Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

transport question
Closed Thread
Old 31 Jan 2006, 20:26   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default transport question

Greetings Commanders!
I have a question regarding how infantry Gaurd get to a planet surface from orbit. Space Marines have Thunderhawks and Drop Pods, Tau have Manta's and Elysian drop troops have Valkyries I believe but how do other Guardsmen get to the planet surface? I don't think (Imperial Navy) transports are designed to enter and exit the atmosphere so how does the Imperial Guard get their equipment to the planet?
Any idea's?
Old 31 Jan 2006, 20:47   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: transport question

Grav chutes transport them from a ship to the surface. It explains under the Drop Troops doctrine.

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Enge(spc)
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Old 31 Jan 2006, 20:55   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Right Commissar thats the Elysian drop troops...what about the rest of the types of Guardsmen?
Old 31 Jan 2006, 20:58   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Since Last Chancers also use grav chutes, I don't think Elysians are the only ones to use grav chutes.

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Enge(spc)
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Old 31 Jan 2006, 21:04   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

i think the grav chute thing is only for the (supposedly) rare drop troop regiments. most of them fly in on enormous transport ships, spend days and days unloading by the thousands, reorganizing, etc. then the big behemoths fly off and leave the gigantic might of the imperium to fend for themselves, waiting in orbit to exterminate the entire planet if the campaign fails.

Some of the Tanith Ghost stories have chapters where the command staff sits and watches and waits and discuss grand scale strategy while division after division of various guard regiments unload and assemble and figure out who is best suited to what part of the campaign (armor, light inf, heavy, useless, etc.).

btw i LOVE the bubbles icon. go trailer park boys!

In "15 hours" they dumped them off by the hundreds in huge dropships which may or may not crash upon landing, at which point the survivors were supposed to move to join with the rest of the force already deployed there if they could locate and reach them. They dont have small striker dropship/gunship things like the marines with their t-hawks, they come by thousands, slow, unwieldy, but with a lot of numbers and more waiting in orbit.
Old 31 Jan 2006, 21:39   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

they use smaller cargo ships. usually ships that are used to ferry trade goods or supplies form surface to bigger ships in orbit. many navy transport ships also come with landers. these are bascily a cockpit, an engine and then a big box for troops and stuff. this is for landing on friendly areas, if they are to land dirrectly into combat they usually use things such as aquilas or a variant. these are exactly like the bigger ships that are used to ferry stuff around, but much smaller and faster(http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/acatalog...L_NAVY_45.html)

grav chutes are only used by extremely well trained and orgnaized reigments. valkyries and vultures are rather rare so most regiments dont have access to them to land the entire reigment.

Old 31 Jan 2006, 23:50   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Guard do have dropships. I remember reading it somewhere either in a book clip or novel. This guardsman and his regiment arrive on some world and refers to the dropships as "lighters". Lightly armed and armored troop transports. Each one carries 200 guardsmen and something like 4 Leman Russes
Old 01 Feb 2006, 00:25   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Aun’o Tash’var Shin’jin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omen
and Elysian drop troops have Valkyries
Actually Valkyries cannot operate in "void" environment, they need atmosphere to move, so no, not drop ships.

Arvus Lighters are for small scale battles, (see forgeworld) and bigger Lighters (basically the WH40k "freighter").
Eidt by JD: I dunno how you managed to read it after the changes FT
Edit by AC: JD you've spelt edit incorrectly...
Edit by WG: I just wanted to be part of the moment. :P
Old 01 Feb 2006, 13:24   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

So there is no definative 'landing craft' offered by GW for the transporting of company sized groups of Guardsmen...the main link between space and the planet surface is basically an unknown? I'm reading the Taros Campaign right now and found a similar pattern...it talks about transports and heavy transports and then the regiments board 'landing craft' to get to the surface of Taros. I know these things must be huge as in too huge to represent with say a FW model, but you'd think GW would give these landing crafts a name, some armaments some stats of some sort! You could base an entire campaign around finding one thats strayed off course in enemy territory or crash landed and now the survivors must fight their way back to their own lines etc.
Old 01 Feb 2006, 14:48   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

in Sabbat Martyr by Dan Abnett they talk about the Tanith 1st basicly highjacking a few of their own drop ships, each carrying a platoon or two, and landing them in the middle of a fire fight, then the transports trying to lift off but taking apounding as the Ghosts, filling the com channels with cries of "Men of Tanith..*static*..to live forever!" and chasing the blood pact off in a hail of Las and tread fethers. (missile launchers) So indeed they do have Transports, but I see them as being almost entirely for transporting into friendly areas. Gaunt was not pleased by Corbec's show of intiative at first.