Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

my current guard army 1000pts...
Closed Thread
Old 15 Feb 2006, 01:35   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default my current guard army 1000pts...

Hey... this is what i currently own and is built... i just want some criticism to see what i should buy and in the mean time how should i play my friends. They have Tau, Necrons, Eldar, Chaos, and Tyranids. The tyranid player is the best one and he plays in very different ways every game. He sometimes has a shooty tyranid army wich is just plain scary. He also likes to assault people in the 2nd turn. He has way too many synapse creatures for me to take out. What should i do?

0 Choose Doctrines (HQ) @ 0 Pts
Allow Special Weapon Squads [0]
Allow StormTroopers [0]
Skills and Drills: Close Order Drill [0]
Skills and Drills: Die Hards [0]
Skills and Drills: Iron Discipline [0]

0 Command Platoon (HQ) @ 211 Pts

4 Command Squad @ [46] Pts
Lasguns (x4); Iron Discipline

1 Junior Officer @ [41] Pts
Bolt Pistol; Close combat Weapon

6 Anti Tank Squad #1 @ [95] Pts
Missile Launcher (x3); Lasguns

6 Special Weapons Teams #2 @ [70] Pts
Lasguns (x3); Sniper Rifle (x3); Die Hards

9 Storm Troopers (Elites) @ 120 Pts
Hellguns (x7); Plasma Gun (x2); Frag Grenades; Krak Grenades

1 Storm Trooper Sergeant @ [10] Pts
Close combat Weapon; HellPistol; Frag Grenades; Krak Grenades

9 Armoured Fist Squad (Troops) @ 178 Pts
Lascannon; Lasguns; Grenade Launcher

1 Sergeant @ [6] Pts
Laspistol and CCW

1 Chimera @ [85] Pts
Multi-Laser; Hull Heavy Bolter

0 Infantry Platoon (Troops) @ 211 Pts

4 Command Squad @ [45] Pts
Lasguns (x4); Iron Discipline

1 Junior Officer @ [40] Pts
Close combat Weapon; Laspistol

9 Infantry Squad @ [83] Pts
Heavy Bolter; Lasguns; Grenade Launcher; Die Hards

1 Sergeant @ [6] Pts
Laspistol and CCW

9 Infantry Squad @ [83] Pts
Heavy Bolter; Lasguns; Grenade Launcher; Die Hards

1 Sergeant @ [6] Pts
Laspistol and CCW

1 Basilisk (Heavy Support) @ 125 Pts
Earthshaker Cannon; Hull Heavy Bolter

1 Leman Russ Battle Tank (Heavy Support) @ 155 Pts
Battle Cannon; Hull Heavy Bolter; Heavy Bolter Sponsons

Models in Army: 65

Total Army Cost: 1000
Old 15 Feb 2006, 01:58   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: my current guard army 1000pts...

you have a couple of issues that I want to help you with if you care to hear my advice,
first, why die-hard's on a sniper team? they are not likely to be in close combat and if they are they will probably be dead shortly after. lose that, 5 extra points.

heck, why 'die-hards' at all...? it can be used in 'warrior weapons' armies, sort of, but is not very useful to normal guardsmen who's best idea is to stay as far as possible from the enemy and blow them up before they ever get into melee.

also... Iron Discipline on your commanding officer is really only useful if you use it to rally other squads. nobody cares too much about the 4 lasgunners hanging out with him rallying, but if you can rally a retreating heavy bolter team just at the right time, you can be nice and shooty. this takes voxcasters. if you dont want to shell out for the voxcasters, then don't give the CO that iron discipline.

you could save yourself 20 points by dropping the die-hards in a few squads and the utterly useless iron discipline on your junior officer - that can pay to deep strike your oh-so-effective plasma-gunning stroops - and leave enough points for a voxcaster in your Iron-D HQ, and a voxcaster for a squad he can rally (I suggest the armoured fist since they are the most utilitarian in your list - and will probably need to be redeployed a couple of times throughout the game)

Your stormies will be just fine once they drop, blow the crap out of their target, and get ripped to pieces in a turn or two after, slowing down the inevitable advance of the bad guys... who have to take that extra turn to deal with such an ugly threat at their backs.

Assume that they wont last very long and probably wont need the vox to regroup. Also, a stormtrooper SGt has the same Ld as an officer so the vox isn't as useful for them in that regard either.

if you want to be a bit more efficient, get rid of the extra points from the iron discipline JO and the die-hards on your snipers to deep strike your stormtroopers, and dump the other die hards for a couple of vox.

this of course is just a suggestion. (Heck give em all bolters for all I care)

good job with the Leman, that is just how I like them, but I go with the pintle stubber when I can spare a few points... 12 dice instead of 9 is always nice.
Old 29 Dec 2008, 18:04   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Akaiyou Send a message via MSN to Akaiyou Send a message via Yahoo to Akaiyou
Default Re: my current guard army 1000pts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gas19d
The tyranid player is the best one and he plays in very different ways every game. He sometimes has a shooty tyranid army wich is just plain scary. He also likes to assault people in the 2nd turn. He has way too many synapse creatures for me to take out. What should i do?
I'm sorry I ask that the mod smite me if they see fit but I just can't resist, guess I need the ego boost to inspire confidence that i'll finally end the ridiculous stalemate i've had versus gas19d guard when pitted against my chaos, necrons and orks.

Seeing this post just reminds me that I can always count on my Nids to win battles for me. After which there will be no more draws against my other armies either, brace yourself guardsman, your end is near.

EDIT - Don't revive dead threads, you have done it twice today and already know the rules. If you do it again you will lose a Karma point.