Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Battle Rep: Catachans vs. Lost and the Damned
Closed Thread
Old 15 Feb 2006, 16:07   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Battle Rep: Catachans vs. Lost and the Damned

Guzman gazed at the clearing in the jungle. The People’s Army of Lord Von Strasburg amassed on the other side. Conejo lit his LHO stick, inhaled then blue smoke billowed from his nostrils. “Traitorous dogs,” Conejo spat “they wish to draw us out and fight on their terms. This is a trap, Guzman, a trap I tell you.”
“Have faith my friend, the light of the Emperor and the saints have blessed us this day, for today we fight. Ready the men for battle my friend!”

The lists:
Ok, critics before you go all tear this list a new one I want the following noted for the record: This a trial tourney list, the basic ideal of the list is play static but have a pretty good counter charge. I went missile launcher crazy because I tend to think in a tourney your gonna run into some heavy armor. I also have 2 ambushing sqds. If I run into another static player.
Catachan 909th

Hq.
Colonel Fuser Guzman, Pfist, Crimson Medallion, Refractor Field.
X4 DWV’s CCW 1 Flamer
Troops
Platoon Uno
Captain Conjeo Stormbolter P-weapon
DWV (10) Sqd 1 – Flamer, Vet Sarg P fist
DWV (10) Sqd 2 – Missile Launcher
DWVFS x3 Teams Autocannons
Platoon Dos
Lt. W/ P-weapon
DVW (10) sqd 1 – Plasma Gun
DWV (10) sqd. 2 – Missile Launcher
DWVFS x 3 teams – Heavy Bolters
Platoon Tres
Lt.
DWV (10) sqd.1- Missile Launcher
DWV (10) sqd.2 – Missile Launcher
Elites
X5 Devils Veteran Sarg P-fist
Fast Attack
X5 Vet Patrol, Vet w/P-fist 1 flamer
Total pts. 1247

Lost and the Damned (estimate, never played L&TD or read any lists)
Hq.
Arch Heritic with plasma pistol
10x Traitor Guards 1 flamer w/Chimera Transport multilaser, HB
Troops
18 Traitors w/ Aspiring Champion
18 Traitors w/ Aspiring Champion
Elites
X6 Bloodletters
Heavy Support
Defiler
X1 Obliterator
Fast Attack
Hellhound
X3 Sentinels w/Multilaser

Lost and the Damned Turn 1

The sentinel sqd. used its free move to get in firing position along side the river. On the other side of the field the chimera moved along side the tree line out of sight from the Catachan missile launchers on the other side. The Hellhound moved the edge of the woods tracking the infiltrating Guzman and his retinue. The rest of the army took a defensive stance. In the shooting phase the sentinel sqd fell two Catachan solders from 1st platoon 2nd sqd. The obliterator formed a heavy bolter and killed a guardsman. The defiler’s pie plate smacked 5 guardsmen, but thanks to cover saves only two died. The hellhound shot its inferno cannon at the only 2 guardsmen it could see hiding in the woods; they were consumed in a fiery blast. The chimera shots both mutilaser and heavy bolter and killed but one Catachan. No combat.

Catachan 909th Turn 1

Guzman and the surviving retinue move through the woods towards a sqd of traitor guard. Infantry 1 or Platoon 1 moved into rapid fire position towards an adjacent sqd of traitor guard. Infantry 2 of platoon 2 moved up the hill towards the chimera. In shooting sqd 1 and 2 of platoon 3 failed ld checks to shoot at the defiler and had to target the sentinels. One sentinel was destroyed and the other lost it’s multilaser. 2 sqd of first platoon also had a shot on the defiler and like platoon 3 failed an ld test and shot at the sentinel sqd blowing up the undamaged one. However the autocannons passed their ld test and could actually shoot at the pie chucking defiler. They struck true and destroyed it! Guzman fired at the traitor guardsman and he and his men killed 3. But sqd.1 of platoon shot the full fury of their standard issue flashlights and only killed a traitor. After that Guzman and his men charged into combat killing 5men, who stood fast and mobbed around the HQ.

Lost and the Damned Turn 2

With a sqd in combat, the sentinels down and the defiler out of commission, the traitors were on the defensive. The chimera moved forward, the hellhound repositioned for a shot on sqd 1 of platoon 1 that were moving through the woods. In shooting phase continued to shoot the same sqd it fired on last turn killing yet another man. The sqd of traitors not in combat with Guzman fired at sqd 1 of platoon 1 and killed 2. The hellhound unleashed the inferno cannon on sqd 1 of platoon 1 burning all eight of them (ouch! the pain it burns..) The advancing chim nailed 2 more Catachan men. Combat phase Guzman killed 4 more traitors, but lost 1 of his own.

