Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

demolisher
Closed Thread
Old 20 Jan 2006, 16:26   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default demolisher

I wan't to build one of these. I have never used one, I have always stuck to the basic Leman. Before I build this ugly monster and start glueing the bits together, does anyone have any experienced advice as to what I should arm it with? I was thinking the plasma cannon sponsons because we can't get plascans otherwise, but it seems pretty expensive. Who usues these tanks regularly? Please tell me what I need to know before I build the model and end up with some points wasting atrocity of a table ornament.
Old 20 Jan 2006, 16:31   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: demolisher

I'd just give it 3 heavy bolters.

The plasma cannons are crazily expensive and will scare your opponent into devoting EVEN MORE firepower at the tank.

Also if you move you can only fire one plasma cannon forcing you to stay stationary to make the best use of it.

If however you have 3 heavy bolters you can move 6" and fire all of them.

This is great because if your opponent blows off the demoisher cannon they may be tempted to disregard your tank. Then next turn you can drive forward and lay waste to his infantry with 9 shots/turn and the demoisher will still be hard to get rid of with its fantastic armour values.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Old 20 Jan 2006, 20:30   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Why glue the sponsons? I'm no IG Tank Expert (= never build one) but i bet you could use magnets to make the sponsons interchangeable. I know you can do this with the Rhino and its variants. I suggest you search for tutorials online - here and via google.
Old 20 Jan 2006, 22:41   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

That would be bloody hard, considering the sponsons are held in place by the casing mount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 20 Jan 2006, 22:54   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

You NEED a demolisher.

They're in my mind far better than a Leman Russ, and definitely give them plasma cannons.
They can make life hell for the oponent.

Heres a link to a tactica on them I did a while back...
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11228.0

Hope that helps.
Old 20 Jan 2006, 22:59   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

With regards to equip, Las/Plas is my modus operandi. The Demol is clearly meant to beat the snot out of high toughness/save/AV units, so give it guns to suit! Sticking 3 Heavy Bolters on it is an exercise in pointlessness... what good will they do it!?

Quote:
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 21 Jan 2006, 05:19   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

The Demolisher (and its cousin, the Vindicator) can be viewed very easiy as a prime area-denial device. If your opponent knows what a Demolisher cannon can do, drive one forwarrd, put it in park, and watch the enemy army do cartwheels to avoid coming within range!

The Demo is the only tank that can be geared up with Plasma and Melta cannons in its sponsons, making it capable of dishing out an absolutely horrifying level of firepower. The first "Weapon Destroyed" the Demo is likely to suffer will almost surely be against the primary cannon itself, but the stronger secondary mounts (while expensive) can still give you a devestating weapon in combat. With its strong armor values, it will be able to shrug off a good deal of enemy fire for a long time.

Just remember that its not invincible. With enough firepower, *anything* can die, and the Demolisher has everything but a giant neon sign screaming "EXPENSIVE TANK: SHOOT ME NOW!!!!"

If you are feeling capable, try to use magnets or other means to make the Demolisher malleable; that way, if you find you don't like the tank or can't use it with your normal methods, you can make it a standard Russ and keep on rolling. In the end, always arm the Tank with the mission you have in mind for it.

Good luck, and cheers!
Old 21 Jan 2006, 18:48   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

My next IG vehicle is going to be the Thunderer Siege tanks.

Its like a leman russ, but it's only weapon is a hull mounted Demolisher Cannon.

I dont know the stats off hand, but it may be worth looking at, and it would add more personaly to your army.
Old 21 Jan 2006, 20:53   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

I'm not a fan of the Thunderer myself. Very fluffy, yes, but it's too much of a one-trick pony... and for it's cost, you're better of with the Demol; more reasonably priced.

Quote:
Old 21 Jan 2006, 21:57   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Yeah I agree with Wargamer on this one. Zoomer said that the demolisher had a neon "shoot me" sign, and I fail to see what the point in speding points on a single demolisher cannon with tank shock is.

In my mind the only thing the Thunderer has going for it is looks. When someone says "siege tank", I think of that squat little guy.
Closed Thread