Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

The Howling wolves deathworld rangers
Closed Thread
Old 03 Mar 2006, 13:44   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default The Howling wolves deathworld rangers

Well, the Howling wolves are my minds latest creation to get some good order to my IG:s and preventing me from putting money on stuff I will regret buying.
The Howling wolves are officialy refered to as "Ultimas Composite regiment" but are usually refered to as "The howling wolves" or "The hounds of the Emperor".

The Regiment has no homeworld as such, since it was founded by merging several remant regiments during the early battles against Hive fleet Kraken. Unlike many other similar mergings, an unlikely efficient regiment emerged, partly due to the Commisar Dvornik, who took command after the rest of the Regimental HQ had been killed in a Lictor ambush. Dvornik was a inspiring figure, and he realized that the men and women of the regiment needed to for their own identity and feeling of togetherness. If that coudl be made, this hard-bitten survivor could be turned into a truly deadly force.
He succeeded and the regiment became stationed on the eastern fringe, base moving as need dictated.

Even today, the regiment do not really recruit as such, but is kept up to strength by incorporating remants of shattered units. Even if there is a standard brown coloured uniform of Cadian pattern that is regimental, there is a high tolerance to individual designs. The HQ and the commisar also promotes this, especially designs and looks that gives a hard-bitten appearance to the soldiers.
The reason is that the Regiment is often used to reinforce local PDF-forces and Ordo Hereticus detachments on rebellious and unrestfull worlds. The vicious look of the regiments troopers comes in good steed, and their reputation usually precedes them.

The name, "The howling wolves" was given during a campaign where the regiment fought side by side with a Space wolves company. So impressed where the marines by the qualities of the regiment, that they gave them the honourname "The howling wolves". From this time, a certain bond has existed between the Space wolves chapter and the regiment, and the Wolves helps supply wargear of good quality.
The other name, "The hounds of the Emperor! was given by Canoness Elena of the Order of the Lily, after a vicious Hive battle had been won, where the Sisters had worked together with the regiment to cleanse the lower parts of the Hive from an incidious chaos cult. When asked what she fought of the Howling wolves preformance by a group of inquisitors, she answered that they had acted like hounds of the Emperor!

The three ranger companies of the Regiment are made up of deathworld veterans from many a differnet world, and are experts at routing out guerillas and hidden cults, be they deep into the wilderness of their worlds.

The ranger companies are represented by the Catachan list.
I will return with the standard list for the regiment.

400 point Howling wolves Ranger patrol

Troops
1th platoon Ranger Company Rodvinok

Captain Helki
Bolter, carapace and Power sword

1th Squad
Vet sgt with Auspex & 9 troopers with Missile launcher and grenade launcher

2nd Squad
Vet sgt with Auspex & 9 troopers with Missile launcher and grenade launcher

Fire support squad
2 Heavy bolters

Elite
2 Deathworld snipers

394 points

I hope to give a little hand in the TOC with this small army.

My blog: http://mattiknife.wordpress.com
Old 04 Mar 2006, 00:57   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff
Default Re: The Howling wolves deathworld rangers

okay a few things... I like the fluff behind the army.

But some list problems.
-1. If this is represented by the Catachan list you cannot take carapace armour.

-2. IG don;t have auspex though if you declar the item before a game to your opponent and they agree it should be fine as it goes with the fluff.

-3.What is 1th? (oneth?)

-4. From personal experience with Catachan lists, i'd change one of your troops squads into an assaulty one. i.e. remove the ML and GL and replace with a flamer and melta gun. Catachans unlike most IG lists are not range oriented. 50-50 with the range, assault with your force goes well.

Old 04 Mar 2006, 09:50   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Well, I thought about the problems and I have a doctrine list for the bulk of the regiment that is different.

What about the carapace, by the way? A character should be able to have it? I cannot find such a rule in the Catachan list at least.

But I will return with more info on the main regiment.

Thanks for the feedback!

Old 04 Mar 2006, 19:10   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to wonderboy

you can have the cerapace.

i wouldnt have gotten the sentry,as its a waste of points. especially for catachans.

i normally wouldnt recomend mixing HW and SW in a infantry squad because it
upsets the role of the squad. with missile launchers, you would be well off not moving. but then you waste the assualt ability of the grenade launcher.

hoever, its all in good taste, and i like the list. good job.

2000 points
1500 points
my army lists.
Old 06 Mar 2006, 10:54   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Yes, I think I keep this setup for my recon platoons that will use the Catachan list.

I think there is versatility in the list, and I do not really mean to assault that much, since I will have to fight SM:s. Rather I see the WS4 as a handy bonus!

I will return shortly with a post about the doctrines used by the majority of the Howlings wolves companies.

Closed Thread