Catachan 909th Turn 2

2nd sqd of platoon 2 continued to move up the hill towards the advancing chim. The rest of the army looked for prime targets to take out at range. 2nd sqd of platoon 2 fired it missile at the advancing chimera destroying it and killing 2 troopers inside. The autocannons finished the sentinels sqd. The heavy bolters took one traitor down. The rest of the sqds took aim at the hellhound but did nothing to it. Hand-to-hand came to a draw Guzman killing 2 men the champion attached to the traitor guard unit finally killing 2. Guzman was alone in combat.

Lost and the Damned turn 3

The pinned sqd of the downed chim rolled for summoning (after the game we looked up the rule and concluded that this should not have been possible.) Traitors got the roll and the bloodletters landed close to Guzman. They promptly moved in for the kill. The obliterator lumbered forward. The obliterator shot it’s heavy bolter and killed 2. The bloodletters charged into combat with Guzman, Guzman did not last long…blood for the blood god. The bloodletters swept along side the woods.

Catachan 909th Turn 3

Fearing the worst, Conejo moved with 2nd sqd of platoon 1 to engaged the bloodletters. Cats revealed the first of 2 ambushes, the Devil’s Sqd emerged next the bloodletters. The autocannons moved to the top the hill and the heavy bolters moved up for a better firing position. The missile launchers continued to fire on the hellhound and managed to stun it for a turn. 2nd sqd of platoon 2 fired it flashlights at the bloodletters killing one. The devils fired as well but killed nothing. Conejo fired at the pinned traitors killing 2 who in turn failed a ld test then retreated. The devils in an attempt to slow the advance of the blootletters charged into combat with them. Whelp, not so much as the bloodletters cleaved all five devils into pieces.

Lost and the Damn Turn 4

Gaining momentum the bloodletters moved towards sqd 2 of platoon 2 all that stood in their way was a hill. The fleeing traitors regrouped. The Obliterator fires on the heavy bolters killing 2 forcing an ld test. They fail and run off the table. Then the Bloodletters attempted to charge but rolled bad on a difficult terrain test.

Catachan 909th Turn 4

The vet patrol sqd reveals itself. They fire and kill one bloodletter. Sqd 2 of platoon 2 took aim and killed one more bloodletter, but sadly the plasma gunner dies in a tragic overheating incident. Another one of the demon falls to a crack missile. While the autocannons in there new position see the recently regrouped chim sqd, and after passing an ld test they fire and kill them all. Meanwhile on the other side of the battle the hellhound takes some serious fire but manages to bounce off each missile! Finally the vet patrol charges the remaining bloodletters, veteran sgt. Solis armed with his P-fist kills the remaining demons, but in the action one of the vet patrol is killed. They sweep back into the woods.

Lost and the Damned Turn 5

In a strategic move, the hellhound moved behind the woods keeping safe from all the missile launchers. The two traitor guard sqd move into the woods to engage the vet patrol but do a lousy difficult terrain roll the move only an inch into the woods. The lone obliterator takes aim at a new target the autocannons and kills 2 loaders. They pass their ld test.

Catachan 909th Turn 5

The vet patrol moves deeper into the woods to engage both traitors sqds. 2nd sqd of 2nd platoon is not far behind. All remaining units fire both missiles and flashlights at the lone obliterator but tragically do nadda. The vet patrol kills one traitor with a meltagun then rushes in. In combat one vet dies while one traitor sqd is wiped out a total of three dead. The last of the traitors sqds pass the ld test and mob up with the vet patrol.

Lost and the Damned Final Turn

Fearing a close and tight final score, the People’s army of Von Strasburg use some point shaving techniques by keeping the hellhound out of LOS. The obliterator fires once again at the autocannons killing 2 more, but once again they stand fast. In combat the chaos champion cleaves the remaining vet patrol members! They display cowardly cunning and sweep out of the woods away from 2nd sqd 2nd platoon. (Dirty Dogs!)

