Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

(1k Army list) - Don't know which figures to buy
Closed Thread
Old 29 Jan 2006, 04:43   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default (1k Army list) - Don't know which figures to buy

Army list posted below, along with questions.
Old 29 Jan 2006, 14:57   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Making new army, don't know what to buy

I'm not sure if you're still looking for help, but a battleforce is always a good place to start.

I've created a new Manga/ Anime series.

In the near-future, the French police pilot giant robot suits to keep their country safe; they are...

GENDARME WING
Old 29 Jan 2006, 17:45   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I still have a few questions.
1. If I get a junior officer in my command squad, which troops do I buy if they all have laspistols. Do I need to buy 3 of the following:
http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefr...166&orignav=10
2. How do I make sure I dont buy a completely gimped army? So far I have a fairly heavy weapons oriented army that I slightly modified from another army post I saw somewhere.
3. In the battle force box set, I see two sets of 10 guards, heavy weapons and a tank. This doesn't seem to fulfill all the basic requirements of a force (no HQ units). Even if I did have HQ units, would I need to have 2 sets of 10 guards to fill one troop selection per command squad?

Thanks in advance for any help.
EDIT: Below is my Army List. I am interested in a very heavy weapons oriented squad, but I don't want to be left out of games that have specific objectives, like capturing tokens or capture and hold etc..

Junior Officer+CC+Laspistol

Anti Tank Support Squad
3 Crews with Lascannons

Anti-tank Support Sqaud
3 Crews with Missile Launchers

Fire Support Squad
3 crews with autocannons

Mortar Support Squad
3 Crews with Mortars

TROOPS
Junior Officer+CC+ Laspistol

Infantry Squad+Missile Launcher

Infantry Squad+Missile Launcher

Armored fist +Melta Gun inside a Chimera:
Chimera+2 Heavy Flamers+Smoke Launcher

Storm Troopers+2 Plasma Guns

LEMAN+Lascannon

Total Cost: 993
Old 29 Jan 2006, 18:11   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to wonderboy

1) if you read the codex, it tells you that you need two squads and a command squad for one troop selection. all you really need is another box of troops. the battle force is a neat place to start, but it doesnt give you everything. as for your hq squad, you can give them a las gun if you so desire.however, you will find that you have some left over bits to give them the pistol and ccw.

2) if you do decide to get lots of HW teams, your army wont move very fast, but it will be ablr to stop many opponents in their tracks. i tend to stray from the lascannon, and usually go after the missile launcher and autocannon, both of which are a little more versitile. the heavy bolter is definately the most cost efficient weapin, and will put a serious hurting on any army. any way you choose to go, only complete idiots can make a guard army that is hindered by the selections of their army. playing the army, however,is a different story. with lots of HW, your job is to sit and shoot.

3) yes you do. buy another box of troops and you should be set.and from there, you can alter your army as you see fit. as for the hq needing troops, buy some SW blister packs. you may not want them in your HQ, but you will want them in your troop chouces(unless you are using the flamers or the GL. melta gins and plasma guns are effective in their own spheres. then you swich the SW guy for a basic trooper and send him to the HQ. or yoy dont do that and buy another box of toops and send some to the HQ, and use the rest as leftovers (remenant squads.

2000 points
1500 points
my army lists.
Old 29 Jan 2006, 18:29   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

To field the army in my list I was looking at buying the following:
1 Cadian Box Set
3 Heavy Weapons Support Box Sets
1 Cadian Kasrkin Squad
5 Cadian Imperial Guard Lieutenant (2 random models)
1 Imperial Guard and Chimera

Old 29 Jan 2006, 18:49   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to wonderboy

why so many lieutenants?

i think you still may need some more troops, but since you have yet to post a list, there isnt much i can do to help

also i assume that by HW box set, you mean the squad. be sure to use every weapon in the set. you may want to use a different weapon in a list, so its good to make every weapon in the box.

2000 points
1500 points
my army lists.
Old 29 Jan 2006, 22:12   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

The list is posted above. Please read the whole thread. The lieutenants are one of the problems I am facing. A command squad does not appear to be something you can buy, without buying bunch of lieutenants. Which figures do I buy to get a command squad of (5) with a junior officer and all with laspistols?
Certainly its not:
http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefr...164&orignav=10
So it makes sense that it would be 3 (or 5 if you have two HQ squads) of:
http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefr...166&orignav=10

My second list, an alternative, to try to make me more competitive when its not just a stand and shoot scenario is as follows:

Junior Officer w/ CC + laspistols

Anti-tank Support Sqaud: 3 Crews with Missile Launchers

Fire Support Squad: 3 crews with heavy bolter

Infantry Squad + Heavy Bolter
Infantry Squad + Missile Launcher

Armored Fist+Melta Gun in a Chimera:
Chimera
2 Heavy Flamers
Smoke Launcher

Storm Troopers
Deep Strike
3 Melta Bombs
2 Plasma Guns

Sentinel + AutoCannon

Sentinel + AutoCannon

LEMAN
Lascannon

Basilisk
Indirect Fire

Total Points: 985

This is ALOT fewer heavy weapons, but allows me to drop and kill a tank (stormtroopers), hit any specific capture/hold locations quickly with sentinels and also provide some good covering fire/anti troop guys.

I am open to thoughts on both lists (see above for more heavy oriented list). This alt list also only has 57 troops, instead of 75. (114 hours Vs. 150 hours)
Old 29 Jan 2006, 23:00   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: (1k Army list) - Don't know which figures to buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffo
The list is posted above. Please read the whole thread. The lieutenants are one of the problems I am facing. A command squad does not appear to be something you can buy, without buying bunch of lieutenants. Which figures do I buy to get a command squad of (5) with a junior officer and all with laspistols?
Don't know if this is any use but for my command squad armed with close combat weapons, I just used the normal box. There are one pair of close combat arms for every 5 guys. You need at least 2 boxes of guys (40) to fill troop options, so that is 8 sets of CCW's. Even if you give all your sergeants in squads pistols and swords (I dont, I give lasgun to maximise squad firepower, better an extra shot than an extra attack, to differentiate sergeants I give them bearded heads from a Mordheim sprue) you should still have 4 sets spare, enough for the four guys in the command squad and cheaper than four officer models. Plus you can make the arms go further by mixing in other arms like the grenade arm etc.

Hope that helps and I understood your post correctly.
Old 29 Jan 2006, 23:15   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Yes. Thank you very much.
Old 30 Jan 2006, 03:26   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

You can buy single models from the command squad at GW bitz. I purchased the specific officers I wanted, medics, vox com guys and spec weapon dudes. etc
Closed Thread