Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

124th Assault RGT makes first planetfall tonight!
Closed Thread
Old 02 Mar 2006, 16:55   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default 124th Assault RGT makes first planetfall tonight!

Start of a new campaign season and yes my IG will be taking the field for the first time. Will face in this campaign Word Bearers, nids, and Deamon Hunters. The 124th is called the Storm Crows.

Here is my list at 1200pts.

HQ
SO + 4 IG, P fist
AT squad w/3 lascannons

Fast
1 sentinel w/autocannon

Troops
3x10 Sturmtruppen w/VSGT, grenade launcher, flamer, vox

Heavy
3xLeman Russ w/heavy bolter, x armor, smoke

doctrines:
Grenadier
Diehards
Hardened fighters
Cameleoline

What say yee?

Comments welcome
Old 02 Mar 2006, 19:43   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: 124th Assault RGT makes first planetfall tonight!

I don't see the doctrines on your list...
Old 02 Mar 2006, 21:06   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I see a low body count, elite force that packs a serious wallop in a firefight.

I can see that your AT capacity is well taken care of by 6 las-cannons, MEQ's will suffer from pie-plate goodness, whereas the infantry are geared to deal with light infantry, Tanks with heavy bolters and battlecannon will also be excellent for crowd (read: horde) control.

Hmm... the more I look, the more I like it. Will you be playing Omega scenarios? The Sturmtruppen are actually nicely decked out to sit tight in cover making use of Concealment and Cameleoline as well as Hardened Fighters to survive aggressive early game assaults until the tanks can come rolling to the rescue,in case they would be forced to stay in reserve...

I was worried about the list being thin on the ground (I like to bulk up on troops, being an old WWII Russian and Epic Ork player), but I think your doctrines and proper tactics may circumwent any manpower shortage problems. It would be interesting to hear how it fares.

Happy hunting!

The Eldar Rule:

"If any model with the special rule Eldar! is on the battlefield the player may instantly declare victory and arrogantly storm out of the room. They may also claim any models, cash or cookies that are in the room."

I want to put to the record that I wholeheartedly support this rule and think GW should adopt it whenever they redo the Eldar codex. Cash and cookies are always good, and arrogantly storming out is an underrated pasttime
Old 02 Mar 2006, 21:14   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

ouch, tournament army alright. very low model count however, so you'll have trouble holding objectives and deploying.

first of all the vox casters are pointless. your stormtroopers are ld8 anyways so they wont get any bonus from the SO. and even if they did your SO doesn't have a vox casters so you have no network.

get rid of the VSGT. the only reason for having them is if your squad is definitly going to be in closecombat or to get into the armoury. your ST shouldn't be in closecombat, and if its neccessary get your sargeant a powersword and pistol, but i dont suggest this. the squads would be better off with a normal sarge, but if you ahve to get a vet. give him a bolter.

powerfist for the SO? not a fan.

your entire anti-armour capabilty is centered on a squad of 6 guardsmen and a sentinel. thats not good. a heavy bolter volely could mean your opponents armour will run around free to wreck havoc amoung your ST. get rid of the vox casters, veteran sargeants, powerfist and anti-tank squads. then get you SO squad a lascannon, and either get some sentinels with AT or missile launcher squads and upgrade your russes to have lascannons.

P.S. Sturmtruppen? are they german? cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ares
I can see that your AT capacity is well taken care of by 6 las-cannons, MEQ's will suffer from pie-plate goodness, whereas the infantry are geared to deal with light infantry, Tanks with heavy bolters and battlecannon will also be excellent for crowd (read: horde) control.
he has 3 lascannons, not 6. battlecannons are ordanance and can't be fired with the Hbolter, so not as horde wasteing as it apears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ares
Hmm... the more I look, the more I like it. Will you be playing Omega scenarios? The Sturmtruppen are actually nicely decked out to sit tight in cover making use of Concealment and Cameleoline as well as Hardened Fighters to survive aggressive early game assaults until the tanks can come rolling to the rescue,in case they would be forced to stay in reserve...
ST dont get benefit from cameleoline or hardened fighters. infact no one in the army is using the doctrines.

Old 02 Mar 2006, 22:28   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Grunt90 Send a message via MSN to Grunt90 Send a message via Yahoo to Grunt90

about the doctrines. could you use any for you army? I read his list and Camelioline things are there, and i was wondering if you could give them to anything, or if you can only take the doctirnes that the IG list tells you what they have.

"Horn and hoof, power is there. Not feeble smoothskin, clumsy greenskin, wicked elf-swine. Gor is strong, Gor is true. Gor shall kill all, slay all for the gods!"

Beastlord Gorthor

Survivor of the 06' Battle Royale!
Old 03 Mar 2006, 04:15   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

As far as I know this army cannot use Cameleoline, Hardened Fighters or Die Hard. Unless I am wrong Grenadiers are not Guard infantry as they are storm troopers and most of these doctrines only work with standard Guard infantry troops. At least that is what I get when I read the codex.
Old 03 Mar 2006, 11:26   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel_Sanders
I don't see the doctrines on your list...

Sorry:

Grenadiers - allow stormtroopers to be taken as infantry
Stormtroopers -are now my regular infantry
Hardened fighters - allowed for any guard infantry
cameleoline - also allowed for any guard infantry
die hards - allowed for any guard infantry

Unless someone here can show me where it says storm troopers are no Guard infantry, my doctrines remain in place and used.

Wanax
Old 03 Mar 2006, 11:47   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANAX

Unless someone here can show me where it says storm troopers are no Guard infantry, my doctrines remain in place and used.

Wanax
That's easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperial Guard Codex, page 55
Guard Infantry
In several of the following doctrine descriptions, the term Guard Infantry unit is used. In this context, the definition includes any command squad along with it's Officer and any attached advisors, Anti-tank squads, Fire support squads, Special weapon squads (if the regiment may use them), Mortar squads, Hardened Veteran squads, normal infantry platoon squads and Armoured Fist squads.
No storm troopers mentioned, and therefore not Guard Infantry. The downside of using them.
Old 03 Mar 2006, 12:35   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

right, and with grenadiers you get stormtroopers as normal infantry squads.

"...receive superior training that is the equal of that provided to storm troopers."

thus while using stormtrooper stats, they are regular infantry under troop organization. Unlike stormtroopers, they may not infiltrate or DS.

Wanax
Old 03 Mar 2006, 12:42   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

No. It says that you get storm troopers as troop choices.
If I would have my way they would be able to use doctrines if bought as troop choices, since this just represents a higher standard within the ranks, and not "real" storm troopers from the schola progenium.

But still, the rules are clear on this issue. As long as it hasn't been taken up in an errata or something. Storm troopers never count as Guard Infantry units.

So I suggest you do some changes in your army. The only ones who can use the doctrines as it is now are your HQ and the sentinel.
Closed Thread