total250pts

Armoured fist squad
vetsgt w/lasgun
8 guardsman w/lasguns
heavy bolter team
chimera w/muliti laser,hull heavy bolter,pintle heavy stubber,extra armour
178pts

total 500pts.

But I'm going into 750pts(If I cant get help I'll move up to 1000pts),but I dont know what to add,I would like to add a platoon but I do not know how to equip it with heavy weapons or special weapons(I am not going to use lascannons),also about a leman russ with extra armour,hull lascannon,and HB sponsons.
Or a heavy weapon platoon with either heavy bolters or missile launchers and dropping the ones in the hq command squads.

I forgot to mention this is for a local tournement so pts. must be exact,anything can be changed from now untill this coming friday,game sizes are from 750 to 1750pts,I am aiming for 750pts,but am willing to move up to 1000pts.
I have some idea what I'll be facing,acouple marine armys or two(of course),another couple IG armies,a tau(only 1)
Thank you for reading this long post,please help if you can.
Old 06 Mar 2006, 02:14   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: tournement list,need help.

Just curious why the Vet Sgts. Seems like a waste of points. Also in such a small game I would go for quantity over quality. The price of the Chimera would get you another 10+ guardsman. I think you will find that your army is trying to do a whole lot of things instead of focussing on one aspect.

Before we evaluate your army why not tell us what you think of it. Why did you pick what you did, how do you intend to use the forces you have selected. In doing so you can probably answer your own questions.
Old 06 Mar 2006, 02:30   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Mrgame

The squads are for popping transports and then moving to infantry,the grenade launcher is for on the move into a better firing postion.Missile launchers is for again popping transports any heavy armour,and possibly infantry after the armour is gone.

Chimera is to take a nice firing point and cover the rest of my army into better cover.
I really don't like vox casters or the master vox plus I kinda freed up more pts for heavy weapons,plus its got LD of a JO and a bit better(40pts in all for voxs,I just saved my self 10pts.).
Hq's are to sit with missile launchers and do as I typed above.

I am very content with what I've got,and very happy with it,I really have no major goal,just to have some fun and a nice game pitted between two armies.
Old 06 Mar 2006, 02:44   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

So sounds like you have got things figured out, go with it since you know why you chose the models and army. Any advice we give is biased, based on how we like to play our guard.

Personally every game I have seen with this low point level goes to Marines if they are being played. For 500 pts he can get 3 tac squads with heavy & spec weapon, captain, 1x-2x land speeders and a whirlwind. With their 3+ armor save and LD 10 TSKNF, they usually win. Guards really have a hard time in low point games

Before saying this isn't true, it is acurate in the area I play in
Old 09 Mar 2006, 02:45   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

i agree with him, i have never had any luck with my gaurds men in low point games, if you want to add something i would take a battle tanks as it would give you alot more firepower to work with and it is a fairly cheap tank points wise for what it can do
Old 09 Mar 2006, 03:19   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to wonderboy

250 points is a lot. my best suggestion would be to grab another armored fist, sentinel squadrons, or maybe a heavy weapons platoon. they will take care of any powergamer tanks it the small matches. rember that you can still beef up the hq with the support squads .

if you take the second fist, get an extra squad or two for the infantry platoon.

are you running any doctrines?

2000 points
1500 points
my army lists.
Old 09 Mar 2006, 03:28   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Mrgame

Iron disipline for now.
I have decided to go to 1000pts,Ive added a squad to the platoon,a leman russ,and a stormtrooper squad w/2meltas and a chimera(Not the smartest transport choice,I know).

Will post list in a couple days,to tired we've got testing all week in school,hopefully by friday or sat.

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 09 Mar 2006, 07:07   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

i suggest getting a leman russ. what GGOGH said is true, marines do usually get low point battles, and imperial guard suffer a heroic death trying to cope with getting a platoon and command squad in 500 points. your best option is just to try and get a platoon, armoured fist, and command squad(like you have right now) and then get asmany missile launcher/autocannon armed squads as you can in their. keep the command squad cheap(JO) and hope for the best.

when it comes up into 750 we fare better, since we can get a leman russ or hellhound or something to give you a little punch. pure infantry guard only work in 1000+ battles, so getting some armour will seriously help you.

as to you're comment about the chimera in your last post: it is one of the worst transoprts in the game, but its still one bloody hell of a tank! this squad priced piece of eqiupment can dish out up to 9 shots on its own(ive worked out it has the potential to fire up to 25 shots in a turn), its basicly a poor mans exterminator, and shouldn't be taken lightly. with a few AT squads pullling down the big boys this guy can deal with all the hordes.

Old 19 Mar 2006, 12:59   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Chugmuffin

This is just me, but you should get a Leman Russ and a Sentinel Support Squad for your CS. If not that than throw in another platoon. Mabye some rough riders with melta gubs and bombs for tank hunting if you can spare the points.
- Wargamer...
Closed Thread