Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

who's got the big guns now?! (battle report)
Closed Thread
Old 13 Jan 2006, 19:48   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default who's got the big guns now?! (battle report)

the game was 1000 points

dangerous Dan's army of the greater good riddance (tau):
his fluff:
we take all of our best technology and just wipe out the primitive and unenlightened. The more tanks we have, the less bravery we need. - or something along those lines....

dangerous Dan is the extreme powerplayer of our group. He wins almost all the time. He has lots and lots and seriously lots of Tau tanks.

here is his army:

Shaso battlesuit with twinlinked burst cannon, missile pod, shield generator, 2 gun droned hardwired, multitracker hardwired

3 hammerheads(!!!), 2 with railgun, 1 with ion cannons

3 fire warrior squads
3 devilfish

(anyone who has read my recent babble may remember my mentioning of the 'sicko' tau tank army - he can actually do this up to 2000 points but it loses its effectiveness as he fills up his heavy slots)

My army: The 61,252,143th Kevorkian "point n' shoot" suicide heavy assault company . (my fluff: "Hey?? There must be some mistake on this delivery? I thought we were only supposed to get 1 shipload of heavy weapons? oh well.. I'll report it to the administratum sooner or later")

JO with ccw, 4 grndlunches
3 autocannon teams
3 lascannon teams
3 misslunches teams
3 mortar teams

infantry platoon command squad JO with 5 laspist/ccw
2 lasgunner squads

armored fist with 9 lasgunners, 1 meltagun, 2 Heavy flamers and smoke on the chim

Leman with hull mounted lascannon

5 deepstrike stormtroopers with 2 plasmaguns

---setup

All of the Tau hovertanks deployed out of LOS behind the 3 buildings and the woods that obstructed the middle of the table. The battlesuit hid in a corner behind some plastic ruins. One big building was centered on the table and a smaller building on either side of it made for two large streets where the battle would eventually be decided. There were a smattering of shrubs and trees and rubble walls around all 4 corners.

I put 2 lines of infantry stretched across a front, with the ccw command squad right behind them. I set my leman, missile launchers, and Grenade launcher command squad coving lane "A" on the left flank. I put my Lascannons and autocannons covering lane "B" on the right flank. I put my mortars way off in the far corner from his battlesuit. My chim with the melta squad was left of the Leman, but 2" back for target picking reasons.

-----
the fun begins:
the Tau get the first turn, charge out of their obstructed views and blaze away with all their crazy weapons. My first line of infantry is entiremy wiped out by burst cannons, my second is half killed and breaks. My Leman has it's battlecannon destroyed, and soaked up an extreme amount of fire.

My response:
a quote from another member online who gave some advice on my army list:"WHos got the firepower NOW!?"
I trained 3 lascannons on the ion cannon hammerhead. 1 hit. it died. I trained 3 missile launchers on one of the railgun hammerheads. 2 hit. it died. I trained 3 autocannon on a devilfish, it was stunned. I trained 3 mortars on the battlesuit but couldnt hurt it (gee... big surprise). The lascannon on my Leman hit another devilfish and imobilized it, kind of blocking the street between the building on the left and the one in the middle. My chimera wiggled between dying lasgunners and shrubbery and closed on the 'healthy' devilfish and blew smoke.

turn 2:
the imobilized devilfish vomited forth 6 tau fire warriors into a tree copse, the last hammerhead pulled to the far left side, trying to get a side shot on my leman. The battlesuit sat in his shrubbery. the stunned devilfish sat there stunned and the working devilfish dumped its 6 firewarriors out into the cover of the central building. the fire warriors and devilfish blasted my remaining lasgun squad and my ccw 'assault' command. nothing remained of 1st platoon. men. That's what they're for. The battlesuit took a long shot at my Leman and immobilized it. The Railgun shot my Leman also, and blew it up. Oh well. That's what they're for.

my response:
my grenade launchers fired 4 krak grenades at the healthy devilfish and destoyed its cannon and immobilized it

my lascannons blasted the last hammerhead and not only destroyed it, but made it kill 2 firewarriors in the blast. My chimera swung around and hit the 6 firewarriors in the building with heavy flame. they all died. the meltagunner from the squad it was transporting got a side shot on the stunned devilfish and destroyed it.

we stopped and consulted the rules about the troops inside. can they escape if they are stunned? I conceded. We rolled for damage. 2 of them survived but were broken and fell back.
-----
turn 3
Dangerous Dan sees 1 battlesuit, 1 disarmed and immobile devilfish, 1 armed but immobile devilfish. 4 fire warriors in the trees, and 2 running away. I saw 3 lascannons, 3 autocannons, 3 mortars, 3 Miss lunches, 4 grnd lunches, and a nasty chimera right dominating the center table. He asked me if I wanted to play this through or would I let him retreat. I did the right thing.

