron Discipline

HQ:
Command Platoon

Command Squad:
Senior Officer w/ Stormbolter, Power Weapon, Carapace Armor, Medallion Crimson, Bionics, Trademark Item, ID

Lascannon Team, Veteran Medic, Master Vox
COD HF
Pts: 181

Anti-Tank Squad:
3x Missile Launchers
COD HF
Pts: 110

Fire Support Squad A:
3x Autocannons
COD HF
Pts: 110

Fire Support Squad B:
Same as A

Command Platoon Pts: 511

Elites:
Stormtroopers A:
Sergeant, Vox, Plasma Gun, Grenade Launcher
6 Stormtroopers
Pts: 123

Stormtroopers B:
Sergeant, Vox, Infiltrate, Deep Strike
8 Stormtroopers
Pts: 125

Hardened Veterans:
Veteran Sergeant w/ Carapace Armor
Autocannpn Team, Plasma Gun, Grenade Launcher
2 Veterans w/ Lasguns
2 Veterans w/ Laspistols & CCWs
1 Veteran w/ Shotgun (Blunderbuss)
COD HF
Pts: 138

Troops:
Infantry Platoon A:

Command Squad:
Junior Officer w/ Bolt Pistol, Carapace Armor, ID
Autocannon Team, Vox, Plasma Gun
COD HF
Pts: 96

Squad AA:
Veteran Sergeant w/ Bolter, Vox
8 Guardsmen
COD HF
Pts: 87

Squad AB:
Same as squad AA

Squad AC:
Sergeant, Vox, Autocannon, Plasmagun
5 Guardsmen
COD HF
Pts: 105
Platoon A Pts: 373

Platoon B:

Command Squad:
Junior Officer w/ Plasma Pistol, ID
Grenade Launcher, Vox, Veteran Medic
1 Guardsmen
COD HF
Pts: 94

Squad BA:
Veteran Sergeant w/ Bolter, Vox
8 Guardsmen
COD HF
Pts: 87

Squad BB:
Same as BA

Squad BC:
Sergeant, Vox, Heavy Bolter, Grenade Launcher
5 Guardsmen
Pts: 98

Platoon B Pts: 366

Platoon C:

Command Squad:

Old 10 Mar 2006, 13:09   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to wonderboy

why not use vetrans instead of stormtroopers? it would be a little bit more to your liking as far as fluffiness, since they would represent seasoned fighters that managed to retunr to the planet. cerapace also seems like a doctrine that would work well here

2000 points
1500 points
my army lists.
Old 11 Mar 2006, 14:13   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I cant tell if you added points for the close order drill but its free. I always add it in when i dont have 5 doctrines and you dont have to assign it to squads.
Closed Thread