Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Storm Troopers Vs. Space Marines
Closed Thread
Old 03 Feb 2006, 00:57   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Storm Troopers Vs. Space Marines

Can you discuss what makes a storm trooper better than a standard marine?
Is the hellgun any different than a bolter?
Old 03 Feb 2006, 01:18   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to legio mortis
Default Re: Storm Troopers Vs. Space Marines

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffo
Can you discuss what makes a storm trooper better than a standard marine?
Is the hellgun any different than a bolter?
The storm trooper is inferior in every way to a space marine.

The hellgun is merely a souped up lasgun, while a bolter shoots mini depleted-uranium RPGs.
But seriously, a Guardsman, I'm willing to bet, could a) outshoot me, b) give me the beating of my life, and c) shove more squad-based tactics down my throat than I'd ever care to digest. Guard are hard, hard men. Whether or not GW's inconsistent, Marine-worshipping fluff keeps with that, mkay?

Real men fight in tanks!

sig by Kais

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox
Legio why do I always imagine you shouting when I read your posts? :P
Old 03 Feb 2006, 02:25   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Without discussing the actual point costs, you can get a squad of 10 Storm Troopers for pretty cheap. Cheaper than a squad of marines.
Old 03 Feb 2006, 02:28   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Storm troopers can deep-strike or infiltrate, which most space marines can't. This might not be through superior skill, though - it might just be that they're not clumping around in a great big clumsy suit of power armour.
Old 03 Feb 2006, 02:30   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Of course. Everything in the game is designed to cost what its worth. SM are better, so they cost more points.

Storm Troopers do have targeters, a handy peice of equipment, but they aren't better, in my opinion, than a marine. Definately mot fluff-wise, either.

But the way the game is designed, if you have 200 point of Stormtroopers, and 200 points of Marines, and the dice are equal, odds are, you'll tie. Of course, dice usaully are random, so a grot army could kill an eldar army, but its unlikely.

[img width=650 height=288]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a99/GeneralStankov/finalcopy.jpg[/img]
Old 03 Feb 2006, 03:22   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Cmdr. Stankov
But the way the game is designed, if you have 200 point of Stormtroopers, and 200 points of Marines, and the dice are equal, odds are, you'll tie.
On average, for equal points of basic marines with bolters and basic stormtroopers with hellguns:

200 points of marines rapid-firing will kill 59 points' worth of stormtroopers.
200 points of stormtroopers rapid-firing will kill 44 points' worth of marines.

In close combat, assuming no one charged:

200 points of marines will kill 30 points' worth of stormtroopers.
200 points of stormtroopers will kill 17 points' worth of marines.

The other relevant factor is morale, because if one side breaks and flees the other doesn't have to kill all of them. However, marines and stormtroopers have the same basic leadership, and marines additionally benefit from the "...And They Shall Know No Incoming Fire Fear" special rule.

So - for equal points, marines whup stormtroopers in the game. If you want a basic troop type that can beat marines (with equal points), try fire warriors or sisters of battle in a shoot-out, or genestealers or slugga boyz in assault. Don't look to stormtroopers.
Old 03 Feb 2006, 05:23   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

stroops are better because they are guard. marines are nice because they fight better in cc, have more squad options, and have that big ol' save and T4 thing which is well worth the extra couple of points difference. but that's why stroops are better because they're guard. marines are easy.

LtCom Stankov posted that everything in the game is worth its points. This is not true, and I don't believe anybody would pick a hellhound or a chim over an eldar avatar or a ctaan lord or a carnifex in a 1 on 1 fight. there is a third factor involved. army list restrictions.

certain army lists have huge advantages over other army lists for the same amount of points. I have talked to the guys from GW about this before at a con, and they said that they don't just look at point for point effectiveness for figures any more like they did back in RogueT (oohhh. how I miss my teleporting assassin with 2 vortex grenades and a displacer field), but they try to keep things like force organization, limitations, options in mind when assigning points values. everybody gives us guard a hard time because we get lots of cheap heavy weapons and the Leman, but they dont stop to think about how marines and chaos can make indestructable armies of super-powered buttkickers so we need those HWs and Lemans to counter that.

For instance: their missile launchers cost more than ours. this is because they are harder to kill, hit better, and dont break as often, besides they have a lot more flexibility in the army supporting those missile launchers than we do and can protect them better tactically. you have to look at the big picture.

oh yeah... stormtroopers are guard and therefore earn you some cool points
Old 03 Feb 2006, 06:51   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I like storm troopers, they can take two special weapos.

All you marine fanboys can choke on my plasma, 2 from the sarge's plasma pistol, 4 from two plasma riffles.

Come on, I dare you to come within 12" of me. >
Old 03 Feb 2006, 07:04   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

Quote:
Originally Posted by squigs for dinner
stroops are better because they are guard.
and its as simple as that my friends. storm troopers are better than marines because they are the guards ultimite hard-a**es. stormtroopers eat marines for breakfast.

Old 03 Feb 2006, 07:51   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

The stormtrooper models are also far superior, in my honest opinion. The only advantage to a tac squad is that its easy plastic. Heck, ever since the new codex, its really easy to field a full marine army with no metal whatsoever. However, as cool as a custom chapter marine squad stomping out of a rhino can be, give me storm troopers rappelling out of a valkyrie any day ;D.