Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Starting Guard
Closed Thread
Old 05 Mar 2006, 16:34   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Starting Guard

Hi, I'm thinking of starting IG. Do you have any advice for what I should get, things like that? I'll probably be playing 1000-1500 point matches
Old 05 Mar 2006, 16:59   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar
Default Re: Starting Guard

well you'll need need infantry, lots of it. if you get the cadian starterset and 2 platoon boxes(86) you get 2 infantry platoons, a command section, heavy weapons fo your infantry and a leman russ. which is a pretty good start. from their you might want to get a chimera and some meltas or plasmas, or specilize and get stromtroopers or roughriders depending on what direction you want to take your army. give me a bit more informationa bout your army. do you ahve any fluff?

Old 05 Mar 2006, 17:30   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

There are a couple of paths to take in IG.

Tank heavy, Infantry Heavy, Hybrid, and Elite.

Tank heavy is pretty much Armored Company. Infantry heavy is well, what Ellesar wants you to take. Hybrid is like me, more kind of "mechanized" infantry. (i.e.tanks and infantry). Elite is like, Catachan and heavily doctrinized units.

What style suits you?
Old 05 Mar 2006, 17:33   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

my purchase suggestions where'nt for an infantry heavy army. you need two platoons(50 models) and a command squad(5) and my suggestion gets your 60. no matter what kind of guard army you play(unless you play pure grenadiers) you'll need alot of infantry.

Old 06 Mar 2006, 02:50   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Starting with Armored company is nice too. However, it would get extremely expensive if you dicieded to to that.
Old 06 Mar 2006, 03:08   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Obviously with 283 posts you are not new to the board so I will assume you are not new to 40k. I don't know what army you are coming from but you have probably faced Guard enough times to figure out how they work. To best answer this question I think you have to ask yourself what sort of game are you looking to play. A game where you roll a lot of dice at the back of the board edge or do you want less troops which require more tactics and strategy. Lets face it, when you are placing 120+ models along a 48" table within a 12" deployment zone it fills up pretty fast and instead of worrying about tactics you are more concerned of the models falling off the table since you are running out of room.

The advice given is enough to get you started. I would suggest not buying more then 750 pts at a time since you might buy something and not like how it works or find out you want to try something differently. For 750 pts you can get 1 infantry platoons (45 men incl hq), armored fist squad (10 men + Vehicle), leman russ and a command squad. Not a bad force to start out with as you have grunts and a tank plus heavy weapons and you have points left over to outfit your guard the way you would like. Then add 500 pts per expansion. IMHO
Old 06 Mar 2006, 15:35   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Listen to Elessar. He is a smart lad. You will need more than enough infantry so you can fill up your requirements, and be able to have some special weapons options to switch around. It doesn't make for an 'infantry-heavy' guard army, it makes for a functional guard army.
Old 09 Mar 2006, 01:54   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impulse
Starting with Armored company is nice too. However, it would get extremely expensive if you dicieded to to that.
It can be alot more expensive to do an all infantry army.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squigs for dinner
Listen to Elessar. He is a smart lad. You will need more than enough infantry so you can fill up your requirements, and be able to have some special weapons options to switch around. It doesn't make for an 'infantry-heavy' guard army, it makes for a functional guard army.
Yes he is smart my guard only has 69 models in it but it still works very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel_Sanders
Elite is like, Catachan and heavily doctrinized units.
Catachan Elite? You must be crazy to think that. They are just guardsmen that forgot to get dressed in the morning.
Old 09 Mar 2006, 03:25   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to wonderboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnex
Catachan Elite? You must be crazy to think that. They are just guardsmen that forgot to get dressed in the morning.
i beg to differ......

catachans are by far one of the more unique armies to play. since they lack tanks and las cannons, new forms of playing are required. and the fact thet they are nigh unstoppable in the jungle makes them even more fun

2000 points
1500 points
my army lists.
Old 09 Mar 2006, 07:10   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorcyca (formerly fingolfin)
catachans are by far one of the more unique armies to play. since they lack tanks and las cannons, new forms of playing are required. and the fact thet they are nigh unstoppable in the jungle makes them even more fun
catachan are different from guard, but not harder to play. they are good in the jungle, but useless anywhere else. they're cool, but not elite. terrax guard are elite, cadians are above average if not elite, catachan are a one trick pony. but still bloody great fun to play!

Closed Thread