Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

What Allies Should I Get For My IG.
Closed Thread
Old 25 Jan 2006, 02:56   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Send a message via AIM to Spotskey Send a message via MSN to Spotskey
Default What Allies Should I Get For My IG.

What Allies Should I Get For My IG. Im leaning towards Space Marines. Tell what i should do.

If and What i use What would my Greatest benifet to my IG
Old 25 Jan 2006, 03:36   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: What Allies Should I Get For My IG.

Why not just play Smurfs. I understand some people may want allies but really Guard are cool on their own.
Old 25 Jan 2006, 03:54   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Well I allready have a space marine army and i wanted to include them in my army. I'm am also fourteen and don't have alot money to spend so I was thinking to ally my space marines with them because I really like there tanks. I would also want to paint my army like an old World War 2 germany Army.

It just SOOOOOOOOOO much Money.
Old 25 Jan 2006, 04:03   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Aun’o Tash’var Shin’jin

right, first of all, don't double post... you've done it twice, i suggest reading the forum rules ok?

To be honest IG are better of without allies in my view, just use IG, if you want ordanance then use 3 basilisks, they hurt on the offense/defence, keep heavy weapons in normal squads to a minumum, so they can move, use your HQ platoon to get in the infantry tank killers, they help, then stock up on hellhounds...

well there's my 2 cents...
Eidt by JD: I dunno how you managed to read it after the changes FT
Edit by AC: JD you've spelt edit incorrectly...
Edit by WG: I just wanted to be part of the moment. :P
Old 25 Jan 2006, 04:15   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Sorry I will not do that again ever. But thanks for help.
Old 25 Jan 2006, 04:28   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Aun’o Tash’var Shin’jin

it's ok, just don't do it again, i am not a Mod, so i wont and cant smite you, but they will, i don't want you getting negative karma...

i'm always here for help.
Eidt by JD: I dunno how you managed to read it after the changes FT
Edit by AC: JD you've spelt edit incorrectly...
Edit by WG: I just wanted to be part of the moment. :P
Old 25 Jan 2006, 07:40   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

You seem to be somewhat confused as to army composition... Marines cannot ally with Guard.

The armies that can are Daemonhunters, Witchhunters, Deathwatch Kill Teams and Kroot Mercenaries.

Daemonhunters are my most hated ally. It is abhorrantly unfluffy for Grey Knights to fight beside other armies, and comes down to outright powergaming in my book. Guard are meant to be weak in combat, taking that away is pure cheeze.

Witchhunters are a more acceptable choice, but they play far too differently to the Guard to make it truly worthwhile. Plus, they're in Power Armour... and if that's what you want, you shouldn't be playing Guard.

Deathwatch are the force I would encourage. They are a truly awesome force, and they always seem to come out on top against the odds. Be warned, however... a good Kill Team can easily rack up 400pts or more.

Kroot Mercenaries are an obscure ally, and one that isn't often used. I've never included Kroot in a Guard army, but if you're going for an "assaulty" Guard army, Kroot are the perfect force to bulk out your ranks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 25 Jan 2006, 20:27   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Marines technically can't ally with guard, but Grey Knight marines can. They are more or less just like marines except their army list gets a little wierd... losts of stormbolters and nemesis weapons.

Your marine models could probably pass as some grey knights if your opponent is friendly. You can just repaint them and have some fun with that too - in fact the older editions grey knights didn't have figures of their own, they were just a certain color scheme and a tacked on storm bolter (I used to shave 2 plastic bolters and glue them together... cheap.. easy... theres always some spare bolter sprues around)

. I agree with Wargamer that it is very powergamey to ally them to the guard, but if that's what models you have then that's probably your best option. You mentioned not having much figure budget. I remember being there. Hey do any of us EVER have enough figures to do what we really want? I could always use an extra lascannon team or sentinel still and I've been playing this stuff since the 80's. So don't worry too much about people calling you cheesy for doing it.

You don't have to make it cheesy and powergamey and beardey and all those silly words, you could just throw in some marine models, a tactical squad's worth of GKs or something simple like that, and use your Marine chapter master figure as a Grey Knight Lord, and reason that they are the reason for the battle, there to oversee the operation, and the poor guard just got shovelled into a fight by order of the inquisition and have no idea why they are there (kind of like the German army grunts in WW2) - which could work quite well with your background army idea.

Taking a couple of squads of Grey Knights isn't as abusive as everybody seems to think, as long as you play sportingly and don't fine-tune your army around the alliance, just using it to beef up your assault. It can eat up a few points in your list, so you don't need to buy as many guard, it can do a bit of destruction on the table, and hey it's Grey too! so were the germans... seems to fit pretty well to me.
Old 25 Jan 2006, 20:48   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Remember, too, that there's a certain group of gamers who'll call you cheezy no matter *what* you do, so just do whatever you find fun.

As an aside (and an important aside), I strongly encourage you to buy the relevant codexes--Daemonhunters, Witchhunters, and Tau. You should buy these codexes before you even consider actually adding such troops to your army list, as not having the rules for your troops is what will inspire *me* to call you a cheezemonkey. It's never a bad idea to have the rules anyway, as they can give you good insight into what you might face sometime in the future.

And no whining about not having the cash for the codexes. They're 20 bucks a piece--easily less than more figures (and not even 20 bucks if you look carefully on ebay). Buy the rules *first*.
Old 25 Jan 2006, 20:59   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

You need the Kroot Mercenary Army list to use Kroot... not the Tau Codex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Closed Thread