Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Responce to: Clytus Androgynous Maximus III at his finest
Closed Thread
Old 15 Feb 2006, 14:24   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Responce to: Clytus Androgynous Maximus III at his finest

Sorry to make a new thread, but my computer glitches when I try to reply.

This would never happen. Arguing with a commissar about missing lascannons is not the Inquisition's job. It just isn't. They deal with matters of Faith, the demonic and the alien. A senior commissar would confront Clytus, or an Administratum official. Not an Inquisitor. If they did ask the =I= to step in, chances are they'd A) refuse and tell them to do their own job and to stop wasting their time B) if through some VERY hard political back stabbing they some how did accomplish it, it would not be an Ordo Malleus investigation. The Ordo Malleus fights thev demonic, not the greedy commissar. That would go to the Ordo Hereticus or the Ordo Xenos (because they were fighting tau at the time.)

The Grey Knights would never get involved in this situation. They are a top secret elite anti demon task force. They would never be called in to chastise a few greedy guardsmen. Other marine chapters, yes, Sisters of Battle, yes. The Death Watch? Maybe. The Grey Knights? never.

There are a few situations, which are in the DH codex btw, that GK would fight IG. The Commissar is possessed. They fpught chaos, saw to much and are now going to "die gloriously in battle for their emperor." One of their battle trophies has a demon in it. The Grey Knights are too secretive, and too important to be wasted on the embezzlement of lascannons. Its just not their thing. The DH have the Red Scorpion Chapter (I believe thats their name, but I could be wrong) for such minor annoyances, as well as regiments of IG, legions of Storm Troopers, and the abnility to harness Chapters such as trhe Ultramarines and Raven Guard. They wouldn't bother the Grey Knights with this.
Old 16 Feb 2006, 07:02   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Re: Responce to: Clytus Androgynous Maximus III at his finest

l

One word posts are not your friend, let alone one letter...
-Wargamer.
Old 16 Feb 2006, 20:58   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Altyre
l

One word posts are not your friend, let alone one letter...
-Wargamer.
what??

well I to respond to the 'i'm sorry I cant get the reply thing down' post... The inquisition takes care of its affairs in a top secret way like you said. perhaps they are covering up a past errors and erasing past mistakes. that's why i am fighting GK this weekend. the inquisitors have multiple purposes and odd agendas each unique to their own personal psychopathic crusade. Clytus has no 'senior' commissars. He has seen table for 10+ years. He is not a greedy commissar, just a realist who dislikes the little yapping dogs who get in the way of him doing his duty. A true Commissar in spirit, but a few corners cut with the administratum. Their last duty was to blow up some xenos Tau, and before that they blew up some chaos marines - so it is quite likely that the imperial powers-that-be would send some inquisitor with his nose in the air to check on this 'rogue' commissar and his missing lascannons.

hey all i want to do is kick this guy's ahem and find a fluffable reason to do so. I nailed his tau. now I shall nail his knights and put him in his place for all the powergaming he does to my little group. I promise you my fellow guardsmen they will be slaughtered. but... dice are dice... so maybe not....

bull. I'll kill him so dead he will have to go play space marines or something next time.
Old 17 Feb 2006, 00:29   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

A better way to do it would be to say at the last second a Guevesa turned into a Keeper of Secrets, which they nuked w/ their 1000 lascannons, so the Grey Knights show up to make sure the IG "die honorably in battle" to cover it up. The Ordo Malleus deal with the demonic. Period. Theres a reason why they are the most secretive Ordo. They have nothing to do with Xenos or corrupt officers unless it stems from the Demonic. Using the Grey Knights to kill some renegade IG is like using a .50 caliber machine gun to kill a squirrel in their eyes.
Old 17 Feb 2006, 06:47   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Bash

Keep it calm, guys...

I could see, at most, the Ordo Hereticus coming into this...for a wayward breach of protocol that could be argued gave the Commissar too much power which he didn't bother to report for some suspicious reason. In any case...no Commissar would EVER 'crack wise' to an Inquisitor. Ever. Even if he was suicidally audacious, that's just against everything he believes in...or...as the case may be, HE is possessed by a Daemon that causes him to do such things...even though, of course, it'd have to be a pretty unsubtle Daemon at that.

In any case, the Grey Knights would never come in to kill a renegade Imperial Guard regiment...one that's tainted by Chaos? Yes. One over-exposed to Chaos? Yes. This circumstance? No...the OM wouldn't be there at at all and if they were, I doubt they'd call in the Grey Knights.

Really...I think you should just let it all slide and play the game and have fun without making fluff for this. If you were, do as MikeH suggests and argue Daemonic possession or manipulation or even just exposure. That's why they'd be there.

Currently playing: Imperial Guard in 40k, Chaos in Fantasy
Old 17 Feb 2006, 08:15   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

His fluff isn't quite as far fetched as you want us all to believe. Key parts of this story could be missing, kinda like when you read a book. As you said Grey Knights wouldn't get involved with this sort of thing unless a Daemonic force was behind it and you're right. However things that you're missing is that this Inquisitor that's been dispatched to deal with the "Missing Lascannons" could be an acolyte being tested. His master could have seen the eventual turn of this guard regiment and dispatched one of his pupil's to deal with it, while secretly ordering Grey Knight forces to the site to ensure no screw ups along with the rest of his personal forces. Considering this is the Acolyte's test he could have been sent to the planet with bad intel on purpose, unbeknownst to him he's supposed to figure out and eliminate these traitor forces before it's too late.

