Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Hall of Heroes wish me luck
Closed Thread
Old 05 Mar 2006, 22:10   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Hall of Heroes wish me luck

Entering a HoH tournament next weekend (first one) and thought I would post the list and get peoples advice. It is too late to change as you have to submit your army the week before to keep the game honest, instead of showing up, seeing what other people are playing and then choosing your army. (this is a house rule not GW) anyways, wish me luck and give me your thoughts. 1700 pts

Command Platoon
1x JSO
- Honorifica Imperialis
- Power Fist
- Bolt Pistol
- Iron Discipline

2x Guardsman
- Plasma Guns

1x Master Vox

1x Medic

1x Commissar
- Las pistol
- Power Sword

Special Weapon Squads

2x Lascannon Teams
- Sharpshooters

2x Mortar Teams

Infantry Platoon #1 & #2 (Equipped the same)
Command Squad
1x J.O.
- Power Sword, Bolt Pistol
- Iron Discipline

2x Plasma Guardsman

1x Medic

1x Vox Caster

Infantry Squads
1x Sgt
- Las Pistol, CCW

7x Guardsman
- Lasguns

1x Vox Caster

1x Grenade Launcher Guardsman

Conscript Platoon
20x Conscripts
- Lasguns

Tanks

2x Hellhounds

2x Leman Russ Tanks
- Lascannon, Hvy Bolter Sponson

All in all I have 100 guardsman and 4 tanks and I think a balance between anti-armor, anti-infantry and a strong vox net to keep squads together. What does everyone else think?
Old 06 Mar 2006, 04:57   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Hall of Heroes wish me luck

how do you only get 1 squad in each infantry plaoon?
Old 06 Mar 2006, 05:15   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Typo 2 squads in each platoon
Old 06 Mar 2006, 06:42   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

you've decked out youor officer for CC, which means he can't be the hub of the vox net. vox doesn't work if an officer is in CC, and i doubt he'll be able to kill the enemy quick enough to get back to ordering people around. if you decide to stick to CC then give the fist to the commissar, since he's not an independant character he wont get picked off as easily as your JO.

you should give your infantry squads heavy weapons. a squad not carrying a heavy weapon is a squad wasted. the best idea would be to disband the lascannon teams and put the cannons into infantry squads(since lascannon AT teams will be priority #1 for your enemy they will die easily)

im not to keen on giving sargeants laspistols and CCWs. i think you'll be better off just giving him a normal lasgun to add to your firepower.

Old 06 Mar 2006, 12:22   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Well once again Elessar I think we come from two different ways of thinking. Giving a IC a CC weapon in my mind doesn't mean they are decked out for CC and can't command the Vox. Giving them a power weapon whether power fist or power sword in my mind is practical should they be forced into close combat. My characters will still command the vox and if forced to fight in CC they have a no armor save weapon that might help them.

I personally don't believe in squad Heavy Weapons. I think they are a waste of points and unfluffy (despite the codex allowing them). Modern armies today don't carry heavy weapons in the standard infantry squads. Anti-tank missiles, .50 cal machine guns, recoiless rifles, mortars are all found in the weapon platoons of a company/battalion organization. Also if you move the squad that HW can't shoot and you just wasted the points for the turn, I also find shooting a single HW at something while wasting the rest of the squads shots is a waste of points.

As for Sgts with las/ccw. I think the model looks cooler, I will let you know how things turn out though and thanks for your help.
Old 06 Mar 2006, 12:40   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

I am of the same mind as GGOGH. My infantry must move forward with the tanks. Any heavy support is in the rear as my support by fire element. Besides with all those tanks running around, I think the AT squad will be able to avoid some fire.

