Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

LR tank questions
Closed Thread
Old 11 Jan 2006, 16:31   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default LR tank questions

Perhaps I'm missing it somewhere, but the LR can only shoot at one target per turn, right? So why buy the lascannon?

If I buy the second weapon, can't I put it in a sponson rather than on the front? That is if I don't buy the sponson weapons.

I'd rather put my points into other troops and just let the LR have the main gun and a single sponson heavy bolter or flamer. The reason I don't want it on the front is that it looks ugly there. I plan on modifying the tank to look unique and more "modern" to go with my army.

TIA

Wanax
Old 11 Jan 2006, 16:39   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: LR tank questions

As I understand it, the sponson weapons are bought as a matched pair. Although you can only normally fire at one target per turn, you can still fire all your weapons at the same target (depending upon how far you moved). If you don't like the hull weapon, pay for the cheapest one (the heavy bolter if I recall), but just remove it from the model. Your opponent can't possibly complain about that! Wouldn't a single sponson look a bit weird though?
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 11 Jan 2006, 18:14   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Might look weird, but I plan on not actually having a sponson. I was going to mount it to look more like a ball gun on a WWII tank out the side hatch. I might just do that on the front instead.

Wanax
Old 11 Jan 2006, 22:59   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Elessar

i know where your coming frm, battle cannon being ordanance you cant fire it and other weapons making hull weapons usually useless. their only real purpose is incase the battle cannon croaks it. or if you buy sponsons for aditional support when your battlacannon isnt as effective as 3 heavy bolters would be. if you dont want sponsons or hull weapons you could buy the stygies vanquisher from forgeworld. it comes with a co-axial stormbolter which you can cut of and replace with a heavy bolter. this is what modern tanks use, and main cannon and a co-axial machinegun.(50. cal or so)

Old 12 Jan 2006, 08:57   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Oh, I see now. Because you can only fire one or the other(s), the battle cannon makes other weapons redundant. If you mount only a battle cannon though, the vehicle is worth far less than the points you'll pay for it because just one armament destroyed result would for all intents and purposes render the vehicle useless; it'd be reduced to an armoured, mobile machinegun nest. But what if the machinegun was coaxial? Would an armament destroyed result destroy both the heavy bolter and the battle cannon? Is an armament destoyed result supposed to represent the destruction of the ordnance istself or damage to the sponson/turret? :-\

I don't like the look of the Leman Russ chassis either, I'd rather buy a third party Chally 2 or Abrams and paint it up in Cadian colours. I much prefer the look of modern battle tanks.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 12 Jan 2006, 11:29   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Well here is what I did. I mounted the lascannon in the drivers hatch, cut down the front area where the lascannon is supposed to be mounted on a swivel, and used a peice of plasticard to create a front slope. I also mounted the driver's hatch door on the new front. It looks totally cool. I'll post pic in conversion, maybe tonight.

Wanax
Old 12 Jan 2006, 11:52   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Cool, I wanna see it!
Old 12 Jan 2006, 13:24   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

In response to your question whether you can just take a sponson weapon instead. I'm pretty sure you can't. One of those little frustrations like not being able to give any weapons combination to any model in your army. I'm sure nobody would mind if you modelled the gun somewhere else for aesthetic purposes, but in a game terms, treat it as a foreward firing arc hull weapon and pay the points cost for it as such. So as not to invoke the wrath of a picky rules lawyer opponent.