Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

MEGA-BATTLE! (Warning, very pic heavy!)
Closed Thread
Old 14 Jan 2006, 23:19   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default MEGA-BATTLE! (Warning, very pic heavy!)

Well here's the story.

Tommorow, I'm having a bunch of 6-9 graders over to hopefully have a mega-battle, with 1,500 pts. per player. Attending armies at present:

COMING FOR SURE:
3 IG armies (myself included)
Orks
Tau

POSSIBLY COMING:
Space Wolves

This makes (hopefully) 7 players, but chances are it's gonna be more like 6, as I have a feeling the Space Wolf player probably won't be able to make it. Dunno for certain, though. As we are all 15 or under, no super heavies. Luckily enough for all IG players however, I have IA1 and will definitely use variant ammo >. Any advice on playing mega-battles, or what to bring to them, is appreciated.
Old 14 Jan 2006, 23:33   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar
Default Re: MEGA-BATTLE!

3 ig armies a dark angel army an ork army a tau army and a space wolf army. pardon my math but does that not make 7 players?

never had a mega battle (Iras Emperator just sits in my room, on his thrown) so i cant give much advice. but make sure youve got plenty of matching scenery

Old 14 Jan 2006, 23:48   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

oh yeah Ellesar, you're right :P

Not that it complicates things or anything. My tactics are pretty much (as it stands) to pack as much ordnance as is humanly possible into one detachment, use the advanced ammo rules, and hit the Tau tanks (I have a feeling he's gonna be my enemy) with 3 AT shells the first chance I get. Give him a tast of his own, cover-jumping, non-scatter ordnance, medicine!

In case I end up facing the Marine player(s)... AP3 time! I wouldn't be surprised if he's never faced guard before, since he's brothers with the Tau player, and generally fights him. I know that Dark Angels are "shooty marines" but I have no doubt that I can probably out do them. That is unless he uses Drop Pods... *shivers*

Oh and Ellesar, I do have matching scenery... 6 fish tank plants!

EDIT: STATUS REPORT
Unfortunately, the Dark Angel player left his army at his dad's house, and he's at his moms. This compicates things, because he'll have to use an IG army someone gave him, and I have a feeling it's illegal. Oh well.
Furthermore, the Tau player doesn't have 1,500 pts worth of troops, only 1,000. I have not thought up a solution for this.
As of yet, the Space Wolves player has not contacted me yet, so I don't think he'll come. Oh boy am I nervous about this. Seriously people, suggestions for my list! Oh yeah, and of course I'll post pictures and maybe even a mini bat-rep about this whole thing. In the words of the Dark Angel player "... I want this to be really good..."
Old 15 Jan 2006, 10:32   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

if its going to be a really big mega battle you might want to bring along some basilisks. lobbing shells from one corner of the map, over the scenery and unto the main marine army is VERY fun. but if the map isn't that big lemanrusses will do great(do you have vanquishers?) mega battles are great because they allow you to use tactics that would be redundant in nromal 40K(i.e. valkyries, super heavies, basilisks)

Old 15 Jan 2006, 11:45   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Is this like every-man-for-himself sort of scenario or will there be teams? If it is a free for all bloodbath then take whatever makes your enemies think that they would have an easier time attacking someone else - lots of massed heavy gear, a huge conscript platoon, ogryns who never die easy, whatever makes one of your enemies think 'hmm...I'd have an easier time attacking Bob over there on the left side'. If you are part of a team, then try to co-ordinate with them when you pick your army. You mentioned a space wolf player. If you are on the same team, you take the mortars and griffins and basilisks and let him take the blood claws, so that both your armies can complement each other's weaknesses. Either way, good luck. Sounds like fun. (I wish I even knew 2 40k players when I was that age let alone 6)
Old 15 Jan 2006, 16:54   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I know more players than those who are coming, these are just the ones that I know best. Only one of the people coming is not from my school.

And, I might have another friend over to play the Space Wolves. The person who owns the minis leaves them at my house, becuase he only plays me, so I know someone who likes to play 40k but doesn't have an army, I could have him over to use it.

Right now, I think the teams will look like this:
Team 1
IG (myself)
IG
Space Wolves

Team 2
IG
Tau
Orks

This is going off of fluff, becuase I always fight better when I have an idea why I'm fighting. Basically the Tau are Tau, their allied IG army is Gue'vesa, and the orks have "alli'd" with the Tau, to get into a "dubl skrap!" (Imperials first, Tau later). Obviously the other team is the brave defence against the hoard.

Old 16 Jan 2006, 02:37   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Sorry for the double post but I thought I should tell you guys that we had the battle, and it was a draw.

