Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Doctrines and fluff for "The hounds of the Emperor aka The howling wolves"
Closed Thread
Old 06 Mar 2006, 12:18   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Doctrines and fluff for "The hounds of the Emperor aka The howling wolves"

Well, the Howling wolves are my minds latest creation to get some good order to my IG:s and preventing me from putting money on stuff I will regret buying.
The Howling wolves are officialy refered to as "Ultimas Composite regiment" but are usually refered to as "The howling wolves" or "The hounds of the Emperor".

The Regiment has no homeworld as such, since it was founded by merging several remant regiments during the early battles against Hive fleet Kraken. Unlike many other similar mergings, an unlikely efficient regiment emerged, partly due to the Commisar Dvornik, who took command after the rest of the Regimental HQ had been killed in a Lictor ambush. Dvornik was a inspiring figure, and he realized that the men and women of the regiment needed to for their own identity and feeling of togetherness. If that coudl be made, this hard-bitten survivor could be turned into a truly deadly force.
He succeeded and the regiment became stationed on the eastern fringe, base moving as need dictated.

Even today, the regiment do not really recruit as such, but is kept up to strength by incorporating remants of shattered units. Even if there is a standard brown coloured uniform of Cadian pattern that is regimental, there is a high tolerance to individual designs. The HQ and the commisar also promotes this, especially designs and looks that gives a hard-bitten appearance to the soldiers.
The reason is that the Regiment is often used to reinforce local PDF-forces and Ordo Hereticus detachments on rebellious and unrestfull worlds. The vicious look of the regiments troopers comes in good steed, and their reputation usually precedes them.

The name, "The howling wolves" was given during a campaign where the regiment fought side by side with a Space wolves company. So impressed where the marines by the qualities of the regiment, that they gave them the honourname "The howling wolves". From this time, a certain bond has existed between the Space wolves chapter and the regiment, and the Wolves helps supply wargear of good quality.
The other name, "The hounds of the Emperor! was given by Canoness Elena of the Order of the Lily, after a vicious Hive battle had been won, where the Sisters had worked together with the regiment to cleanse the lower parts of the Hive from an incidious chaos cult. When asked what she fought of the Howling wolves preformance by a group of inquisitors, she answered that they had acted like hounds of the Emperor!

Doctrines so far (with motivation):

Regimental organization:
Drop troops - Due to the diverse missions facing the regiment, flexibility is the name of the game. Most units are eqiupped and trained to effect gravshute drops of being landed by transport flyer.

Skills and drills:
Xenos fighters: Tyranids - The regiment was originally formed by veteran tyranid fighters and due to the continuing precensce of the tyranid menace, the traditions and skills needed to handle these beasts in hand to hand are being taught to the whole outfit on a regular basis.

Die hards - The people enrolled into the regiment are usually hard bitten survivors of almost destroyed regiments. They are either cowards who have hidden in the face of danger (commisar fodder) or those who simply refused to surrender and fought on and survived in the face of death. These soldiers gets a chance to join the rank of the Regiment. The regiment is infused with a spirit of no retreat, no surrender and the devotion to Him on Earth runs in their blood.

Light infantry - Most units are trained to be flexible and able to handle many situations and types of terrain, so all expiriences are being made use of. Together with the training as drop troops, the focus on mobility and skills in negating all kinds of terrain gives the regiment an very unique flexibility.

Veterans Well, it is no suprise that there is high precentage of really though veterans in this regiment.

What do you think? To me, it blends together very well. Usually, putting Close order drill and light infantry together seems insane, but for a unit involved as much in rebellion and insurgency fights as in conventional battles, it makes perfect sense.

Some feedback please! :-\

My blog: http://mattiknife.wordpress.com
Old 06 Mar 2006, 14:30   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Doctrines and fluff for "The hounds of the Emperor aka The howling wolves"

Seems okay...

Don't you need a doctorine to get Commissars?

I think I'd drop the close order drill in favour of something a bit more fruity! Even if its only so you can add a few priests to mix to help raise the faith required to keep them fighting?

I see a lot of lists with Xeno-fighter: Nids or Orks, your boys have seen action in a lot of diffrent places and xeno-fighter seams very specilist for them.

Just on a side note I never see any IG with Xeno-fighter: Eldar or Necrons!
Old 06 Mar 2006, 17:59   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Doctrines and fluff for "The hounds of the Emperor aka The howling wolves"

Well, the xeno fighter stuff is sort of a tradition, but I shall think of it. Priests are not that good, since they will mess it up for me using my heavy weapons. They are not really fanatics, more of the devoted and and frim kind of believers.
You do not need to buy a doctrine to get commisars, but if you want to get independent commisars, that is another matter. In fact, that could be useful, symbolizing how the commisars move about the units, improving their faith. Better than priests in fact. Might be a good replacement.

I want close order drill rather much, bringing the dualism of the force into being.

Old 06 Mar 2006, 18:14   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to wonderboy

sounds like vetrans would fit in nicely...

nicely done background.

2000 points
1500 points
my army lists.
Old 06 Mar 2006, 21:49   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Well, I had veterans in when I started out. I guess it would be a good and fluffy replacement for the Xenos fighter.

Old 07 Mar 2006, 03:18   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to wonderboy

i have more respect for armies that use xeno fighters, because you never see them. they are very fluffy, and keep the normal doctrine come backs. i would drop cod because i dont see hard bitten, grizzled survivors lining up like the British to meet any enemy. rather, i see them using feints and strategic withdraws. especially against a foe as numerous as tyranids.against nids, one doesnt have a number advantage, so one has to fight smart. that is partially how America won the revolutionary war.

2000 points
1500 points
my army lists.
Old 07 Mar 2006, 05:57   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Okay, so drop close order drill in favour for veterans...

I guess pure firepower will have to do for disspersing crowds...

Closed Thread