Not saying this is the way it is but additional information along these lines would easily draw all the loose ends together and end the "This is beneath DH's" argument.
Also, after the game, find his mini case and dump the contents into a grinder/shredder and then put what's left into a shaker. It goes great on pasta, pizza, nachos, etc., just like all other forms of cheese. - xShaperx
Old 17 Feb 2006, 10:22   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

More possible hidden storyline:

The Grey Knights are already in the area, at the request of the Inquisitor, who is convinced that there is daemonic influence at work. A commissar, under stress from a lengthy campaign, snaps and plugs the Inquisitor (which is the hardest part to justify), and the Grey Knights assume that this must be the manifestation of Chaos that they were there to destroy.

It's still only marginally plausible, and it doesn't help that the piece of fiction involving Clytus is the most awkward part of the story, but it's among the better possible reasons for Grey Knights fighting Imperial Guard who aren't actually under the influence of Chaos. And if Squigs' army defeats that of his friend, he may have to face the real daemons in the near future, without the assistance of the Ordo Malleus...
Old 17 Feb 2006, 14:58   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I doubt those were his intentions at all honestly. And the simple fact is, this would be Ordo Hereticus territory for the most part.

As for results, this regiment would more likely find itself on the receiving end of 3 or 4 other regiments or normal Marines. or an orbital bombardment followed by units of Inquisitorial Storm Troopers.

The Grey Knights are the last line of defense. The Ordo Malleus does not use them unless the heat is on and noone else can do the job. If you read the novel Grey Knight you'll understand a tad better. They don't deploy their secret weapon because they "think" the Commissar is possessed. If they deployed the Grey Knights every time they had suspicions, they wouldn't be secret, totaly unkown to the rest of the Imperium. I'd say either leave to fluff at home, or add in specific intel about the Demonic being involved. Grey Knights don't go in without intel (which is what Inquisitors are for) or unless suddenly destruction on a truly hoorendous scale is about to break out. Like getting caught refueling when a tyranid splinter fleet shows up.

The Inquisition would launch an investigation of this matter, then take the Commissar alive if possible, after killing off the regiment with inducted troops and/or storm troopers, do a mock trial after using torture to make him confess to being a Heretic (under the careful touch of the
Inquisition, they all break sooner or later) to disgrace the Commissar, then torture and execute him.
Old 17 Feb 2006, 17:44   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

wow. I had not expected such a response! thank you guys.

yes there are some story bits missing, and I really liked some of the suggestions for filling them in. So I have pieced it together. I just wanted to make up a story behind the battle that we are going to play this weekend, because its fun to do that sort of thing.

this is hardly a work of literature, but it sums up why the GK would be fighting an extremely well armed guard regiment:

. Commissar Clytus is cut of from communications, out in the field during the last battle against Tau tanks (I stomped them flat btw). Upon return, our old hero never gets around to reporting a large surplus of munitions missing or investigating into the topic because he was exhausted. His Lieutennant, not knowing that the munitions were misapropriated, gleefully went about assigning more and more heavy weapons throughout the regiment while the Commissar slept.

Chaos attacked. (my previous 2 games have been against Tau, and then Chaos Marines on the same night) They had been hidden behind a moon away from imperial sensors and waiting for the Tau and the Humans to kill each other off so they could rush in and slaughter the survivors. They weren't picky which army remained, just some blood for the blood god and all that stuff.

SOooo, busy fighting chaos immediately after the Tau had been taught their lesson, the daemon hunters are on their way for obvious reasons since they do this kind of thing. An inquisitor and a retinue of knights who were closest in the sector made their way to the wartorn planet Buuh. Made way with much speed.

After the chaos marines are wiped out (yes I stomped them flat too. love those lascannons), Clytus finally has to answer for the missing munitions, since the Daemonhunter inquisitor is the most senior official on the planet, he conducts the hearing. Clytus flips out, he melon-pops an inquisitor for what he saw as incompetence. (Commissars who have seen years and years of battles and trials and executions probably start having that 'my authority is infinite I am right no matter what' attitude just like inquisitors.)

so the grey knights... being a space marine chapter, and full of their own wierd sense of righteousness... want some vengeance on the 'mere' commissar who killed one of the inquisition without having to wipe out an entire regiment. Besides, if news travelled that a member of the Commissariat had exerted authority over a member of the Inquisition, infighting would occur (and chaos would have its way after all as the arm of the imperium starts to question the brain of the imperium - or something like that) so they jump the commissar and his immediate retinue with a small strike force and plan on keeping the whole issue an unsolved mystery to the rest of the guard regiment.

that should pretty much excuse the odd twist in GK fighting loyal guards who have an awful overkill of heavy weapons. I dunno. I write a lot, perhaps I will flesh this story out, add lots of dialogue, and send it off to GW's black library people to give them some fresh ideas. call it "the big misunderstanding" or something.
Old 17 Feb 2006, 18:06   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

After fighting Chaos the Inquisition is there to make sure that its taint has not been left on the susceptible Guardsman. Loyal or not, its best to be sure. After interviewing the 'high-strung' Commissar the safest thing to do is wipe out the Guardsmen. Just to be sure.
Closed Thread