Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Hmm What to buy?
Closed Thread
Old 03 Feb 2006, 00:45   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Hmm What to buy?

Hey i'm thinking about playing imperial so what should I buy after i get my codex like what box of troops and which HQ is a good choice?
and don't tell me to buy the codex and then choose from there just give me some ideas if you don't want to then...well don't post.
Old 03 Feb 2006, 03:09   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Hmm What to buy?

cadian battleforce and a box of extra plastic cadians and a chimera will get you up and running pretty well. I am not sure if GW still makes a catachan battleforce box for if you prefer that look. I personally think that Cadians are much more standard looking and therefore more flexible to design whatever kind of fluff around as you like. tack on extra lemans or more of those lil sets of 20 infantry as your budget allows, and weapon teams.

By basing right and converting a bit you can turn every heavy weapons team box into 3 heavy weapons squads. a shoulder mounted missile launcher on an individual based figure, a tripod with a removeable heavybolter/autocan/lascan, and a mortar on a separate base, so having a few extra plastic grunts to turn into ammo bearers is always nice.

The hardest thing about guard is the command structure. just to field a legal army you'll need LOTS of lasgunners and a couple of command models that are pretty simple to convert. (I use leman russ tank commander heads, sometimes 'where's my helmet?' sarge heads.

use your extra bits n pieces from heavy weapon squad in the box set to make some extra heavy weapon teams using regular bases for your mortars and individual missile launchers. this can give you even more flexibility, the extra 20 cadians can also form special weapons teams, command squads, and switchable weapon options. More flexibility.

at the bare minimum, to field a legal army you will need 40 models and a chimera (15 if you get some stormtroopers and use the 'grenadier' doctrine but i think 20 plastic guard is cheaper to buy and more effective and malleable than 5 metal stormtroopers - maybe thats just me)

I hope this helps.

definitely read the codex and design your army as you buy and build your models, so you you don't end up doing what I did and having an army that was illegal because it was short a couple of lasgunners.
Old 03 Feb 2006, 03:38   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff

Yes the catachan battle force is still avalible.

If you can pick it up, grab the invasion force. Approx 1000points of models (with wargear) and a great starter.
other wise listen to squigs and you'll do fine.
Old 03 Feb 2006, 07:08   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

depends on home much money your going to spend. the cadian starter set is a great box, but useless as a starter. you get half a troop choice and loads of hevay support. the cadian starter set is more for when you have a basic guard army and want to beef it up. i myself have bought that set about 5 times simply becuase you can never have to many cadians and heavy weapons, and the russes all go into my armoured company.

Old 03 Feb 2006, 07:38   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daco
Hey i'm thinking about playing imperial so what should I buy after i get my codex like what box of troops and which HQ is a good choice?
and don't tell me to buy the codex and then choose from there just give me some ideas if you don't want to then...well don't post.
If you bothered to read the Codex, you'd know your choice of HQ is limited to one: The CO.

Considering you've been warned for asking vague, near-pointless topics already, you were a bloody idiot to do it again.

You were warned my be, personally, that your low-quality posts would not be tolerated here. As you have given no content as to what kind of force you seek, or even what model range you wish to use, this topic is under lockdown, pending commissariat review. Summary discipline may follow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Closed Thread