Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Drop trooping Special weapon squads
Closed Thread
Old 01 Nov 2004, 20:42   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Drop trooping Special weapon squads

Hey, I'm new here (though some of you might know me)!

Anyhoo, as a first post, I thought I'd as a few questions about Drop trooping special weapon squads.

so...

What is the best and most cost effective way to equip a deepstriking special weapon support squad?

I have just made a squad of 3 flamers, but also plan on another squad for my army.

My army is NOT a drop troop army. It is 50% (points) footmen with heavy weapons and 50% tanks (2 leman, 1 griffon, 1 hellhound), and am adding a surprise element to the army, giving the enemy 3 more things to worry about. (It also allows me to get things he is hiding such as hidden tanks and artilery, or just flame large sections of his army causing him to possibly re-deploy)

Also note, that since I last posted my list over on EO, I have not turned doctrine crazy (wargamer...) I've just added one (or 3 to be more precise) small elite squads that will drop behind enemy lines to keep them on their toes. (instead of the second hellhound)

I'm planning on doing the following:

SWSS1: 2 flamers, 1 demo charge
SWSS2: 2 flamers, 1 demo charge
5man Vet Squad: 3 Meltaguns (this squad will only be used when up against armies that I have no need for the griffon or that I know they use hidden tanks/land raiders)

What do you think?

I already have a squad converted so I'll post them up tomorrow along with my army in its current state (lots of pics!)

Jonik
Old 01 Nov 2004, 21:06   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer
Default Re: Drop trooping Special weapon squads

Seems a little boarderline powergaming... but then I'm firmly Space-Wolf in my views (fight on the ground!).

...wait, I'm nuts about Flyers... hell, I'm contradictory! ;D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 02 Nov 2004, 00:22   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Orion

sounds good but any decent player can counter this very well.

Say u play another gaurd player heavy on tanks all he has to do is fan out a squad of constrips or normal gaurd arround his tanks and then your cannot actually paradrop down to them very effectivly. And with all those special weps you arent gonna earn back your points vs any light infantry.

Vs any army with melee capabilities you may get 1 round of shots off but whatever u dont kill will charge and kill your units.

Btw i though griffon wasnt used anymore i mean it was removed from the codex.

"The quiet mouth gets fed last, Ask and you shall recieve"
-Unlimiter-
Old 02 Nov 2004, 07:07   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

It's in IAvol1.

Quote:
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 02 Nov 2004, 18:02   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
Seems a little boarderline powergaming...
Surly not! They are not cheap units, can be countered easily once they've landed, and are not 100% effective at the best of times... I'm trying to think of a real army which doesn't have some sort of special wepaons/special deployment squads.

US (etc) have parratroopers, navy seals, cia wet teams, SAS etc

I hadn't even planned for them to go into the guard army, I was just playing around with conversions, and produced a squad with grav chutes and wondered how to put them into the army.

I've then worked out how to make them effective but before that there was no intent of powergaming.

Jonik

(oh and when I post guard pics, do I post them here or on some konversion forum?)
Old 03 Nov 2004, 21:46   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Kre Mont re

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonik
(oh and when I post guard pics, do I post them here or on some konversion forum?)
+++Depends if you're showing off their paintjob or the conversions. If you're showing off the paintjob, post them on the painting forum. If you're showing off the conversions, post them on the conversion forum. Simple as. Or you could post them on the Showcase forum if you're really proud of the result+++
Old 07 Feb 2005, 19:18   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

If you are deep striking a unit, you have to remember that their positioning is not going to be 100% accurate. You are likely to get a scatter that will take you (on average) 7" in a random direction. Therefore, there is a chance that you wont land close to the enemy (remeber: when deep striking you cannot move on the same turn). Because of this, meltaguns, demolision charges, and flamers might not get to fire the turn they arrive. Because of a sudden threat of powerful special weapons landing near your opponent, they will probably divert some fire to the squad. The squad is only 6 men (and they are just guardsmen!). The squad will probably die or fall back when it gets shot. To counter these problems take grenade launchers. They have good range, are cheap, and should get to fire on the first turn before they get killed!
Old 08 Feb 2005, 10:03   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Tau Aun, this thread, like the other, is over a month old. I know the guard forum isn't the most active here, but please do not bring up dead threads.

Locked and Guarded

Quote:
Closed Thread