My allied IG player was nothing but trouble, the only reason I'm glad he came was his tanks. The space wolves were good in this game, they basically anchored the entire right flank.

The enemy came very close to winning. The Tau hammerhead was amazing, only my basilisk stopped it. So were the orks, Gorloth the Great wreaked mass havoc with his bikes. :P

Oh, and the AT shells ROCK! My ally and I used them on our basilisks to no end, it killed a lot. I think I'll be using those more...

pics and report to follow tomorrow morning when I'm not so tired.
Old 16 Jan 2006, 02:54   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to wonderboy

the tau could always proxy, and as for the angal guy's list, it seems there are more than enough canidates to help him out.

2000 points
1500 points
my army lists.
Old 16 Jan 2006, 16:41   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

The battle report! All I can say was it was... chaotic. "Okay dude, rolling to wound!" "Oh wait dude, what should I fire from my basilisk? An HE shell or an AP shell?" : I think I'll do this again, but with more preparation and planning.
So, the actual fighting...
This was the enemy lines. There were a lot, the most dangerous being the hammerhead, the looted Leman Russ, and the Leman Russ I gave the enemy guard to "even out the points" :P.

Aha, the brave alliance of Imperials! We had two basilisks with advanced ammo, thank god for Forge World! And yes, those two purple Chimeras are mine. They're not done with the paint job, and up close its more red than purple. Also note the 4 sentinels, 3 of which were mine. Now, I'm not usually one to use them, but I had the spare points and why not? They worked really well, as you shall see. Oh, and we did end up using the Space Wolves. They didn't do much, it was all the guard doing the shooting. I was surprised, becuase usually their commander does better.

First turn, which we got. My Sentinels and Chimeras charged forward, carrying the command squads. I think they managed to kill a few bikes, but not much of a dent. The basilisk fired an AT shell at the looted Leman Russ, rolled a 5 to penetrate, and then a two on the damage result. I can't remember what the other basilisk did, if anything. Oh, and another annoyance, my ally decided to take command of my Demolisher, which I let him, but it ended up not firing a single shot the entire game. Oh well.

Their turn, I think a lot of the enemy forgot to shoot, because I can't remember anything signifigant happening other than the Ork bikes blowing my lascannon Sentinel to peices, and the hammerhead landed a shot onto my vet squad, killing half. Luckily, they passed the morale test. I also forgot to take a picture of this turn. Sorry.

Our turn, the Space Wolf land speeders made their deep strike role, and were plopped down by my neigbor right next to a Firewarrior squad, and ork buggy, 6 ork bikers, and two zzap guns. Ouch. And this was his choice, even though a Hammerhead, and two Leman Russes were nearby. he ended up shooting only two bikers, and blowing up a killa kan. I nearly blew a cap. My Mars Sentinel and two Chimeras seriously knocked the bikes and some heavy weapon teams about, killing two heavy weapon troopers and two bikes, not enough to save the speeders. My Bassie fired another AT shell at the hammerhead and blew off the railgun and stunned it. Unfortunately the seeker missile drones got away. For some reason I took more pics of this turn.

Their turn, the LLR fired a shell at my Bassie, but rolled a one on the armor penetration roll. The other Leman Russ popped away at the Space Wolves, managing to kill a whopping two. The firewarrior squad behind one of the landspeeders shot with their pulse rifles and blew it up. Unfortunately for them, they shot to well for the resulting explosion killed 3 of their number and a drone. The failed their morale check and fell back to the rim of the board. The zzap gun killed the othe speeder. Furthermore, a Stealth Team appeared behind my friends Bassie and blew off the gun, using their marker light with drone seeker missiles.

Our turn, The two Chimeras shot more at the heavy weapon squad, killing an autocannon and reducing the rest to one trooper. Dang. On the light side, the Stealth Squad was killed to a man by 18 lasguns and 2 grenade launchers. My ally's Techpriest Enginseer came from Reserves, and moved into base contact with the damaged Bassie. My bassie tried to fire at the LLR, but missed. At this point, the Space Wolf commander had to go home, but left his Space Wolves at my house. I took control of them.

Their turn, the remaining Bikers opened up on my Command Chimera, blew it up, and all but the mighty Colonel Sanders himself made it out alive, shaking dust off his uniform. Most of their shooting went wild though, as the Space Wolves were un-touched, and unfortunately at this point the game ended, we were out of time.
Old 16 Jan 2006, 17:22   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Mrgame
Default Re: MEGA-BATTLE! (Warning, very pic heavy!)

sounds like a nice battle.Pics are a bit blurry but i can still make everything out.
Closed Thread