Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

The Mass Blast Strategy
Closed Thread
Old 11 Jan 2006, 21:15   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default The Mass Blast Strategy

This is a strategy that will require two large pieces of terrain that block LoS, such as mountains. They would be placed like so. If you cannot do this, this strategy is less effective but can be done.

XXXXX XXXXX
XXXXX XXXXX
XXXXX XXXXX

Then, put your Command Platoon Command Squad behind one hill and a mountain and your Infantry Platoon Command Squad behind the other. Give them Mortars.

XXXXX XXXXX
XXXXX XXXXX
XXXXX XXXXX
O O

Now, put your guardsman squads inbetween, but a little backed up. Give them your favorite heavy weapons. Mine happen to be Missile Launchers. The squads are made so they are within 12'' of the two officers, giving them the Iron Discipline and a high Ld.

XXXXX XXXXX
XXXXX XXXXX
XXXXX XXXXX
O O

G G G G G

Now you will need a tie-up unit to make it so you won't be flanked and/or attacked down the middle. The last thing you need is a bike squadron or Rhino Rush coming down the middle attacking your Command Squad. The best things to use for tie-up are Conscripts with an Independent Commissar. Give them 2-4 Flamers so you can make them inflict more damage.

XXXXX C C C XXXXX
XXXXX C C XXXXX
XXXXX XXXXX
O O

G G G G G

However, with this, you have a weakness. Some fast things could just ride up on the flanks and attack your command squads. This means you will need an infiltrating or fast unit to get their quickly. The best things to use are infiltrating Storm Troopers, Veterans, Sentinels, and maybe Rough Riders. You could also use an Armored Fist squad so you can block the gap with the Chimera and provide covering fire while the heavy weapon fires either through the top hatch or beside the tank. However, I think Sentinels work best. If you are facing fast, weak units on your flanks, I'd take a Catachan Pattern. Otherwise, I would take a Mars Pattern. It looks less dangerous to marines than Autocannons or Lascannons, which WILL die before you can make use of the Sentinels, and you can use the Scout move to get them into the position you need.

SS XXXXX C C C XXXXX SS
S XXXXX C C XXXXX S
XXXXX XXXXX
O O

G G G G G

Your only problems would be deep-strking units that may come in the positions where the Ds are.

SS XXXXX C C C XXXXX SS
S XXXXX C C XXXXX S
XXXXX XXXXX
O D D D O

G G G G G

To combat this, you may need some extra fire support so you can destroy them before they assault you. Some Veteran squads with Plasmaguns and a Missile Launcher would do excellent. Just put them in the frontlines of your firebase so their special weapons will be in range.

SS XXXXX C C C XXXXX SS
S XXXXX C C XXXXX S
XXXXX XXXXX
O O
V V V
G G G G G

This is a formidable force, but you could use some more explosives in your army. Two Mortars are ok, but you could use some more, and some tanks as well. Two Leman Russes and a Demolisher would be good for some more powerful large blasts, while two Mortar squads would add even more blasts.

This is the final drawing.

SS XXXXX C C C XXXXX SS
S XXXXX C C XXXXX S
XXXXX D XXXXX
O M M O
V V V
G G G G G
L L

X = Mountain (or any terrain that blocks LoS)
G = Infantry Platoon w/ 5 Squads w/ Missile Launchers
O = Command Squads (1 main one and 1 Infantry Platoon one)
C = Conscripts w/ Independent Commissar
S = Mars or Catachan Pattern Sentinels
V = Veterans w/ Missile Launchers, Plasmaguns
M = Mortar Support Squads
L = Leman Russ w/ Lascannons, no sponsons
D = Leman Russ Demolisher w/ Lascannon, Plasma Cannon sponsons

The Demolisher will be shielded by the Conscripts, which should stay alive for a while. If they seem to die a lot, you can add some Grenadiers instead of a veteran squad infiltrating. You could also take some Storm Troopers, or allies such as teleporting Grey Knights or Grey Knight Terminators, Battle Sisters, or infiltrating Kroot Mercenaries. This would assist in allowing your human shield to not be breached. If the conscripts die and it is breached, you can do the following.