Catachan 909th Final Turn

2nd sqd. 2nd platoon pursue the remaining traitors and get within rapid fire range. But a dust storm hits the battlefield and gets dirt and shrapnel into the eyes off the units! For in shooting phase every shot is missed. Four crack missiles somehow missed the obliterator along with every flashlight in range also doing the same! Save for trusty 2nd sqd of 2nd platoon that rapid fire into the last of the traitors killing 2.

Final Score:

Catachan 909th 823pts.
People’s Army of Von Strasburg 682 pts.

Marginal victory for the Catachans!

Ok, now that I look back at the battle I was fairly lucky. The list is too staticand the lacks the counter charge punch that I would need to do well against multiple types of armies. So it’s back to the drawing board with me. My old lists usually I filed my trusty bone’eads as my counter punch and I usually put a guy via honorifica with one of the ambushing sqds. this time I stripped every thing down to put up some numbers and fielded some anti-armor. I need to play with the numbers and find a healthy medium between the two schools of thought. That is not to say I did not make tactical mistakes, I made plenty. Charging the Devil’s into the bloodletters was costly and did not stall their movement at all. Also charging 2 traitor guards units with the vet patrol also a rash move that got my men killed. I have to time the ambushes better since they are a key component to my force.

[img width=650 height=169]http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/1077/ordounlimitedsigcopybcopylc7.jpg[/img]
Old 15 Feb 2006, 16:59   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Battle Rep: Catachans vs. Lost and the Damned

Kudos to the 909th for taking down the traitors!

Quote:
My old lists usually I filed my trusty bone’eads as my counter punch and I usually put a guy via honorifica with one of the ambushing sqds
That's Sgt. Paco. I definitely think he needs to be in any tournament list you are fielding. Buried Pfists are excellent.

From what I understand, pinned squads cannot do anything. I think this includes summoning Deamons.

I like the largely distributed amounts of heavy weapons though- it gives you lots of options against armor, and it sounds like you can use all of them since he still had a Hellhound alive at the end.

Old 15 Feb 2006, 17:41   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

he kept his hellhound out of LOS, on the plus side the hellhound only got to one sqd. and when I did have shots on it I rolled horrible. Still I think some counter punch in the list.

[img width=650 height=169]http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/1077/ordounlimitedsigcopybcopylc7.jpg[/img]
Old 15 Feb 2006, 18:15   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Ambushing 2 units looked very effective too- could you squeeze a flamer into that Devil unit as well? If you can get that close- flamers become a thing of wonder at that range.

Old 15 Feb 2006, 19:00   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

flamers are a whoppin' 16 pts on a devil sqd. I think in the future I will go with 2 vet patrols instead, and throw a falmer in both

Old 15 Feb 2006, 22:39   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Awesome!

The pictures are what kept me goin'. I sometimes quit if there's no visula aid.

It looks like, for a Catachan army, you need more powerful punch in assault. Ogryns are a necessity, really. They would've eaten up anything short of Termies, and I am convinced would've downed that Oblit.

I think a Chimera is needed, but Catachan's aren't allowed them... hmmmm...

I guess foot slog it, and hope for a close ranged firefight, while moving your ogryns [if you get them] in, while your otehr weapons support.

My suggestion: Concentrate your fire. Put everything into one enemy, and move on when he dies. This will stop you splitting your fire, and failing to accomplish much.

Overall: Congrats on the win! [And I guess you really don't need stinkin' AP afterall...]

[img width=650 height=288]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a99/GeneralStankov/finalcopy.jpg[/img]
Old 15 Feb 2006, 23:28   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Yeah, my Ogyrns have had their problems getting in to H2H as of late...one of the reasons for the list was to see what is like to go bone'eadless and therefore less overall machismo on the battlefield. As for concentrating fire, yeah I don't know what I was thinking disobeying the tactica imperialis on that one whelp this weekend I intend to try yet another Catachan list out I'll post the bat rep win or lose.

Old 16 Feb 2006, 00:53   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

SOunds great!

I can't wait for this!

Anywho, do you happen to have close-ups of your colonel? He looks like a cool model!

Stankov

[img width=650 height=288]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a99/GeneralStankov/finalcopy.jpg[/img]
Old 16 Feb 2006, 23:05   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to wonderboy

wonderful report. nice to see some catachan reps. great pics, and a nicely painted army too.

2000 points
1500 points
my army lists.
Old 16 Feb 2006, 23:45   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

next report I take a close up of Guzman, he really just a simple conversion of Volten, a great model to start with.

Closed Thread