Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Battle Report: Catachan Lost and the Damned Rematch
Closed Thread
Old 28 Feb 2006, 19:11   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Battle Report: Catachan Lost and the Damned Rematch

The rematch, well after last week battle the lost and the damned player wanted a rematch. Seeing how I was fine-tuning my list I thought I would try a different set up. Basically I had this ideal of dedicating platoon to a specific purpose. Platoon uno is my moving platoon with heavybolters as their covering long-range unit. I put a couple of flamers and a p-fist so I could deal with horde armies as well as some 3+. Platoon Dos has the same ideal in mind; two moving sqds. supported by autocannons, that should handle any low armor vehicles that might come my way, also the plasma gun for the same reason. Platoon tres is entirely static but, I fielded minimum numbers so that I would bog down too many lasguns. I had to make some last minute changes for the battle because I was over point wise so I took out meltaguns from both the vet patrol and the devils (big mistake!). As you can see my opponent also made some big changes by adding 2 more obliterators, and adding heavy bolters to his basic traitor units. He tossed the chim from last battle and two sentinels and IMO came up with a really great and balanced list.

Conejo could not believe the report his veteran patrol had relayed to him. The traitor known as Varak one of Lord Von Strasburg’s militia leaders has been located and not to far from Conejo location. According to the report Varak had a sizable force three clicks north near an ancient ruin. Conejo promptly radioed Colonel Guzman who at that time was leading lighting raids in sector 5; Guzman delegated the decision for a strike up to Captain Conejo, but voiced his opinion that not enough intelligence had been gathered for a proper plan of attack. Caution was not in Conejo vocabulary, he knew that if he did not strike know he might never get his chance to kill the arch heretic. He called his platoon Lieutenants to go over a plan for attack.

The lists: Catachan 909th
HQ: Capitan Conejo (4) DWV + Flamer

Troops
Platoon Uno
Lt. Suarez
Uno 1: Veterano w/ P fist, Flamer 10 DVW
Uno 2: Flamer 10 DWV
DWV Fire Support x3 Heavybolters
Platoon Dos
Lt. Del Carbon w/ p-weapon
Dos 1: Plasma gun 10 DWV
Dos 2: Flamer 10 DWV
DWV Fire Support x3 Autocannons
Platoon Tres
Tres 1: Missile Launcher 6 DWV
Tres 2: Missile Launcher 6 DWV
Tres 3: Missile Launcher 6 DWV
Tres 4: Missile Launcher 6 DWV

Fast Attack
Veteran Patrol: Vet sarg w/P-fist 5 Vets.

Elites
Devils sqd. Vet sarg w/P-fist 4 Devils

People’s Army of Lord Von Strasburg
H.Q.
Arch-Heretic Varak p-weapon

Traitor Guard x 16 Heavybolter, Plasma gun

Traitor Guard x 10 Flamer vet/w P-fist

Elites
x3 Obliterators

x8 Bloodletters

Heavy Support
Defiler
Fast Attack
x1 Sentinel multilaser, armored crew

Cats won turn but lost deployment priority.
Catachan 909th Turn One.
Movement, Platoon Uno 1 and 2 moved through the ruins, Platoon Dos 1 and 2 moved through the river hugging the banks desperately looking for some cover. The HQ followed Platoon Uno into the ruins. Shooting went bad. Tres 1: Tres 1 failed LD test and had to shoot at the sentinel blowing it pieces the explosion also caught traitor sqd 3 in the blast killing 3. The other missile launchers shot at the defiler but either missed or the projectile bounced off the beast’s armor. (bleh L) The Heavy Bolters fired at Traitor sqd. 1 but was ˝ inch short. The autocannons fired at the Defiler but once again did nadda.

People’s Army Turn 1:
Movement: Traitor guard 3 moved towards the small patch of woods that Tres 1 and 2 were dug in at. Shooting phase: Defiler hucks a pie plate and nails the auto cannons killing four plus 2 from tres 3. The obliterators form heavy bolters and shoot at uno 1 killing only 1! Gotta love cover saves! Traitor 3 Rapid fires the flashlights at tres 1 kills 2. They pass LD test as well as tres 3 but the autocannons run like girly men off the table. No combat.