Wanax
Old 06 Mar 2006, 16:58   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Guard Or Go Home
Well once again Elessar I think we come from two different ways of thinking. Giving a IC a CC weapon in my mind doesn't mean they are decked out for CC and can't command the Vox. Giving them a power weapon whether power fist or power sword in my mind is practical should they be forced into close combat. My characters will still command the vox and if forced to fight in CC they have a no armor save weapon that might help them.
when using a vox net your commanding officer should never, ever be in CC. as soon as he's in combat your army will revert back to 7Ld and break. so arming him for CC is a waste, since as soon as he's in your screwed. so wouldn't it make more sense to spend the point on more soldiers to try and stop the enemy from getting to him? it might not be in your opinion but spending 20 points on a weapon that can only be used in CC, means decking him out for CC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Guard Or Go Home
I personally don't believe in squad Heavy Weapons. I think they are a waste of points and unfluffy (despite the codex allowing them). Modern armies today don't carry heavy weapons in the standard infantry squads. Anti-tank missiles, .50 cal machine guns, recoiless rifles, mortars are all found in the weapon platoons of a company/battalion organization. Also if you move the squad that HW can't shoot and you just wasted the points for the turn, I also find shooting a single HW at something while wasting the rest of the squads shots is a waste of points.
ok, A) they are very fluffy, the imperial guard use heavy weapons in almost all scenarios bar junglefighting. and even then they have mortar squads.
B) they are by no means a waste of points. other than leman russes heavy weapons are the best thing the imperial guard have got to offer. an infantry swaud without a heavy weapon is wasteing huge potential.
C)modern armies do carry heavy weapons in basic squads. in the german army all squads are either issued a machinegun for firesupport or a rocket launcher for anti-tank purposes. in WW2 pretty much every country who could afford it issued heavy weaponry to their infantry.
D) the imperial guard aren't a modern day army. a basic guardsmen is the equivalent of a modern day soldier, but the imperial guard is not like anything we have now. so compareing them to modern day armies for organizational purposes is pointless.

Old 06 Mar 2006, 21:42   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Cool advice El, I still don't agree but I can appreciate your comments. As I said I will not be running my command around like a death angel marine in a blood daze but if they do end up in CC then I want them to be able to at least inflict some casualties and maybe even win a fight or two so they can get back to commanding the Vox net. 30 pts spent on power weapons is reasonable fluff wise and point wise. It adds up to 1.8% of my total army points.

In regards to the real life. I know 40k isn't real life but I think you might be confused of what is similar weapon wise.

A standard infantry squad today ideally (american, british, canadian, australian) consists of;
1x Sgt (commands squad)
1x Coms soldier (carries the squad coms gear) carries a assault rifle
2x Grenadiers (riflemen with assault rifle and underslung grenade launcher)
2x Riflemen (assault rifles)
2x SAW Rifleman (Squad automatic weapon)

Each soldier normally carries 5 magazine of ammo, 4 grenades, 2 smoke grenades and 2 LAW (light anti-armor weapons) usually used to hit trucks and light armor

Most Western Armries fire the 5.56mm round and the Saw's fire the same round at a higher rate of fire. They really aren'y machine guns.

3x squads to a platoon
Platoon support weapon

1x Light Machine Gun (crew of 2 fire 7.62mm rounds)
1x 60 mm mortar (crew of 2-3)
1x Carl Gustav, Javelin, anti tank missile (2 crew)

3x platoons in a company
Company Support Weapons
1-4x anti-tank guided missile units
1-4x .50 calibre machine guns
1-4x anti-aircraft weapons
1-4x 80mm mortars

So though I know 40k isn't real life I still like the fluff and idea. Thanks again El. I will take your advice under advisement
Old 06 Mar 2006, 22:03   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Aun’o Tash’var Shin’jin

sorry Elessar, i don't think russes are the be all end all of guard, i have played guard for about 3 years now and i've never touched a leman russ.

Hellhounds are awesome, you can't beat them for anti-infantry power.
Eidt by JD: I dunno how you managed to read it after the changes FT
Edit by AC: JD you've spelt edit incorrectly...
Edit by WG: I just wanted to be part of the moment. :P
Old 06 Mar 2006, 22:23   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by ??˘????????
sorry Elessar, i don't think russes are the be all end all of guard, i have played guard for about 3 years now and i've never touched a leman russ.
what? i never said that. i said that if his commander is going to represent the entire leadership of his army he shouldn't spend money on decking him for closecombat, but on models to protect him. i never siad anything about leman russes ruling the imperial guard. they are the best unit we can get but they are by no means the only thing.

Closed Thread