Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Guard List Please Read and Comment
Closed Thread
Old 22 Feb 2006, 10:39   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Guard List Please Read and Comment

This a Guard army ive just come up with, please read and give me your feedback.

HQ
Heroic Senior Officer w/Macharian Cross
Command Squad w/ 2 Meltaguns
All mounted in a Chimera w/ turret multi-laser, hull heavy bolter and extra armour.

Elites
5 Stormtroopers w/ 2 Plasma Guns and Infiltrate

Troops
10 Grenadiers w/ 2 Plasma Guns, mounted in Chimera w/ turret multi-laser, hull heavy bolter and extra armour.

10 Grenadiers w/ 2 Plasma Guns, mounted in Chimera w/ turret multi-laser, hull heavy bolter and extra armour.

Fast Attack
3 Single Sentinel Squadrons all with Lascannons and Armoured Crew Compartment. One Sentinel also has Improved Comms.

Heavy Support
Destroyer Tank Hunter w/ Extra Armour

Leman Russ Demolisher w/ Hull Lascannon, Sponson Plasma Cannon and Extra Armour

Leman Russ Vanquisher w/ Hull Lascannon, Sponson Heavy Bolters and Extra Armour

Total: 1,500pts.
Old 22 Feb 2006, 11:08   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer
Default Re: Guard List Please Read and Comment

Care to give a total? I may have the Codex memorised inside and out, but not everyone does, and we're not going to add up your list because you can't be bothered putting a 4-digit number at the bottom.

Macharian Cross ain't great... leave it at home.
I'd get a Medic in there, maybe two. They are very useful against small arms fire.

Not really sure what else to say... assuming this is a 1,500pt list (it looks like it to me), it might struggle to hold objectives in scenarios due to lack of manpower, and any army with decent tank-hunting ability will give this force a headache.

Should be interesting to see it fielded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 22 Feb 2006, 12:27   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Sorry. You assumed right its 1500 pts.
Old 27 Feb 2006, 03:48   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I don't like the min/max concept you are using, with only 2 troop choices, and 4 others wargamers powergamer list would probably score you badly. Winning isn't everything. I played in a 1500 hall of heroes yesterday and went 2-0-2 but won best painted and overall champion because my lists were balanced and fun for my opponent to play against. Just my thoughts
Old 27 Feb 2006, 07:05   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

who says this is a power gamer list. a few heavy bolters should have no trouble getting through the infantry and sentinels. which leaves the tanks as sitting ducks. and as wargamer said, you wont have alot to spare to hold objectives.
seems pretty cool. at first i thought you where starting off and couldn't be bothered getting enough infantry so you got stormtroopers but man, vanquisher AND destroyer tank hunter. your expecting some srious armour resistance aren't you? this list will take care of you average marine powerlist, but you'll be outnumbered against anything else, and with guard thats never a good idea.

Old 27 Feb 2006, 16:45   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elessar
who says this is a power gamer list.
As I said I did not like the min/max concept of playing an army. I also suggested that if you ran the list through Wargamers "Powergamer" generator table you might not like the results. So since you asked who says this is a power gamer list I ran the army list through powergamers and unless I made a mistake or two I got a total score of 18 (total cheater) according to that generator. Now lets assume I made a mistake and take off 20% for errors that gives a score of 14 which is conisdered "power gamer". So my original statement was factual and thus I stand by my original comment about min/max army selections. Because you can doesn't mean you always should. We have all played games against the marine player who takes 2-man troop squads las/plas and then loads up on 3 elite, 3 fast and 3 heavy with 2 HQ. Not fluffy nor really fun to play with. In the tourney on Saturday I played against a marine player who did this and battled him to a draw but it wasn't a fun game.

Cleaned up your quote tags.
-Wargamer
Old 27 Feb 2006, 23:39   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

I think the list is very easy to destroy because low model count. The number of tanks are standard for 1500 pts but the number of troop are not.

