Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Kasrkin or Ogryns ?
Closed Thread
Old 04 Feb 2006, 22:48   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Kasrkin or Ogryns ?

I've currently got a 400pt list put together (school club limits us to 400 points), and I've already got the models, and surplus etc.

What I want to know is whether I should invest in some Kasrkin or Ogryns to follow it up ?
The Kasrkin (apart from being ace models) would give me a little flexibility, with a superior stat line/equipment list compared to regular Guardsmen. They would also allow me to change my tactics and options a little in games.

The Ogryns however would provide a solid unit (which I am lacking), which can take on most troops and even some Elites. They would (obviously) come in smaller numbers, but would have more staying power compared to the Kasrkin, though would simply be a 'Death or Glory' unit.

Money is not an option, and as I don't know any other experienced Guard players I thought I'd pick your brains instead =)
Old 04 Feb 2006, 23:04   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar
Default Re: Kasrkin or Ogryns ?

well since your playing combat patrols(im guessing since you said 400 points) you can't use ogryns. since they ahve three wounds your not allowed to take them in a combat patrol. but even if you could it would depend on what else you ahve in your army.(personally i would got with infiltrating stormtroopers one way or another)

Old 04 Feb 2006, 23:08   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

It would also depend upon what sorts of armies your going to face. Tyranids with lots of Gaunts, take the AP5 wielding hellguns over the ripper guns armed guys, if there's say more Monsterous creatures in your regular Tyranid opponents (if you have them that is) then Ogryns would be better since you would have a solid unit to counter-attack with.

It would also depend upon your list as well, like Elessar said

I personally would take Ogyryns over Storms. But thats me lol.
Old 04 Feb 2006, 23:11   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elessar
well since your playing combat patrols(im guessing since you said 400 points) you can't use ogryns. since they ahve three wounds your not allowed to take them in a combat patrol. but even if you could it would depend on what else you ahve in your army.(personally i would got with infiltrating stormtroopers one way or another)
These would be used in larger games, as I couldn't fit them in to me 4000pt list.

My army comprises of (in a nutshell)

Junior Officer, with Command Squad (Medic & Psyker)
They are used to Support my Armoured Fist Squad (see below)

Independant Commissar (Artificer Armour)
He stays with the AF Squad, and supplies the edge in combat.

Veteran Squad (Meltagun, Plasma Gun, V. Sergeant with Bolter)
Their job is to stay within shooting distance and simply ripd fire anything my AF Squad wants to assault.

Armoured Fist Squad (Chimera, V. Sergeant)
They wait for the right moment (Turn 1 :P) before rushing forward, disembarking and attacking the taret they have the most chance of beating. The Chimera is happy to Tank Shock anything in range.

(Note that only 1 HQ and 1 Troops choice is necessary for these games)

As you can see my tactics are minimal and simple, but seem to work.

Should I take the Ogryns they would support the Command Squad / AF Squad.
Should I take the Kasrkin they would have a similar role to the Vets, only they would actually try to get into combat.

EDIT for Tyross's post:
The other armies are mainly Necron, Marine (loyalist & traitor), 'Nid or Tau.
Old 04 Feb 2006, 23:15   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Are you planning on fielding any special weapons in the Storms?
Old 04 Feb 2006, 23:19   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer Tyross
Are you planning on fielding any special weapons in the Storms?
Chances are I'd equip them with either a flamer or a grenade launcher (both relatively cheap, both effective when used properly)
Old 04 Feb 2006, 23:24   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

well first of all your commissar can't take artificer armour. no one in the guard can(carapace is the best we can manage). you seem to have an extremely aggressive IG army so i think ogryns would suit yout style of play better. personally i would go with kasrkin, and get an infantry platoon to sit back and shoot.

P.S. your veterans will probably work better with either meltguns or plasma guns, but not both.

Old 04 Feb 2006, 23:27   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elessar
well first of all your commissar can't take artificer armour. no one in the guard can(carapace is the best we can manage). you seem to have an extremely aggressive IG army so i think ogryns would suit yout style of play better. personally i would go with kasrkin, and get an infantry platoon to sit back and shoot.

P.S. your veterans will probably work better with either meltguns or plasma guns, but not both.
Oops, mistake, that's what I meant to say :P

I know that taking the meltagun was a bad idea, but it was the list I submitted, so it's final for a while. The meltagun has only been fired once or twice so far, so chances are I'll be ditching that at the first opportunity, and using the points somewhere else.

I was orignially more inclined to take the Orgryns, because their stat lines are impressive against my Guardsmen, who have a habit of keeing over at the first sign of a gun barrel :P
Old 04 Feb 2006, 23:32   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

the're only problem is they usualy get eaten up by strength 8 weapons that instant kill them. i dont use them often but if you want to you ahve to put them in a chimera, no bones bones about it.

Old 04 Feb 2006, 23:44   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

What type of battlefields do you play on? Is there much solid cover to hide them behind?

PS. I'm just trying to get as much info so that we can advice you better.
Closed Thread