Catachan 909th Turn 2
Movement: Uno 1 and 2 continue to hug the ravine Dos 1 and two move through the ruins an long with the HQ the heavybolters reposition closer. I decide to reveal the Vet Patrol in fire range of Traitor 3. Shooting: all missile launchers miss the defiler save for trusty tres 1 who only shake the beast (which of course he can ignore)
Vet patrol fires flashlights killing 2 traitors who then run for the hills! No combat.

People’s Army Turn 2:
Movement: The towering defiler moves forward, while the hellhound kicks into high gear only to crash in to a hill. The Arch-traitor summons the blood letters who appear in a small patch of woods not far from uno 1 and 2. Traitor 3 fails another LD test and run further away. Shooting Obliterators stay on target and rain a hail bolter shells on uno 1 killing 3. The defiler decides to help out the obliterators and fires on the same sqd. killing another 3. They run like cowards.

Catachans slog through the ruins ready the main battle line for a mid-range flashlight fight!

Catachan 909th Turn 3:
With most of my sqds in decent firing position I opt to stay put, save for Uno 2 who move closer to the Bloodletters then I reveal the Devils sqd in the small patch off woods where the bloodletters are. Shooting: Heavybolters now have a target the bloodletters, they fire and kill 1. Uno 2 Rapid fires and hits with the flamer killing 2 bloodletters. The vet patrol contines to fire at the fleeing traitors killing another one. Then the devils rush into combat with the bloodletters. Although 2 Devils die the sarg smashes 2 with his p-fist!

Gosh it’s dark in here good thing we have standard issue flashlights!

People’s Army Turn 3:
Traitor 3 rallies. Movement: Arch-Heretic Varak moves into the woods where the ensuing battle between the devils and bloodletters are. Shooting: Obliterators continue the skeet shoot at the adavancing Catachans this time it was Uno 2 that was half inch shy of the small patch of woods that the devils were in. One man fell. Traitor 1 could only see the platoon Lt. of Uno and shot him down. Traitor 2 decided to support the obliterators and fired on Uno 2 killing 4 more, and then the run. The defiler chucks a pie plate into the ruins killing only 1 guy from Dos 2.
Then Varak moves into the combat to help the bloodletters, he finishes off the devils and sweeps twards the ruins. The bloodletters roll badly and are forced back into the woods.

Catachan 909th Turn 4:

Whelp I’m in trouble, I can’t down the defiler my beloved cats are between heavybolters and traitor flashlights. But I have 2 units in firing range of the traitors. Movement: I move the heavybolters away from the obliterators. The vetpatrol moves out and hugs the hill for some much need cover saves. Uno 2 continues to run after a failed LD test. Shooting: Missiles continue to bounce off the Defiler, Platoon Dos 1 takes a chance and targets the Defiler with a plasmagun shot instead of shooting the traitors, and still nadda. Dos 2 targets traitor 2 killing one. No combat. (I shake my head in disbelief as the traitors turn begins.)

People’s Army Turn 4:

Movement: Varak moves towards the ruins, everyone else digs in. Shooting: Obliterators now concentrate fire on Dos 2 in the ruins killing 1. Traitor 2 catches the vet patrol trying to blitz and they kill 4! The Defiler finally misses and kills nadda. Varak charges Dos 1 killing 2 with P-weapon but the cats hit back wounding the heretic. Cats pass LD test and mob up.

Catachan 909th turn 5:

HQ moves in to support Dos 1, Heavy bolters move for a final shot. Shooting: Missiles once again bounce off the defiler. Platoon Dos 2 fires on Traitor 2 nadda. OMG can it get any worse? Combat 2 more cats fall to Varak but Dos 1 finishes him off. The sweep towards the traitors.

People’s Army Turn 5:

Movement: Bloodlettersmoved towards Dos 1. Shooting: Traitor 2 kills one of the HQ retinue. The hellhound decides to join in all the fun, and burns another 2 of the HQ. Obliterators stay on target and kill 2 from Dos 2 with their arms stuck in Heavybolter mode. The Defiler fires again in the ruins but only nicks one cat and fails to pen! LOL. J

Catachan 909th final turn:

Movement Dos 1 moves within rapid fire range of the bloodletters. Shooting: Tres 1,2,3, miss the defiler but Tres 4 hits and it explodes! The heavy Bolters finish off Traitor 3 and Dos 2 nails 2 men out of traitor 2. Dos 1 take their aim at the remaining bloodletters (2 of them) they hit with both plasmaguns shots and penetrate….but they make their invulnerable! (Whaaaa????)

