Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Modifying Tanks
Closed Thread
Old 03 Feb 2006, 05:19   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Modifying Tanks

I was just noticing that the hellfire tank, basilisk and the chimera all use the identical body. The basilisk has two sprues for 12 dollars, and the hellfire has 1 sprue that differentiates the three. The tanks all use the same body sprues and have just a few parts different. Do any of you have experience using magnets to allow for more flexibility in tank options?
Old 03 Feb 2006, 06:57   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar
Default Re: Modifying Tanks

by hellfire im guessing you mean hellhoung, right? it doesn't actually have an extra sprue, it is simply a chimera with a few extra metal bits(turret top, turret sides, flamer, fuel tanks) this tank is easy to to pass off as a chimera, what you do is place a magnet under the fireports where the lasguns/fueltanks should be. the cut off the three bits at the bottom of the fuel tank and place magnets there. then cut of about 3/4s of the lasguns pivoting balls, and you can add little rectangular shaped magnets, that clip right into the ports. this way you can have a hellhound or switch it for a chimera with a heavy flamer turret.

im not sure how to convert the basilisk, since i dont actually have one(4 regiments and an armore't div. and i still haven't found a use for it) but i guess you could assemble the bottom bit and top bit of the chimera separatly, then assemble the fireing platform without actually glueing it on, the you could swap the tops as needs be.

Old 03 Feb 2006, 08:03   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Yes, the whole basilisk firing platform can just slide right in from the rear (ummm) using the grooves on the sides of the track parts....i actually leave it unglued so that i can seperate it for transport, since it has the highest height profile of all the IG tanks. I suppose you could just tack on a chimera roof with all the attached bits and all.
Old 04 Feb 2006, 12:49   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

so does the basilisk box set actually come with a full chimera + basilisk bits like the hell hound or are certain sprues missing

Old 04 Feb 2006, 19:44   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I think certain sprues are missing, but i cant remeber off the top of my head. I do remember that when i later bought my first chimera, it was the first chimera turret i had possessed. Basically you could buy one kit or the other + another sprue and basically have both. The easiest thing though, would be switching between a griffon and a basilisk.
Old 04 Feb 2006, 19:55   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Pretty much the same with the Leman Russes,all you would really need a spare Turret to represent the various types of Leman Russ.
Old 04 Feb 2006, 22:26   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to gundamfan

I like how the vehicles are all similar, then conversions like this are easy. I think they leave the Chimera turret sprues out of the Basilisk box, replacing it with the Earthshaker sprue. To have it be interchangeable, you would merely need to buy the Chimera turret sprue.
Old 04 Feb 2006, 22:34   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

well yes for that i can jsut buy a chimera sprue. what i was hoping was to buy a basilisk and use it as a chimera. its only an extra 2 and i can just change it into a basilisk if i ever need one.(or use the cannon for a conversion)

Old 05 Feb 2006, 05:04   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

You see the part of the hull in front of the gun on the basilisk? well, the chimera hull overlaps it. So the chimera piece would be a hull from the back, with a "lip" that covers the top of the front. So basically your basilisk will look like this << ,,,,,[[[ >> and your chimera add-on will look like this << [[[[[''' >> If that makes any sense. Just slide the earthshaker platform out of the grooves and place the chimera hull on top.
Old 05 Feb 2006, 17:31   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

On a slightly different note, I've been toying with the idea of building a Leman Russ on a Chimera hull, for a lower-slung, speedier look. I'm thinking:

Leave off the lasguns

Replace the turret with the Russ turret (or even the Predator turret, which looks dead sexy)

Leave off the popout sponson boxes, and find a spot for the Russ sponson mounts

Anybody ever consider something like this? How'd it work? Are there tourney-legal issues with such a conversion, do you suppose?
Closed Thread