I remember the time when I bring Powergamer test to my local game comunity and got smacked because everyone score insane cheater . Their list are still beatable (too easy because low model count).
Old 28 Feb 2006, 00:45   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I think the macharian cross is great if you know how to use it. I am curious why does one sentinel has improved coms when you have no deep strike units? I don't think this list is min-max-ish... grenadiers are expensive, with those extra grenades and such, and a hellgun that may not do any more than a lasgun depending on who you are shooting at... number-crunching would see those points better spent on regular infantry, so taking the grenadiers kinda gives it some class in my opinion.
Old 28 Feb 2006, 17:50   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

The army list has changed due to playtesting and peoples advice. I also think I miscalculated the points which has given me a bit more to play with.
HQ
Senior Officer w/Power Sword
Command Squad w/ 2 Meltaguns and 2 Flamers
All mounted in a Chimera w/ turret multi-laser, hull heavy bolter and extra armour.

Attached Sentinel w/ Multi-Laser and Search light

Elites
5 Stormtroopers w/ 2 Plasma Guns and Deep Strike

Troops

Fast Attack
2 Single Sentinel Squadrons all with Lascannons and Armoured Crew Compartment.
1 Sentinel with Multi-Laser, Armoured Crew Compartment and Improved Comms.

Heavy Support
Destroyer Tank Hunter w/ Extra Armour

Leman Russ Demolisher w/ Hull Lascannon, Sponson Plasma Cannon and Extra Armour

Leman Russ Vanquisher w/ Hull Lascannon, Sponson Heavy Bolters, Extra Armour and Veterans

Total: 1,500pts.

I have improved comms just incase i'm playing a mission with Escalation. This force's background is that it is a small elite rapid strike force, left behind on a planet by a crusade force to finish mopping up the survivors. They have plasma weapons because there have been multiple sightings of Alpha Legion Marines and the Destroyer and Vanquisher are partof the force because it is suspected that there is still a considerable force of enemy armour hiding out in the wasteland around the city that they are stationed in.

As you can see the force now has the maximum of grenadiers that i can have.
I have playtested the one listed above and have come out with 2 Victories, a Draw and 2 Losses.
Old 28 Feb 2006, 21:02   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Guard Or Go Home
As I said I did not like the min/max concept of playing an army.
i really dont see whats bothering you min/max wise. the only squad i can see that has this configuration is the stormtrooper squad, one squad is hardly cheesyfying. seeing as his guard regiment is using an alternate organization the normal restrictions to min amount of troop choices dont really count.as for the sentinels, well thats just common sense. no commander fields all of his scouts in the same place.

Quote:
I also suggested that if you ran the list through Wargamers "Powergamer" generator table you might not like the results. So since you asked who says this is a power gamer list I ran the army list through powergamers and unless I made a mistake or two I got a total score of 18 (total cheater) according to that generator. Now lets assume I made a mistake and take off 20% for errors that gives a score of 14 which is conisdered "power gamer".
well believe it or not that test isn't the ultimate authority in list making. so just becuase the test said this list was powergamerish doesn't mean we can pull out the cheese fingers.

Quote:
Because you can doesn't mean you always should.
very poetic but rather irrelevant to the arguement, wouldn't you say? i never claimed powergamer lists where good, or encouraged making them.

Quote:
So my original statement was factual and thus I stand by my original comment about min/max army selections.
whether it is a powergamer list is an opinion. it cannot be proven, therefore your statement wasn't 'factual'. it can't be factual.

in my opinion power gamer lists are lsits that sacrific fluff and fun for effectiveness. he has not stated what his fluff is so we can't say his list is unfluffy(im thinking elite strike for with a famous imperial hero(HSO with macharian cross) on a special op with armour support to distact and cover) i haven't played against him so i can't say his list makes for a boring match. and as far as i can see it would be really easy to beat. as far as im concerned not very powergamerish.

Closed Thread