Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Catachan Loophole?
Closed Thread
Old 26 Jan 2006, 14:55   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via AIM to Magnum_357
Default Catachan Loophole?

Looking through the IG Codex and the Deathworld Codex on-line I'm eternally trying to decide to create a perfect balance so I may bring the fun and effectivness of the Catachans, but still having enough anti-tank power to solidify it. Then it hit me, technically you can bring in DW vets as long as the IG force has the right doctrines. I can incorporate them, yet with that I could use the DW troops for my choices, so it's an IG army with all the fun of deathworld! In short Deathworld units & IG when needed (namely tanks) Does this make any sense or have I missed something?
Old 26 Jan 2006, 15:32   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar
Default Re: Catachan Loophole?

im not quite understand what your saying here. you cant use death world vets with normal guard, they come from a different codex. taking the jungle fighters doctrines doesn't allow you to take stuff from the catchan codex

Old 26 Jan 2006, 15:47   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Actually yes it does, on the website and at the start of the Catachan Codex it mentions if you simply want to add them make use of the doctrines provided and you can add any unit form said codex for an IG unit. I purpose using Veteran platoons instead of normal guard platoons. Nothing says that cannot be done, so why not? I know it sounds weird (Because I know for a fact i'm weird ) but this is how I see it

http://uk.games-workshop.com/imperialguard/catachans/1/
Old 26 Jan 2006, 15:52   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Orion

Ah i checked that out it means the doctrines would make your troops like dw vets not that u can actually use dw vets.

more of a substitute.

"The quiet mouth gets fed last, Ask and you shall recieve"
-Unlimiter-
Old 26 Jan 2006, 15:57   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to wonderboy

technically, you can include catachans in any guard army. iths is supposed to represent a world with not enough people to protect themselves(i.e. orgnize an effective PDF), but important tnough to have high command send them troops

2000 points
1500 points
my army lists.
Old 27 Jan 2006, 05:41   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff

One word... Allies :P
Old 27 Jan 2006, 06:20   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

The Jungle Fighters and Hardened Fighters doctrines together do a decent job of representing Catachan troops as they appear in their own codex. The end of the Imperial Guard book suggests those two doctrines along with Veterans, Special Weapon Squads and Ogryn Squads as being appropriate for a Catachan force. I'm not so sure - I think that it might be worth dropping one of those last three for Die-hards to lend them a bit more of the appropriate character.
Old 27 Jan 2006, 07:20   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff

If you do take doctrines to form the characture of Catachans then these are the five i recomend.

Jungle fighters
Hardened fighters
Veterans
Die-hards
Special weapon squads
Old 29 Jan 2006, 00:48   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Pretty Much the idea is to replace the normal ig men with doctrines to Deathworld Veterans, this way the army is still guard, just few/no units need to take them.

The Catachan 357th “Blood Wasps”
Doctrines: Jungle Fighters, Ogryns, Hardened Fighters, Special Support Squads, Veterans

Captain Harrisway w/ Power Weapon, Bolt Pistol, Frag Grenades (Notice it's a Deathworld
4 Deathworld Veterans w/ Flamer, Meltagun, Medipack, Vox, Frag Grenades
(Notice it's a Deathworld command squad instead)

10 Deathworld w/ Heavy Flamer, Grenade Launcher, Vox Caster
10 Deathworld w/ Missile Launcher, Plasma Gun, Vox Caster
Lieutenant w/ Storm Bolter, Surveyor
Fire Support Squad w/ 3 Autocannons

10 Deathworld w/ Missile Launcher, Grenade Launcher, Vox
10 Deathworld w/ Heavy Flamer, Meltagun, Vox
Lieutenant w/ Storm Bolter, Surveyor
Fire Support Squad w/ 3 Heavy Bolters
(Our basic Troop choices here with the added fun of support squads)

Basilisk w/ IDF
(The rule breaker, but since it is an IG army with doctrines and all that, we get to add this little piece of artillery!)

In short I want to know if the army is legal, if my theory is correct I may have stumbled upon an embarassingly fun army to play. The fun of infiltration and Ambush, the numerous shots, and the more than amusing tanks available for me.
-Also, rate the list and let me know what you think if you please ;D
Old 29 Jan 2006, 15:43   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum_357
Actually yes it does, on the website and at the start of the Catachan Codex it mentions if you simply want to add them make use of the doctrines provided and you can add any unit form said codex for an IG unit. I purpose using Veteran platoons instead of normal guard platoons.
nothing on that website supports you idea. if you take the jungle fighters doctrine you cant use things from the catachan codex. no where in the imperial guard codex, or the link you sent me says that. you can take those doctrines to represent deathworld veterans in your army. what they are saying is take these doctrines and give them to certain squads to represent them being death wolrd vets. its not say that take any of these doctrines and you can include units from codex:catachan. if that where so every regiment in the codex except for steel legion and mordians would be able to take death world vets. i can jsut imagine them in a krieg army, bunch of jungle boys running across no-mans land.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum_357
Nothing says that cannot be done, so why not? I know it sounds weird (Because I know for a fact i'm weird Wink) but this is how I see it
nothing says that i cannot beat you unconcious with a chair and steal your models as you bleed out on the floor.

Closed Thread