Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Imperial Guard-brand Cheese
Closed Thread
Old 15 Jan 2006, 17:26   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Imperial Guard-brand Cheese

I've always wondered what cheesy Imperial Guard lists compose of. What would be some units or army lists that are cheesy? I must know so I do not stoop down to a powergaming level in my list building.

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Enge(spc)
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Old 15 Jan 2006, 17:38   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Imperial Guard-brand Cheese

1. taking more than one tank per 500 points (or taking one at 500).

2. taking close combat allies.

3. taking 150 conscripts (means at least 230 models!).

4. taking 30 lascannons in 1500 points.

5. a 100% drop troops army.

6. armored company can be cheesy...usually when you pop it without warning on someone who's prepared to deal with 1-2 tanks, not 12!

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 15 Jan 2006, 18:07   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
How does that qualify as being beardy? You loose the ability to have staying power in place before the game starts, and you loose out on any armour whatsover (beyond Sentinels).

The others are good points, though - Lasguard... *shudder*.
Old 15 Jan 2006, 18:08   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Deep Striking SWS, Sentinels and Melta-command sections is just nasty. They don't do well vs hoardes, but "Marine" armies, and tank-heavy armies, they slaughter.

And yes, AC can be unfair if you don't give fair warning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 15 Jan 2006, 21:43   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Gatler Send a message via MSN to Gatler

Quote:
Originally Posted by march10k
I've done it to make a point, but I havn't seen anyone else do it.

Quote:
They have some close combat models, Ogryns, Roughriders. They're ok, just expensive. They sure make a mess of Fire Warriors though. Mind you, said Fire Warriors were, due to a deployment error, about 6" away from said Ogryns. : Stupid me...

Quote:
I've seen that before. :-X Almost soiled myself, he had it all set up when I walked in...

Quote:
4. taking 30 lascannons in 1500 points.
Seen that.

Quote:
Havn't seen it, but it'd be interesting to play against, I think.

Quote:
6. armored company can be cheesy...usually when you pop it without warning on someone who's prepared to deal with 1-2 tanks, not 12!
Hehe, I enjoy Armoured company, as long as they either A) don't go first, or B) I have nothing valuable in LOS when we start. Can you say 'Target Practice'? ;D

"Forgive you? Of course I forgive you. That is your god's function. Your crime is forgiven. However, your stupidity requires a response." - Leto Atreides II, God Emperor of Dune
Old 15 Jan 2006, 22:15   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
taking one tank at 500 points DOES make sense, considering the fluff of guard. a single russ makes sense in a small company.

Quote:
this can also not be cheesy, especially if you are fighting enemies like daemons and bring in Grey Knights from a daemonhunter's army, or take SM for a battle against a certain Xenos.
Quote:
Duh, of course this can be a fine option for any IG player. Defending a homeworld? Every able bodied citizen grab a lasgun and rush to the battlefield?

Overall, I dont believe this list of supposedly "cheesy" IG things was very well thought out, and the comment about armoured company is just dumb. if they take it and you aren't prepared, to bad, its perfectly legit.
When Chuck Norris has sex with a man, it is not because he is gay, but because he has run out of women.
Since 1940, the year Chuck Norris was born, roundhouse kick related deaths have increased 13,000 percent.
There are no disabled people. Only people who have met Chuck Norris.
Chuck Norris does not have AIDS but he gives it to people anyway.
The chief export of Chuck Norris is pain.
On the 7th day, God rested.... Chuck Norris took over.
Old 15 Jan 2006, 23:21   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I think it has to do less with specific picks in an army list, and more with a design philosophy. The 'cheesiest' way of playing in my opinion is to custom tailor your army to a specific opponent who's list you know. Say taking exactly the right special weapons to AP the army you will face.

Taking any disproportionate number of any kind of troop or weapon type or vehicle is the most obvious offense, but it has more to do with your approach.

I find that most other armies have a much easier time making ridiculous armies because they have superheroic characters with lots and lots of options to make killer combos with. We mostly just have our numbers. If your opponent always maxes out his command squads and overkills his assault units, feel free to max out your weapons choices with moral impunity.

Space Wolf players get superior troops with more options even than regular marines for reduced points. Why? because GW sells models that way. I can probably find 5 marine players than for every guard player out there. Probably a lot more Tau armies too. They take less careful planning, so newbies tend to gravitate in that direction. They don't have to worry about the fine line between efficient and unsportsmanlike - generally, just using certain armies guarantees efficiency. We can take all the lascannons we can muster, we still have that 5+ save and that 7Ld and that s3 t3 and bs3 to deal with.

how about 3x10 ogryns, 3 hvy bolterx3 lemans, a ccw/laspistol JO command squad, and 2x5 grenadiers with hellguns. heh... somewhere around tournament size points wise. Never tried it, and I dont think anybody has that many ogryns, but it sure would be funny. Show those marines who can make the finest cheese fit for an emperor.
Old 16 Jan 2006, 18:33   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Location: Florida, USA, Earth, Sola segumuntum, third arm of spiral milky way galaxy, the universe.

use WHFB Ogres. GW did leadbelly conversion in Black Gobbo.

Khanaris: Rocks and pointy sticks are inexpensive, easy to maintain, and require little training, and almost never malfunction. That hardly makes them a perfect weapon.

"I know not what world war three will be founght with, but world war four with be fought with sticks and stones."
Old 16 Jan 2006, 18:40   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

i dont think armoured companies are cheesy, or beardy. you pay about 100 points more for your commander, for an extra balistic skill, on a leman russ. seriosuly, i'd be hard pressed to pay 25 points for such an upgrade. and people complain that its unfair that they are so overly focused on armour. thats like saying tyranids are beardy because i just wasted all my anti-tank weapons.

Old 16 Jan 2006, 21:36   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elessar
thats like saying tyranids are beardy because i just wasted all my anti-tank weapons.
not quite the same- anti-tank weapons are good against TMCs; anti-infantry weapons that can't even hurt Armoured Company are useless.

I've created a new Manga/ Anime series.

In the near-future, the French police pilot giant robot suits to keep their country safe; they are...

GENDARME WING
Closed Thread