Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

What are Ogryns?
Closed Thread
Old 22 Jan 2006, 06:23   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default What are Ogryns?

Greetings Gue'la!

I was just wondering, what exactly are Ogryns? I've seen the models, but are they mutated humans or another race altogether? And why are they allowed to stay in the army of a xeno/mutantophobic society?

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty.
- Inquisitor Lord Karamazov

What do you humans know of our pain? We have sang songs of lament since before your ancestors crawled on their bellies from the sea - Eldrad Ulthran
Old 22 Jan 2006, 06:26   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via AIM to Praying Mantidae Send a message via MSN to Praying Mantidae
Default Re: What are Ogryns?

A subspecies of humans that were stranded on High-gravity worlds. They adapted to their environment and became the hulking Ogryns that we know today.

And apparently their brains shrank as their bodies grew.
Old 22 Jan 2006, 06:28   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

They are humans that have evolved into Ogryns. They generally come from very High Gravity worlds, and the original humans that lived on that planet needed bigger muscles / mass to be able to live on those planets.

They are kept in the IG becuase they are usefull for combat. They are also rather stupid, but incredibly loyal to the Emperor, and probably becuase of that they are not really seen as a threat. Its kinda like the Ratling snipers, they are usefull, so they can tolerate them (although, I can imagine that the "normal" probably dont think very highly of them.
Old 22 Jan 2006, 08:14   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

They are 40k equivalent to warhammer fantasy ogres. That is all there is to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
Old 22 Jan 2006, 11:26   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisis_vyper
They are 40k equivalent to warhammer fantasy ogres. That is all there is to it.
'

They are not. The other answers are correct.

Also.. not everybody accept the Ogryns (or ratlings) and think them mutants that should be cleansed with holy fire. And also not all regiments use them because of that.. I would belive ther is a lot of arguing going on in diffrent poitical institutions in the imperium about them.. And some inquisitors probably kill as many as possible when they get a chanse. But other powerfull generals and senators and such find them usefull enough.
Old 22 Jan 2006, 13:14   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

They are close to ogre. Clubs and thick-headed in one package?

But yeah, the ogres in Fantasy are different to the ogryn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
Old 22 Jan 2006, 16:05   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Well yes, they arent the same thing as ogres, just like ratlings arent the same as halflings, but they are representatives of the ogre archetype. This is from back in the beginning when GW largely transferred over races and ideas from Fantasy to give WHFB players something to relate to in this new game.

I think you will see some similar comparison with the first appearance of Necrons. Khemri, anyone?

Now lets never speak of them again. They are terribly ugly (and not in a good ogre-y way) and not worth ther points, though some will disagree with me on that point.
Old 22 Jan 2006, 17:31   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeighBusiness
Well yes, they arent the same thing as ogres, just like ratlings arent the same as halflings, but they are representatives of the ogre archetype. This is from back in the beginning when GW largely transferred over races and ideas from Fantasy to give WHFB players something to relate to in this new game.

I think you will see some similar comparison with the first appearance of Necrons. Khemri, anyone?

Now lets never speak of them again. They are terribly ugly (and not in a good ogre-y way) and not worth ther points, though some will disagree with me on that point.
they have T5 and hit pretty damn hard in melee and have multiwounds. I think they are worth their points - because the other assault option would be Veterans with one wound or some wimpy escape route like allied Grey Knights.

Ogryns are human 'evolution' (devolution?) at work. Its a rather thin skinned rationalization but the same applies to ratlings and (gasp!) squats. In simpler terms this was the origin of 40k:Orcs become Orks, dwarves become squats, halflings=ratlings, elves=eldar, etc. essentially some dungeons and dragons players probably just wondered about throwing in laser guns once upon a time.
Old 22 Jan 2006, 17:58   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

They ARE the best assault option for pure guard....but out there on their own they will be butchered rather quickly. i simply dont believe they will earn back their points offensively. The one good thing about them is their 3 wounds. If they can ride out without a giant orange "shoot me" sign and not have to face the entire enemy line on their own, they can effectively tie up some units. But i think the points could be much better spent on long range firepower, something guard are actually good at. Ogryns are not going to balance the CC arena for guard on their own. Thats not to say good players cant make them work, they are just not a good gamble on paper in my honest opinion.

This is the same logic i use with tanks. If you only take one or two vehicles, they will have to soak up your opponent's entire arsenal of anti-tank. Tanks only work in decent numbers, giving your opponent lots of targets to spread out his shots.

I find the low-grav origin interesting. Supposedly squats were the result of humans living on low-grav worlds. If that is true then i wonder why ogryns evolved so differently.
Old 22 Jan 2006, 18:55   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau

Squats on low-grav.

Ogryns on high-grav.

They look butt ugly. That is why GAMESWORKSHOP decided to tell us how to buy fantasy Orgres and convert them!

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
Closed Thread