Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Ogryn Madness!
Closed Thread
Old 25 Jan 2006, 21:02   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Ogryn Madness!

I was re-reading the Chapter Approved stuff on the abhumans last night, and realized something crazy. The Feral Ogryns doctrine doesn't just let you take Feral Ogryns, it lets you take them as TROOPS choices.

Yikes!

Can you see 2000 points of Ogryns? Consider a HSO command squad at or around 100 points, then two squads of Feral Ogryns (at 300 points a piece), AND three more squads of regular Ogryns (at just under 300 points a piece)? That comes to 1550 points or so, which then leaves room for a couple of TANKS!

Yikes! Can you imagine what your opponent says when you lay down not just fifty men, but fifty Ogryns?

I love it. But that's just me.
Old 25 Jan 2006, 21:20   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to king.com
Default Re: Ogryn Madness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Austin
Yikes! Can you imagine what your opponent says when you lay down not just fifty men, but fifty Ogryns?
I would say "can we reschedule this match?"
Old 25 Jan 2006, 21:36   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

The most macho army ever! I dig it, I want to see it in action...I might go with some chims for mobility. Maybe have Deddog lead them, brilliant man.

[img width=650 height=169]http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/1077/ordounlimitedsigcopybcopylc7.jpg[/img]
Old 25 Jan 2006, 21:38   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

I'd say "Roll out the Krak Missiles!" ;D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 25 Jan 2006, 21:45   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

its pie plate time! seems like a very aggressive army. combine it with some fast moving rough riders and a vanquisher for anti-tank and you've got yourself a CC guard army. way i suggest greyknights and kroot, i mean 5 ogryns squads is very cheesy as it is so through in some kroot to make it even more feral.

Old 26 Jan 2006, 00:15   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

O0
congrats on that one. I would say you would kill any other army built with the sportsmanlike 'take all comers' idea in mind. sure krak missles will save you (Wargamer)... IF you know to take them in advance, and probably not even then. Macho. Yes that was the word. This is exactly what we have been chatting about in other threads about abusing the rules just to win. The guard are the most underdog army in the game, but anybody with a gamer mind will find a way to make it work. This ogryn thing is a good way. (How about a ton of lasgunners with a lascannon in every squad? etc.) That's why we are usually the veteran players at tourneys and game-nights and such.

I think if you actually did this you would find a lot of people not wanting to play any more if you take it to this level, but I you know this as well as I do, and it is fun to theorize about, but just kind of mean to execute unless you have money riding on a tournament or something. You actually don't even need to go beyond standard guard and just stick 3x10 ogryns in your elite section. I wonder if GW made the models so expensive just because they know that they are so sick, and some player somewhere will go and load up 30 from the online store cuz he's tired of losing. Maybe that's why they called Ogryn commanders 'boneheads' too.
Old 26 Jan 2006, 06:48   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

you know what, i dont know what your ranting about squigs. he isn't abusing the rules by taking laods of ogryns, thats what the doctrine is for! i know i would have any problem playing againt him, or anyone using chapter approved of IA stuff. i even let people play with custom codexes, aslong as its nothing like öh yeah my guardsmen come from a gladiator world, they all ahve WS5 at no extra cost."

when it comes to guard i dont think theres such as thing as cheesy.

Old 26 Jan 2006, 07:54   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

50 Ogryn...My SM, Tau and IG can well outshoot them and my Chaos and DHs can beat them down in CC.

Im confident I could beat them, but it would be one heck of game, or at the least, interesting.
Old 26 Jan 2006, 12:15   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Can you combine Mechanised with that doctrine? >
Old 26 Jan 2006, 13:58   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Oh man that list sounds like a total blast! I'd love to either use it or fight with it!

And if you converted the army out of plastic WHFB ogres it'd be cheaper/look better.

And if they're feral Ogryns how much conversion needs to be done to them

I don't think its a cheesy list at all, as a matter of fact against many armies it could be quite weak. While Ogryns have 3 wounds a peice they're armour isn't so good and S8 or better insta kills them so Tau Seeker missiles or Battle cannons are REALLY gonna ruin your day.

Its a great fluffy and fun idea for an army and you should do it for sure!

If you can take independant commisars that would be really fun just to have them running around leading Ogryn charges, not effective points wise so much but it would look totally badass on the battlefield.

p.s.

What issue of white dwarf US is that Ab-human doctrine list in? Is it anywhere online?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Closed Thread