Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Effectiveness of the flamer
View Poll Results: Being a very shooty player, I don't think I have EVER killed something with a flamer. Is it worth it
Yes 11 26.83%
Yes, in certain situation's 22 53.66%
No, most of the time 7 17.07%
No, ever 1 2.44%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 17 Feb 2006, 20:34   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Effectiveness of the flamer

I don't know why, but I just don't see it's use in the Guard. Sure, it's great when a bunch of Orks run up, but when playing the enemy's I normally do, and with the amount of tanks and otehr weapons, I rarely use tham at all, but several are in my list.

Should they stay, or go?

[img width=650 height=288]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a99/GeneralStankov/finalcopy.jpg[/img]
Old 17 Feb 2006, 20:42   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer
Default Re: Effectiveness of the flamer

In my last two games, Flamers have proven very useful indeed... first game one baked four Guard (IG vs IG, always bloody), and in my fight today I cooked a Necron. Who cares if it was only one kill, it's still 150% of the guy's cost!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 17 Feb 2006, 20:42   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to legio mortis

In cityfights they are your best friend, as it is in other maps with tons of cover.
But seriously, a Guardsman, I'm willing to bet, could a) outshoot me, b) give me the beating of my life, and c) shove more squad-based tactics down my throat than I'd ever care to digest. Guard are hard, hard men. Whether or not GW's inconsistent, Marine-worshipping fluff keeps with that, mkay?

Real men fight in tanks!

sig by Kais

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox
Legio why do I always imagine you shouting when I read your posts? :P
Old 17 Feb 2006, 20:48   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I've taken a flamer only a few times in my IG armies and each time they were completely useless, but that is probably because my standerd opponants are tau, space marines, necrons and other guard players. Against these armies a flamer will probably be the worst special weapon you can choose (maybe against tau and guard, but you'll need to deep strike or else they just get shot up). I have often seen that flamers are most effective when used in mutiples (as with so many things in the guard), but to be honest I don't think it's really worth it and will much rather invest points in grenade launchers and plasma guns. A hellhound on the other hand makes the best use of the flamer template, not only is it stronger, but also fires over a distance.

Greetz,
Col. Alexander

"With all those big and shiny guns, it sure impresses ya when you're fighting them, but in the end it's the Imperium who is victorious"-Colonel Iskandor Craitz about the Tau

"This Craitz figure is a intresting human, he is loyal to his fractioning Imperium, but still he has honour that other humans lack. It will be a shame killing him"- Shas'O M'Yen Mesme

Armies:
Imperial Guard mech force: 1500 pts (work in progress)
Imperial Guard Infantry: 1000 pts
Tau: 1500 pts
Necrons: 2000 Pts
Old 17 Feb 2006, 20:53   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

they are good for their points cost, but i never take them. i jsut dont like them, i dont feel them like i do toher IG weapons. they are perfectly fine i see no reason not to use them, but they ahve the same efect on me as pykers do. i dont like them and wont use them. even my urban regiment hesitates before picking one up.

Old 17 Feb 2006, 21:01   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

flamers are so cool they should have afros O0

you dont miss, they st 4 hit so you can actually burn up orks and necrons and marines with reasonable chance of success. they ignore cover saves.
they are cheap. I am with Wargamer on this, if you can hit that template across a squad you will kill more than the value of the weapon points-wise even if you only end up with 2 kills. the most important thing when using flamers is to just put them in dedicated squads. A long range HW infantry squad with a Lascan or MisLunch will not need a flamer. A cheap platoon command squad with a couple of flamers and some ccw will make anybody think twice about closing in.
Old 17 Feb 2006, 21:10   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Wargamer: When in battles of Attrition w/ other guard, they're grrrrreat! Although, I don't care how munch of a percent kill per point, if there's still necrons out of reach, I won't be using it, so...

Legio: Oh, of course! D6 hits at bolter stats! God like!
Anywhere else, however...

Alex: Yes, a purely dedicated flamer squad certainly does hit the spot, and especially alongside Ogryns or HQs with meltas. However, with normal squads, a GL will suffice

Elessar: Exactly. They just don't seem, well, right. I just don't feel comfortable using them. Huh, seeing as I play Valhallans

Squiggie: True, but by the time they get close to Necrons, orks, and SM, they are pretty probably dead.

[img width=650 height=288]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a99/GeneralStankov/finalcopy.jpg[/img]
Old 17 Feb 2006, 21:17   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

I wonder... for those who take them, how do you field them?

Personally, I stick them in normal squads. I usually deploy so that there is a 26-28" gap between me and the enemy... so they close, find they are out of charge range of my squad, which then moves (sacrificing the heavy weapon fire) and hits them with flamer and rapid fire. The tactic has served me well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 17 Feb 2006, 21:20   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

I'd hate to play you...

2 inches! Its fething two inches!

Heeheehee, just watch...

*Proceeds to kill several with flamer blasts*

What teh FETH! Thats so cheap! I hate you, Wargamer!

Heeheehee! Good tactic!

If I take them at all, they're in a command section with soem otehr meltas, maybe a GL, and a JO with PW and a Commie with a PW.

Old 17 Feb 2006, 21:22   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

i take them in conscript platoons to give them a bit of an edge, and in anything that deepstrikes.never in normal guard squads, they get nade launchers.

Closed Thread