XXXXX XXXXX
XXXXX XXXXX
SS XXXXX XXXXX SS
S O M V V V M O S
D
G G G G G
L L

Move the Sentinels back so you can then further move them next turn behind the Mortars to protect them. Move the Demolisher back in case someone tries to assault it and move up the Veteran so their Plasmaguns can make work of the enemy. If your Conscripts are dead or running (not likely since they now have Ld 10), you can attempt to pin them down with the 8 Mortars in your army. This way, they will most likely be pinned so the guardsmen have an extra turn to make holes in their forces. If your opponent infiltrates in front of the mountain, you can take a Surveyor on your officers to make the infiltrators fall back. If your opponent somehow deploys to exploit a weakness I have not found, you may be able to put the Mancharian Cross on your two officers to alter your ldeployment a bit to protect yourself, maybe by moving back. If you play against Bolter or similar weapon-heavy opponents, it may be a good idea to take some Grey Knights to deep-strike behind the enemy in one of the following locations marked with a K. Terminators are good and can survive longer, but ordinary ones can do just fine, and using Termies in this list would instantly make it powergaming, which is bad.

K
K K K K
K
SS XXXXX C C C XXXXX SS
S XXXXX C C XXXXX S
XXXXX D XXXXX
O M M O
V V V
G G G G G
L L

Here is what I'd personally do.

K

SS XXXXX C C C XXXXX SS
S XXXXX C C XXXXX S
XXXXX D XXXXX
O M T T M O
V V V
G G G G G
L L

T = Grenadiers, but I'd only use it when I expect my Conscripts to die easily.
K = teleporting Grey Knights

The rest of the symbols are explained above.

This list and the bunch of tactics above are made to allow the largest amounts of templates to hit the enemy, which is good against marines and swarms. Against swarms, you have Mortars, Frag Missiles, Battle Cannons, and a Demolisher Cannon. While only the Demolisher and Battle Cannons are effective against marines, eight 10-point pie plates dropping on the enemy will either inflict a large amount of casualties or pin the whole army down for your Ordnance and Heavy weapons to destroy with great ease. Don't expect to pin down a SM Command Squad or Necrons, but you can pin down and/or kill basic marines and Scarab Swarms VERY easily.

I hope you like this. I heard Mortars don't need LoS. But if they do need LoS to fire, the whole concept of this strategy is trivial and this topic can be locked. Otherwise, enjoy. ^-^

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Enge(spc)
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Old 11 Jan 2006, 22:05   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: The Mass Blast Strategy

I like the idea of reducing deployment to a perfect mathematical equation, it's fun to theorize over, and it reminds me of NFL football formation charts, but I don't think this is such a good idea in a real game.

Deployment is your chance for you and your opponent to psyche out each other. This is why deploying 1 squad at a time back and forth is the method used in the modern rules editions - rather than 'blind' like in 2nd ed. or 'all at once' like in Rogue Trader.

One thing I KNOW is that focussing everything in the center and using a lot of points on some provisional choices to guard your flanks will just encourage your enemy to deploy to 1 flank of the table or the other, keeping half of your guns out of LOS while he advances around the side of the opposite mountain.

Your chart is nice in theory, and quite possibly the 'ideal' army lineup, but in my camp we change terrain for each battle, and set up on randomly chosen board edges, so those mountains would not be anything to count on in my world. Highly mobile forces like ork speedsters or eldar bikers, and irregular deployments like SM drop pods and various infiltrators will make a horrible mess of your well made plan. I think it is best to act and react during deployment, instead of building an 'unbreachable' perfect wall that will just be exploited by any enemy who can maneuver. Good ascii graphs though, and well meaning, but I just dont think it would work.
Old 11 Jan 2006, 23:11   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

But would the concept I'm trying to make, 8 Mortars out of LoS, be a good thing to use?

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Enge(spc)
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Old 12 Jan 2006, 06:44   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commissar Black Behemoth
But would the concept I'm trying to make, 8 Mortars out of LoS, be a good thing to use?
It's certainly a neat idea, but 8 Mortars don't really do a lot of damage against larger point armies (who I can assume you will face given the number of squads in your diagram). They are pretty weak weapons.

I think Mortar squads are more of a psychological weapon, because every turn your enemy has to cross his fingers and hope that your template doesnt land somewhere perfect and roll some lucky wounds combined with unlucky save rolls on his part. Every turn.

This gets people to start advancing out of their blocked LOS positions they may have deployed in, into fire lanes where your real guns can mow them down. You may get a few kills with mortars, and you'll certainly encourage them to start moving, but I wouldn't rely on them as the basis for your deployment - which is such a crucial factor in how a game plays through.
Old 12 Jan 2006, 09:13   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

I wonder if mortars are underpowered? You can only have three Basilisks can't you? If you did that you'd have to sacrifice those crucial three heavy support slots, which would mean no tanks, but they're awesome artillery...and I do love artillery. It seems to me that mortars are designed for people who like to keep their command squads away from the front line, while still permitting them some manner of firepower from their concealed position. They seem to be nuisance weapons more than providing any really effective killing power. If you can spare the heavy support slots (and the points) for Basilisks instead of mortars, perhaps you're onto something?
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Closed Thread