Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Ke'lshan Gue'vessa - First go at a themed guard army
Closed Thread
Old 31 Jan 2006, 23:20   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Ke'lshan Gue'vessa - First go at a themed guard army

I'm planning a Tau themed IG army, using a mix of Tau and guard parts. My general theme is one of a human auxillery army (- 2nd generation after their descendants were stranded by the Damocles Crusade. Born and raised as part of the Tau empire). Being better at close quarters than the Tau they are used in Urban combat where the fighting tends to be more confined and better suited to human physiology. Improved Camoflage technology, training and armour have been provided by the Tau to allow the humans to better accomplish their role and serve the greater good.

Although still not trusted with the Tau's more advanced weaponry the Gue'Vessa are carving out a bloody reputation for themselves amongst the forces of the Tau empire.

Doctrines:
Veterans,
Light Infantry,
Grenadiers,
Special equipment - camelioline
Special equipment - Carapace armour

HQ

Command Platoon: LI, Chamelioline.

Senior officer - plasma pistol,
Medic,
3* Plama guns,

AT squad - Missile launchers
AT squad - Missile launchers

Elites

Chamelioline
Carapace armour

10 * hardened vets - 3* plasma + plasma pistol - 150

Chamelioline
Carapace armour

10 * hardened vets - 3* plasma + plasma pistol - 150

Troops

Chamelioline,
10* storm troopers - 2 plasma guns + plasma pistol - 140

Chamelioline,
10* storm troopers - 2 plasma guns + plasma pistol - 140

Fast attack

Hellhound + smoke - 118

Hellhound + smoke - 118

Heavy support

Demolisher - LC, EA, smoke + track guards - 182

Demolisher - LC, EA, smoke + track guards - 182

In built up areas all infantry have a 3+ cover save, there are 5 squads of infiltrators to represent the unit's familiarity with the urban battlefield and ability to use tunnels and passageways to make the most out of the terrain and set up ambushes. All tanks have short ranged, powerful weaponry - much better in dense terrain, and are heavilly armoured on the sides and front for close-in fighting. Most of the infantry has carapce armour which also helps with overheats from plasma. Overall it's a pretty elite force, fairly low on nos (For guard) each trooper getting maximum protection from his gear, ready to do battle for the greater good.

I'm still new to guard (Only got the dex yesterday) so there may be some mistakes. If you spot any, don't be too harsh on a fellow gamer, although any advice on how to rectify said mistakes (Should there be any) would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.
Old 31 Jan 2006, 23:47   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Ke'lshan Gue'vessa - First go at a themed guard army

I like the list and though it may be legal it sort of seems unfluffy in my opinion. Carapace armor is hard rigid plates that are generally focussed to the front as this is where the most likely attack would come from. They are not very flexible (as that would reduce their damage resistance) and rather bulky and heavier then flak. The cloaks I think would look funny on them as they would most likely catch it and tear it on their gear or find it got in the way more then it helped.

The hellhounds are nice, I use two myself but I don't think smoke launchers are worth the points for this type of vehicle. This is a tank that I think should be firing every turn taking advantage of your 24" range. If you aren't shooting you are wasting 115 pts. If you are shaken so that you cannot shoot I would rather zoom it 12" to another location then pop smoke but to each their own.

The plasma is always nice, 3+ armies will hate ya but with so many you may be cooking off more often then you think. 13 shots at 24" means about 2-3 1's and only a 50% chance of saving the wound. At rapid fire range you have 26 shots with an average of 4-6 1's with a 50% chance. What I see happening is that you will be fine but when they start cooking they will probably cook in a large group

2 Demolishers are tough but I would drop the smoke launchers and track guards again. Usually they don't make their points on these tanks from what I have seen though I am only new to 40k. If your demolisher is smoked then you are losing 150+ pts that turn. If you are immobilized most boards are 48" in length, so unless they are hugging their deployment zone you should still be able to lay a pounding. Maybe take plasma cannon sponsons. No overheat and you get 2 small blast template shots a turn.