People’s Army final turn.:

Hellhound fires and burns Tres 4 killing all of them (revenge!) lasguns fail to kill any of the cats in the ruins. Bloodletters charge Dos1 and fail to kill any of them, the cats do their best but also fail to kill any of them.

Cats: 538pts.
Lost and the Damned: 755pts.
Major Win for the People’s Army!

Conclusion: Whelp I lost, but it was a fun game to be a part of. Looking back, I really like my opponent’s list and did not like mine. Changing his sentinels in for oblits was a very nice adjustment. Also adding heaybolters to his basic units was a nice addition as well. He also played a very defensive game, and let me come towards him. Which is very difficult for a footslogging army. Also I had problems this time downing his defiler (took me six turns) which kept me pinned in the ruins. Losing my lucky autocannons 2nd turn hurt. Even with all that went wrong, list, dice rolls, ect. I still think a few minor tweaks and I will have this army in competitive shape. I refuse to shelf this army.

[img width=650 height=169]http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/1077/ordounlimitedsigcopybcopylc7.jpg[/img]
Old 28 Feb 2006, 19:39   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Battle Report: Catachan Lost and the Damned Rematch

Nice report, just a couple of comments:

1) You might post your own list. This would make it easier for other people on the forum to figure out what's going on, plus they can help suggest adjustments to it.

2) You say that the Bloodletters failed morale and ran back into the woods. This is not feasible- Bloodletters don't run instead they suffer from Daemonic instability. If he fails ld checks, he's looking at taking wounds with no save possible.

Old 28 Feb 2006, 20:39   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

sorry did a cut and paste job on this Battle report here was my list.

secondly I though I wrote the bloodletters swept-ed back in to the woods, they did not fail their morale test they just did a cowardly manover. (Because the rolled bad on the d6 consoldate roll)

[img width=650 height=169]http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/1077/ordounlimitedsigcopybcopylc7.jpg[/img]
Old 28 Feb 2006, 21:17   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to Pirate Send a message via Yahoo to Pirate

Very cool man! lol, Defilers can be a pain >
I just hate it when those traitors use our lasguns.......
Old 28 Feb 2006, 23:13   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

My only advice would have been possibly pulling a cheap shot and using Devils for some tank/defiler sniping rather than hth. Ogryns make better hth troops than most as well, as do Inquisitorial allies if you feel the need to go that route. Just showing a few additional options
Old 01 Mar 2006, 03:09   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Yes, in both battles acadiabulldog, you have been able to stop what the enemy was doing, but here it looked like trying to block a dam. I think you did a fabulous job, though

I would suggest ogryns. they give a lot of stopping power and a good ability to counter attack.
Old 01 Mar 2006, 16:38   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to wonderboy

you lost cause you didnt use enough melta weapons. against armies like that, its the only chance of winning we have.

2000 points
1500 points
my army lists.
Old 01 Mar 2006, 16:57   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I was at the re-match and thought you played a good game. It was very interesting to see two armies of that type go at it for a second time.
Old 01 Mar 2006, 17:05   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorcyca (formerly fingolfin)
you lost cause you didn't use enough melta weapons. against armies like that, its the only chance of winning we have.
Yeah believe me, I learned that the hard way...my list had 2 melta guns, one in the vet patrol the other in the devil's sqd. I took them out last minute and it still kicking my self for doing that . Anyways after the battle I revamped the list, I moved some stuff around put both meltas back and even had enough points of Honorifica Imperailis. I should do better the next time out.

Old 01 Mar 2006, 18:07   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Losing your autocannons early didn't help either.

Ogryns can still be auto-killed by the Defiler, but could still prove useful. They'd be great for the Bloodletter countercharge, and with enough of them you might even land a luck shot on the Defiler in close combat.

Missing that many times with Missile Launchers is just bad luck.

4 Missile Launchers will land (4 x .5 x .5 x .5) = 0.5 "significant hits" on a Defiler (Weapon destroyed or worse) in any round of shooting. Consider that over 6 turns, and you should have been able to down the Defiler twice over.