Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Guard list for 2000 points
Closed Thread
Old 21 Feb 2006, 22:41   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Guard list for 2000 points

i just started to play, and i need a list for 2000 points. i play impereal guards[
Old 22 Feb 2006, 00:45   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Guard list for 2000 points

My suggestion to you,

Get the codex, have a look and make your own list first before asking people to make a list for you. We will gladly look at your list and help you out, but why should we make a list for you?
Old 22 Feb 2006, 17:22   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I have the codex and some units, but I don't know wich to use :-X :-X :-X
Old 22 Feb 2006, 19:30   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Mrgame

My advice screw 2000pts,start with 500 or 750,what units do you have,its better to start small than jump in chances are your @$$ will be grass because you never played with half the units.

Your jumping in to fast,what happens if you don't like what you bought stat wise in a game,you cant return it,sell it ya but its covient to get what you know you need.

Tell us what you got than we can help
Old 22 Feb 2006, 20:09   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

how often are you going to use this army? if its a one off then go for a very effective SIGAFH, if you want a proper regiment then your going to have to give us some fluff.

start off with what you need, and HQ choice. your only option is the command platoon, so its a no brainer. now think of how you want to kit it out, do you want a proper HQ to leader your men into battle, or a cheap junior officer to save points and get more men. after that get an infantry platoon, so a command squad again and 2 infantry squads. think about who you are going to fight to out fit these guys, if marines missile launchers, while hevay bolters are great against high mdoel count armies, and lascannons will work great against heavy armour.

after that choose how your going to go for your second troop choice. do you want a horde of cheap expendable conscripts to thow into the meatgrinder, an armoured fist squad to add some mobility? or you could even go with a second platoon. my personal suggestiong is go with an armoured fist, this way you dont have to pay for another useless command squad. and since you still ahve 3 empty slots in your platoon you still ahve plenty of space for more infantry.

now you can either equip your armoured fist to be aggresive, riding in the chimera and deploying to rapid fire, with which plasma guns work great. or you can use the chimera as a shield for your squad and give them a lascannon to sit inside the chimera and take potshots. or you could use them as a normal squad, deploying them on the battle like the rest and ahve the chimera drive off to mow down infantry.

if you chose to go with conscripts your options are more limited. since special weapons become more expensive andmore inaccurate you wan to avoid them at all costs(especially heavy weapons which become ludicrously expensive), with, perhaps the exception of the flamer. the flamer is good becuase you dont have to role to hit, making the conscripts poor balistic skill irrelevant. also the high strength and ap means it gives them a good edge. the problem with conscripts is leadership, so remember to always keep an officer nearby, or have an independant commissar join them.

your third option, a second platoon, i hardly ever use unless its really big battles. the problem with platoons are the command squads, which are bascily ahve a squad, but cost 10 point more than half a squad. so if you take a second platoon its becuase your using alot of infantry. to equip the squads you have to know who your fighting, the same as with the first platoon. my favorite combination is a grenade launcher and a missile launcher(or autocannon), which deals well with pretty much every army. but if you play against marines or necrons you mgiht want to get a plasma gun instead, or a flamer if you know your getting up close and personal. i usually dont give them meltas, i reserve those for armoured fist, veterans, or special weapon teams.

after you ahve your compulsory choices its time to outfit your squads from the armoury. if you bought veteran sargeants for your squads then theres only one thing i can recomend: bolters, bolters all around for one more point youve added a great weapon to your squad which will give you slightly more dakka more minimum points. for your platon commanders i go with one of two options. the close combat, which consists of a powersword and bolt(or las) pistol. the ranged is a stormbolter. dirt cheap combos, and they tremendously increase a command squads efficiency. for HQ commanders i usualy go with the powersword and pistol unless you decided to go with a junior officer. if you added a commissar or priest and are thinking of puting this squad into the thick of it you might want to even consider a powerfist.

once all your squads have weapons and wargear you choose which way you want to take your army. most people go with some go ol IG armour and buy a leman russ. armed with a lascannon or heavy bolters it can deal with any situation. or if you play in cities you could go for a demolisher. its not that much better than a normal russ, but then again its not that much more expencive. i outift demolishers with lascannons and plasma cannons. you could go with a basilisk, but in most cases a russ with give you better results since most of the basilisks range is usually waisted and the extra strength on the earthshaker doesn't make much of a difference.

if your going for an aggressive army rough riders are a cheap assault unit that works wonders in large numbers. armed with hunting lances they wreck havoc against expensive models like marines and necrons, while massed shotgun charges decimate units of weak models like nids or eldar. i usually dont go with a laspistol CCW combo sine lances are better in closecombat and shotgun volleys are more effective ate a distance.

another option is stormtroopers, since their special weapons means they can be outfitted for any situation. these guys greatly compliment normal guardsmen, especialy against eldar or other low armour armies where the hellguns better ap makes a big difference. one thing i have to say is never take them without special weapons, since these define what they do. for tank hunting get meltas and deepstrike, or infiltrate with some flamers at the ready to soften horde armies up a bit. plasma guns are great since the high armour save means over heat kills are rarer, and the high BS ensures the plasmas potential is fully used. grenade launchers are great all around weapons but i usually leave them to normal guardsmen. for an extra 2 points id go with the plasma gun if your strom troopers will jsut sit and fire. for your sargeant id go with jsut a bolter, since the powersword doesn't get used that often. but its not out of the question if combined with a bolt pistol, or even plasma pistols.

now i could go and give advice for every other entry in the codex, but i can't be asked. so ive given you the three entries that will define how you want to send your army, armoured army, aggresive army, infantry army. but personaly i would do this: read the codex, make up a regiment you think sounds look, give it doctrines, make a fluffy army list.

Old 22 Feb 2006, 23:09   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

i just started to play, and i need a list for 2000 points. i play impereal guards ihave the codex and some units but i just dont no what to do ???
Old 22 Feb 2006, 23:23   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Mrgame

What units do you have,what are they equiped with,how many points.

If you have 2 to 3 filled infantry slots your fine there,the hq always can be tweaked.
If you have nothing in elites,fast attack(only thing worth while is the hellhound)or heavy support fill those up to an extent.

We're trying to help but no info on what you have or want.
Make up a 2000pt list post it here we can see whats right,wrong, good or bad.
Old 23 Feb 2006, 04:59   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

ok. First, what did you buy for units?

second, do you know what they are or can be equipped with?

third. do you have the warhammer 40000 rule book?

fourth, do you have a codex?

5th, do you understand everything in the rules and codex? If not, ask us on the rules help board.

6th, what kind of strategy are you planning on?

after you have answered these questions, we can help you a bit more, maybe give you suggestions for your first 500 points, and you can build it from there.

However, we will not design lists for you, and cant help you if you say "I play Imperial Guard, I have some units, and a codex. make me a list" We dont even know if the units you have are Imperial Guard units.

As for what to do, get some help at your local gaming store, or from someone in person who knows more about the hobby, they will help you understand the codex, and get you started on a list alot easier than we can online, because you can show them things, and explain things easier.
Closed Thread