Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

stormtroopers vs. SM scouts
Closed Thread
Old 05 Feb 2006, 18:59   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to Pirate Send a message via Yahoo to Pirate
Default stormtroopers vs. SM scouts

Last night I played a 1000 pt games last night, and I fielded a squad of 8 stormtroopers with no special weapons. They eventually caught up to a ten man scout squad. My stormies wiped them out, only taking two casualties. I thought it was pretty funny.

Stormtroopers have more experience fluff wise don't they? I mean they train alot and SM scouts are only noobies. Although scouts cost more.... Who is better trained/equipped fluff wise?
Old 05 Feb 2006, 19:09   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau
Default Re: stormtroopers vs. SM scouts

Fluff-wise, the Scouts are PDF or whatever who recently got their genetic implants. they are now training to be more than human.

So Stormies are right now more experienced, but give the Scouts a few more years and they will wear power armor and be all a marine is... more than human.

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
Old 05 Feb 2006, 19:12   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechTau
Fluff-wise, the Scouts are PDF or whatever who recently got their genetic implants.
scouts would never have been PDF, unless the planet has pre-pubescent soldiers in its PDF force.

I've created a new Manga/ Anime series.

In the near-future, the French police pilot giant robot suits to keep their country safe; they are...

GENDARME WING
Old 05 Feb 2006, 19:15   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I disagree Cappie Whizz. Ragnar was about 18 when he got made a SW
Old 05 Feb 2006, 19:25   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

according to what?
I think he was about 14 or so, and bearing in mind that book's quite old now.

In the near-future, the French police pilot giant robot suits to keep their country safe; they are...

GENDARME WING
Old 05 Feb 2006, 20:01   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

space marine recruits would be a bit older than 14 since they would ahve to stand out from other fighters, which 14 year olds can't. but im not a marine man so im not well versed in teh fluff.

fluff wise stormtroopers are absolute hard-a**es(as ive said before). they train from kids on and always stay in the same squad so they fight their entire lives together. this leads to them fighting together as if they where one person, combine this with their adsolutly amazing train and sargeants that can wrestle 'ard boyz and you've got ourself one tough nut to crack.

scouts.....well they're jsut scouts, if better than most scouts. they do get bolters, which makes them a force to be reckoned with and get the marine implant things. but still, their SMurfs and that gives them a -1 on their cool roll.

Old 05 Feb 2006, 20:17   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

They both excel at different things. Scouts are citizens who have just been recruited, and proved nails enough to pass the trials and recieve the inplants. They arent very experienced (though moreso than a normal guardsman) but are far above storm troopers in strength and other physical factors. Stormtroopers are weaker, but far more experienced. They train alongside commisars, so fluff-wise they could be even more devoted than scouts.

But stormtroopers look so much cooler ;D
Old 09 Feb 2006, 05:35   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Allot depends on the chapter... Most chapters recruit from relatively backwards worlds but even then the prospective recruit has to catch the eye of a chaplain which means that individual has done something extremely brave and difficult.
Another thing to consider is how long the scouts have been part of a scout squad.
From the bits and pieces I've read there doesn't seem to be a set amount of time on how long someone is stuck in the "noobie" squad.

During there time leading up to becoming a scout the baby marine is trained, implanted with tactics/history/weapons use/anything else deemed needed via the mnemonic processor's, and implanted with some of the biological enhancements. Basically the scouts know as much if not more about combat as a veteran trooper but they have limited practical knowledge on implementing that knowledge, they're also wrestling with all that information psychologically.

In closing I'd say Scouts and Stormies are about equal in all regards, the stormies will have more "real" world experience on average but the scouts will be higher quality soldiers.
Also, after the game, find his mini case and dump the contents into a grinder/shredder and then put what's left into a shaker. It goes great on pasta, pizza, nachos, etc., just like all other forms of cheese. - xShaperx
Old 09 Feb 2006, 11:00   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elessar
space marine recruits would be a bit older than 14 since they would ahve to stand out from other fighters, which 14 year olds can't. but im not a marine man so im not well versed in teh fluff.
according to current fluff, adults can't take the marine implants. All the fluff, novels and short stories that I've read have marine recruits being just in double figures (never usually specified, but seems about 13-15).

GENDARME WING
Old 11 Feb 2006, 11:59   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

remember the timeline in 40k has lifespans of hundreds of years, so a 'new' scout may well have been the chief warrior from his tribe or most promising young sergeant in a local army. life starts over when you get those implants (hmmm. that sounds bad.), so they may well be experienced, just not experienced as space marines. Still, I think stormtroopers have the true 'experience' of fighting together as a cohesive unit far beyond the scouts, who are adjusting to their awkward new augmentations, and new lifestyles as warrior-monk-ish zealots.