Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Flamers on tanks?
Closed Thread
Old 04 Mar 2006, 15:48   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar
Default Flamers on tanks?

Right guys, i was thinking of re vamping my armoured battalion. so im taking off my sponsons and mixing and matching again. so i was thinking Demolisher=short range, heavy flamers=short range, Demolisher+Heavy flamers=?

anyone else tried this? did it work?

also, whats better Hull Hbolter, Hull Lascannon, Hull lascannon and Hbolter sponsons, or Hbolters all around? this would be for a standard leman russ.

Old 04 Mar 2006, 16:02   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Grunt90 Send a message via MSN to Grunt90 Send a message via Yahoo to Grunt90
Default Re: Flamers on tanks?

i think the Hull lascannon with the sponson heavy bolters would work nicely. i dont know about the flamers though, since i dont know the stats for a demolisher.

"Horn and hoof, power is there. Not feeble smoothskin, clumsy greenskin, wicked elf-swine. Gor is strong, Gor is true. Gor shall kill all, slay all for the gods!"

Beastlord Gorthor

Survivor of the 06' Battle Royale!
Old 04 Mar 2006, 16:10   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elessar
also, whats better Hull Hbolter, Hull Lascannon, Hull lascannon and Hbolter sponsons, or Hbolters all around? this would be for a standard leman russ.
Sorry, but I don't know if the demolisher+flamer combo would work. Never tried it and I won't pretend that I have.

On the Russ however, there are actually just two options. Either lascannon and no sponsons or heavy bolter all over, perhaps with a pintle stubber as well. I've never understood the point in having both lascannon and heavy bolter sponsons, since you most often don't want to fire a lascannon and those heavy bolters on the same target.
Just try tro decide what the tank will do once it's battle cannon gets blown away, will it become a tank hunter or will it plow down lines of infantry?
Old 04 Mar 2006, 16:37   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

The Demolisher with Heavy Flamers could potentially work well, especially in battles with lots of cover, such as Cityfight.

In general combat, however, I wouldn't bother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 04 Mar 2006, 16:43   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
The Demolisher with Heavy Flamers could potentially work well, especially in battles with lots of cover, such as Cityfight.

In general combat, however, I wouldn't bother.
Excellent point. In a large, say, field, you'll be lucky if you get 2 shots off the whole game. With HBs, however, you will get plenty.

Although, its worth a try on a Russ, say as a Tankshocking specific vehicle?
[But that would be a grand waste of points...]

I would definately take it in Cityfight. D6 hits is not to be sneezed at.

Stankov

[img width=650 height=288]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a99/GeneralStankov/finalcopy.jpg[/img]
Old 04 Mar 2006, 23:49   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Not sure aboout Demolishers...in cityfight they'd unquestionably be good, but otherwise I'd stick with heavy bolters.

OTOH, a Chimera with two heavy flamers and a special weapon/command squad with maxed-out flamers - drive-by barbeque...teehee :)

Balanced is the new cheese i'd reckon. - Brushmonkey, on how 40K is supposed to be...

Best Tyranid player in the UK...until GT Heat 2, anyway...
Old 05 Mar 2006, 04:43   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Never take flamers on your tanks because if your enmey is that colse then their too close.
Old 05 Mar 2006, 04:47   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnex
Never take flamers on your tanks because if your enmey is that colse then their too close.
If your enemy is that close it's a good idea to take somthing like a flamer any way. If an enemy is that close then your going to put them high on a priority list and if it's a squad then a flamer may be just the thing your looking for.
Old 05 Mar 2006, 05:40   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ??
If your enemy is that close it's a good idea to take somthing like a flamer any way. If an enemy is that close then your going to put them high on a priority list and if it's a squad then a flamer may be just the thing your looking for.
But its not a squad its a tank and it is not very usefull against a Fex or heavy armour and if you really want to take out lots of enmies then just get a Hellhound thats a flamer and you dont even have to be near to use it.
Old 05 Mar 2006, 07:37   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff

I meant if it was a squad that was close to your tank. And how often does a Fex get that close to a tank anyway?