The only thing I see lacking is long range anti-tank other then the 2 lascannons so you might find your demolishers being outranged. You might be able to offset your anti-tank deficiet with a couple melta-guns in the vet squads since they infiltrate and starting 18" away you move 6" you would have 4 shots at 12". Just my thoughts but I like the overall sewer rat theme
Old 01 Feb 2006, 00:34   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Ahh, but the camelioline is built into the armour - utilising a version of Tau stealth technology (Though of everything ;D fluff wise)

I've got 6 missile launchers and 2 demolisher cannons for AT - I hope that this'll be enough.

I'm a bit worried about cooking off as well :-\ Nothing can really be done about it though. I've done my best to reduce it's effect with the carapace.

Smokes are there in case i get stunned/shaken, it'll just make them a bit more survivable if they can't fire.

The track guards are quite fluffy tracks being the most vulnerable area - especially in a built up area.

It's also quite devious - opponent scores glancing hit on AV 14 vehicle, immobilises it, yay! half VPs, wait a minute i have track guards - rolls 4+, opponent now gains no VPs, EA then downgrades to crew shaken - demolisher runs off 12". Opponent swears. ;D

Glad you approve of the idea! This project is going to be a long and expensive one - lots of parts needed but i'm really looking forward to getting it started.
Old 01 Feb 2006, 01:34   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

First, every unit in the army has to be equiped with carapace armor. And I'm pretty sure it's the same with cameoline. Also, storm troopers can't take cameoline as they are not guard infantry. Light Infantry also can't be combined with carapace armor.

Where are you getting the plasma pistol in the storm trooper squads? You need to get a veteran seargent first.

Also, plasma doesn't make a whole lot of sense in an urban warfare unit, as its effectiveness drops sharply when the enemy is in cover. I'd suggest a few flamers. I personally like running three flamers and a medic in the Command Squad of my own Gue'vassa army, it gives me an explanation for why the commander has surrounded himself with the worst shots in the regiment (the rest of the troops are grenadiers and vets).

For reference, here is the Gue'vassa army that I run
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=17509.0
Old 01 Feb 2006, 10:30   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander_Vimes
First, every unit in the army has to be equiped with carapace armor. And I'm pretty sure it's the same with cameoline.
They are, except those that are not eligible for it - i.e. the LI. All the models that can have them, do have them.

Quote:
Also, storm troopers can't take cameoline as they are not guard infantry.
So are they vehicles then?

Quote:
Where are you getting the plasma pistol in the storm trooper squads? You need to get a veteran seargent first.
Yeah i know, my bad. Will be rectified soon.

Quote:
Also, plasma doesn't make a whole lot of sense in an urban warfare unit, as its effectiveness drops sharply when the enemy is in cover.
I should have most of the cover. Plasma throws out a much greater rate of fire + i do want the army to be reasonably effective. Even reducing MEQs to a 4+ save is a bonus.

Old 01 Feb 2006, 11:01   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Quote:
Also, storm troopers can't take cameoline as they are not guard infantry.
So are they vehicles then?
Apologies, just spoted the paragraph about guard infantry on page 55.

It's like they're deliberatly trying to make this hard! :
Old 01 Feb 2006, 13:15   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by stompzilla
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander_Vimes
First, every unit in the army has to be equiped with carapace armor. And I'm pretty sure it's the same with cameoline.
They are, except those that are not eligible for it - i.e. the LI. All the models that can have them, do have them.
The phrasing of the codex is unfortunately ambiguous here. It says that Light Infantry and Carapace Armour may not be combined - but it doesn't explicitly say whether that means that the two doctrines may not both be chosen, or that the two doctrines cannot both apply to the same unit. There are multiple interpretations of that second possibility, too - perhaps both doctrines can be taken, but the application of carapace armour to all available models leaves you without any units that can be made into light infantry. If so, then you can still use both if you apply carapace armour only to your rough-riders (which is specifically allowed).

The interpretation I seem to recall reading is that you cannot take both doctrines in any case, but I don't know how authoritative that is. The FAQ isn't helpful, either.

On another note - stompzilla, you should take another look at the codex entry on track guards. They don't work in conjunction with extra armour in the way you seem to think they do.
Old 01 Feb 2006, 13:21   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Ahhh, yes i see.

Ok i've ammended things slightly:

HQ

Command Platoon: LI, Chamelioline.

Senior officer - plasma pistol,
Medic,
3* melta guns,

AT squad - Missile launchers (*3)
AT squad - Missile launchers (*3)