Deep strike plasma gunning stormtroopers.

I killed the battlesuit.

those 2 fire warriors got away. I ended up losing my lascannons to fire from the immobilized but still-armed devilfish, and my chimera was immobilized and lost a flamer from the battlesuit's shots. Thats about it.

a few losses, but more or less a complete slaughter.

I believe dangerous dan will think twice about taking so many supertanks in future.

My 61,252,143th Kevorkian "point and shoots" can now be retired, their point well made.

go guard.
Old 13 Jan 2006, 19:54   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: who's got the big guns now?! (battle report)

You have to remember that a Tau force can be outnumbered by an IG force you know. How many troops per squad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
Old 13 Jan 2006, 20:16   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisis_vyper
You have to remember that a Tau force can be outnumbered by an IG force you know. How many troops per squad?
oh sorry I forgot to specify. All 3 firewarrior squads are minimal 6, he just fills up his troop requirement with them and uses them as an excuse for more tanks. Yes I agree the guard CAN outnumber the Tau, but they dont have assault weapons with a 5 str as standard issue either. Thats why we get those 25 man platoons of useless flashlight bearers to soak up shots. I have never seen a Tau player make an army based on numbers, because it is so tempting to take all of the cool guns - if we all just took basic infantry units the tau would slaughter the guard and only be a few figures less. The Tau are much easier to trick out and power up and win based on huge weapon-special-ability-combos for their vehicles and my opponent last night does this all the time and always wins against the 'throw-together' armies and moans and groans when somebody gets a "lucky" hit that kills one of his underpriced, overpowered kill machines. The point I made at last nights game is that if you keep using the same disgustingly overtanky superweapon army (6 awesome tanks in a 1000 point game??) sooner or later someone will take a rock to your scissors or a scissors to your paper.
Old 13 Jan 2006, 20:20   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

6 per squad?! that dude is a fool.

That tau player should not focus everything on tanks alone. there is also crisis and stealths. (i'm a tau player, i should kbnow)

And did you know that you can ahve 55 men per squad?

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
Old 13 Jan 2006, 20:57   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

Quote:
how does that work? the most ive heard is conscripts with a commissar which is 51 models.

Old 13 Jan 2006, 21:00   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

That's what I discovered and what the IG gamers in my store say....

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
Old 13 Jan 2006, 21:05   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elessar
Quote:
how does that work? the most ive heard is conscripts with a commissar which is 51 models.
he's Tau. he doesn't know our customs too well.
5 command
5x10 squads of 10
i'm sure that is what he meant.
still....
do we need 55 lasguns? depends... and usually just limited to how many figs we have.
i took 25 man platoon (not SQUAD mr Tau!) to get in the way and it cost me 160 points and it did exactly what I expected it to... fill in a troop req., NOTHING offensively, and 2 turns of fire soaking while my real guns had their fun.
Old 13 Jan 2006, 21:08   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Well, sorry. And I'm too use to calling every battle group a squad.:P

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
Old 13 Jan 2006, 21:12   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Yes, the unique Guard structure does tend to confuse those unfamiliar to it... more than once I have had to explain the Guard do not get 3-6 HQ choices. :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 13 Jan 2006, 21:31   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
Yes, the unique Guard structure does tend to confuse those unfamiliar to it... more than once I have had to explain the Guard do not get 3-6 HQ choices. :
my friends insist its unfair that i get sentinels as my HQ choice. they seem to fail to grasp that i can't just take sentinels.
when i first started i thought each squad took up a troop choice. so when i used my Guard as allies i took 2 squads of guardsmen as my min troops and then a leman russ.

Closed Thread