Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Sniper Gaurd
Old 01 Nov 2004, 09:12   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Orion
Default Sniper Gaurd

Ok i was looking through the codex.

I love snipers but i dislike eldar or sm sniper cuz they do not fit the style of the armies IMO.

So I was thinking of* making a gaurd sniper army.

I'll have to use doctrines for it unsure which 1's tho.

Something like:

Light infantry
Vetrans
x
x
x

I can get 1 sniper per squad with* plattons so thats 5 snipers off of 1 troop slot.
Also seeing as they can infiltrate* i will need a demolisher* up there with them.

No 1 will ever get close to a demolisher its just scary. And with 2 plasma cannons it can dish out some range.

I'll probably take 2 regular russ with battle cannon* so i can dish out some range and crush the enemy if they try to flank me

My hq support squads let me take 6 snipers not bad.

Then* fore my 3 elites i want vetrans* since they can have 3 plasma guns* a vet with stormbolter and* *mabe some shot guns of just lasguns but they can also infiltrate.

I was thinking of using grenaders to get 3 squads of troopers 2 plasma infiltrate or deepstrike with melta guns and* vet with stormbolter.

so* this list lets my regular gaurd squads have the ability to kill high Toughness models seeinf as they hit ona 2+ bs is irrelevant. And my vets will* ravage anything within 24'' along with my demolisher* pounding them.

In my mind i see* my tanks bashing shells in2 the enemy* then snipers picking off the remains.

Ps: i debated ratlings but i dont like only have 1 squad. so i have 1 question about them does selecting them frost restricted troops life the 0-1 restriction on them or not?

"The quiet mouth gets fed last, Ask and you shall recieve"
-Unlimiter-
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Nov 2004, 09:53   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer
Default Re: Sniper Gaurd

Take Special Weapon Squads as well... you can have three sniper rifles with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Nov 2004, 14:17   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Esque

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion

No 1 will ever get close to a demolisher its just scary. And with 2 plasma cannons it can dish out some range.
Be careful against lance weapons. War walkers wont ever get near a demolisher, but I have never ever had a demolisher earning its points back against me! They pop in turn 2, at the latest. I would fear a standard battle tank more, protecting your snipers, than I would your demolisher. The extra range is alpha omega for that tank, IMO!
Old 01 Nov 2004, 15:10   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

I tend to agree, the Demol is better in high-cover battles like Cityfights.

Quote:
Ps: i debated ratlings but i dont like only have 1 squad. so i have 1 question about them does selecting them frost restricted troops life the 0-1 restriction on them or not?
Restriced Troops cannot be taken at all unless you pay a Doctrine Point, which restores the entry to a Codex. If they are 0-1 in a proper army, they are still 0-1 in a Doctrinated army.

Oh, and like I said before, your "6 sniper rifles" for the HQ are only available if you take the Special Weapon Squads Doctrine.

Quote:
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 02 Nov 2004, 00:16   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

ok lets see then i've used 4 doctrine pts* *light infantry, vetrans, grenaders, and special wep squads but what would b a good choice for the 4th?

I was thinking roughriders or something* cuz they can mop up any unit that survives the ordance and sniper fire. And they are very fast able to defend my entire line of engagement.

Also what do u think about vetrans with 3 plasma guns sgt with stormbolter* what weapons would b more effective for them lasguns for the 24'' or shot guns for the 2 shots? I was thinking las but you never know about these things i've herd shotguns mop up gaunts like nothing else.

So should i even bolther using a doc pt for only 6 sniper rifles?

I was thinking hell hounds would b nice in this army, I have never used the new hell hound(rules i mean) they seem pretty effetive.

So most of my army with infiltrate with 24/36 inch range and my battle tanks can blast away at 72'' also i'll bring along a sentienal squad with hm lascannons mostlikley just for the ap of them.

-Unlimiter-
Old 02 Nov 2004, 09:09   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

"sniper guard", complete with stormtroopers, battle tanks and sentinels? Right, sorry, I'll just think of it as a normal guard army with as many sniper rifles as possible, okay.

Never used roughriders, so I can't say (tho I am planning on a unit in 2000pts).

The veterans - it's just me probably (being the caring Imperial Guard Commander I am... hah!) - those 3 plasmaguns would cause a lot of overheats... and quite a few veterans dying coz of their weapons... how did they become veterans? And definitely lasguns - with the new rules for rapid fire weapons you can still move and shoot twice at 12" (just like the shotgun), but you can't assault - not that that's a problem coz you'll be firing rapid fire plasmaguns which stop you from assaulting anyway.

doctrine points, imho, supposed to be there for "character" rather than for "effectiveness" - so yes, use the doctrine point for your 6 sniper rifles! - anyway, what else would you use it for?

Hellhound = tasty... anything with armour 4+ will fear it, especially eldar since "oh look, template weapon, ignores your conceal cover". And they'll attract fire like no tomorrow - away from all your other units.

A point about grenadiers - those troops stormtrooper squads can't infiltrate. That may change your plans slightly. Also, to keep with the "sniper" theme, consider the sharpshooters doctrine, to represent how everyone's a marksman at least.
Old 02 Nov 2004, 10:15   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

well sharpshooters are really uneffective since u can just buy more gaurd i was thinking mabe chameloine since i will most likley toss them all in cover.

And since when cant grenaders infiltrate mabe i missed it in the codex but dont they use them same entry?

-Unlimiter-
Old 02 Nov 2004, 10:24   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

It says in the Codex:

Quote:
The regiment may include 0-3 Storm Trooper squads as Troops.
These Storm Troopers may not Deep Strike or Infiltrate.
Pretty clear.

Quote:
Old 02 Nov 2004, 10:40   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

ty guess i missed it so* hm i'll drop grenaders.

the list will look something like

Hq with sentienl support

3 vet squads

3 platoons

3 hellhounds

3 russ

Presenting* alot of deadly targets* if they put off killing my sents* they will pay for it dearly* same with russ and hellhounds.

Hounds will need hk missiles along with the sents and some heavystubbers so that if they stray to close they will get a hail of firepower.

Also if my sniper causes a wound are they pinned?

as i would just love pinning tau to the ground

1 thing that i'm not sure of is which other doctrines to take. Any suggestion i know wargamer is gonna tell me 2 take carpase armor but i dont think its a good idea.

-Unlimiter-
Old 03 Nov 2004, 22:56   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Ow! 3 ord blasts, 3 st6 flamer templates, ow! OW!

*ahem*

Just wondering, how many points is this list?

H/K missiles on helhounds... that seems kinda useless, considering that both weaps on a hellhound are anti-infantry. Heavystubbers are a good idea, tho (move 6" and fire: st6 ap4 template, 3 hb shots, 3 hs shots).

To pin they need to cause a wound and the enemy has to fail a morale check (so, don't rely on it).

As for other doctrines, you can't take carapace armour with light infantry anyway. Hmm, you've currently got light infantry, veterans... ? cameoline would be good (just insist on quite a bit of terrain for every battle) and characterful (snipers hiding). Really, up to you. Iron Discipline tends to be good, not sure how that'd work fluffwise tho. What happened to the special weapons squads with snipers?