Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

More Options for Command Squads
Closed Thread
Old 10 Jan 2006, 19:49   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default More Options for Command Squads

Space Marine command squads can be pimped out more than anything else in the game (except maybe Chaos), and can even get 2+ saves. What are Imperial Guard command squads limited to? Carapace Armor (which is overpriced) and subpar stats. Yes, I know that the use of the IG command squad is for leadership, but Space Marine command squads can do the same thing, and with an automatic Ld 10 (no commissar needed).

The only things I see that Imperial Guard get for an advantage over marines in their command squads are vox-casters (not used often though) and Iron Discipline (which is a doctrine). I wish that Command Squads had more options. While a Priest with an Evicerator, a Heroic Senior Officer with a Power Weapon and Bolt Pistol, a Commissar with a Power Fist and a Bolt Pistol, and a Sactioned Pskyer with the Honorifica and a Force Weapon is a beefed up squad, nearly every single model in a SM command squad can take Power Weapons and Fists, and have much better stats. This makes Imperial Guard Command Squads only dead average assault units.

Their shooting is also just average. While they CAN take a Heavy Weapon, that is pretty much it for shooting besides 4 guys with Plasmaguns, which takes away room for Medics and Heavy Weapons and the such. The Officer and Commissar, having the best BS in the squad, cannot take good weapons. Plasma Pistols are barely worth it because of their range, and Storm Bolters are relatively weak, with a Bolter 4 points less and not much worse. Why cannot we see any light on our Command Squads?

At least more support bonuses would suffice, such as some things that can make units Fearless, or something besides Iron Discipline. Why should marines get heavily armed command squads while we get a bunch of lightly armed guardsmen for an HQ. I love the Imperial Guard. They have excellent guns, great fluff, and can unleash double the amount of firepower as a marine army. I just wish their Command Squads were better, and could do their one job much better, giving inspiring support to the army. Will we ever get enlightment on our HQs?

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Enge(spc)
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Old 10 Jan 2006, 21:10   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Stooga
Default Re: More Options for Command Squads

They're Imperial Guards, which means they're human warriors, led by human warriors with years of experience. They're not superhuman, and Imperial Guardsmen on the battlefield should never be fearless.
Real world veteran soldiers, with decades of fighting experience and a rough faith in what they do, might still go insane with fear after experiencing, say, a careful ambush by enemy forces, a rain of mortar shells, etc. etc. Imperial Guard officers aren't much better than those soldiers, and wouldn't face, say, a Carnifex or some Dark Eldar combat torture more than once. But when he did, he wouldn't look into the face of danger and laugh, that's for Space Marines (sans laughing)

As for equipment, there are a couple of million imperial guard HQs in the galaxy, and very few of them would probably aquire such technology as ten power fists and ten plasma pistols, that's rare stuff for mortal men.

In game terms, I say let the guard stay human, simple, and cheap. That's the way I like them at least.
Old 10 Jan 2006, 21:57   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to wonderboy

somthing you havent considred is the possible size an imperial guard HQ can get to. that would beat out a marine HQ anyday.

2000 points
1500 points
my army lists.
Old 10 Jan 2006, 23:07   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Aun’o Tash’var Shin’jin

i wish there was an option take additional guardsmen in HQ's, like you pay +6pts for an extra guardsman in the command squad, and make it like Ulthwe Seer Councils, (unlimited squad size) it would be really like the guard, huge numbers and tons of laser pointers to blind the enemy.

Eidt by JD: I dunno how you managed to read it after the changes FT
Edit by AC: JD you've spelt edit incorrectly...
Edit by WG: I just wanted to be part of the moment. :P
Old 11 Jan 2006, 01:15   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I don't think they were ever meant to be very good. All the fiction seems to point to brilliant and inspiring leadership as the number one quality in guard officers being 'heroic'. I guess Yarrick is an exception, but even Gaunt was intimidated by Space Marines. The best way to trick out a command squad, in my opinion, is to make it extremely one sided. The variations I use are of 3 different business management roles.

THE CEO
commissar to bump up leadership, master vox, medic/refrac/crimson/carapace if you bother just to aid his chance of survival, iron discipline if you doctrine, and a macharian cross if you have the points (and if you know how to use one).
-these guys have no business getting anywhere near an enemy, just hide in some kind of cover and reassure the troops with your vox. All the extra defense options are for the 'just in case' scenario that the badguys go all out hell bent on getting your leader, which is just fine with me because then they aren't going after your harder hitting squads.

THE MIDDLE MANAGER
skip wargear options. laspistol/CCW Junior Officer. He's just there to oversee the special weapons guys with him. Firepower.

THE LINE SUPERVISOR
laspistols and ccw for the whole squad. They defend your longer range bigger gunned squads by staying nearby and being ready to get in the way of whoever starts getting too close to your real weapons. If you have the points, a powersword isn't too bad an idea, but all those priests and psykers and commissars are really a lot of points for what still will never grow up to be a big-boy assault squad like other armies have.

In closing, I think the best way to augment your command squads is to keep them as minimal as possible. One task assigned, and just enough upgrades to help them do it well. Lead, shoot, or defend. The guard is not an army of heroic and legendary deeds. The colonel that requisitioned that extra Leman Russ from the motor pool instead of acquiring himself a collection of nice shiney personal items and talented bodyguards and cronies will probably be more of a hero to his troops than the colonel who wants to play dress up as a space marine.
Old 11 Jan 2006, 08:46   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Great post, squiggs! Karma-worthy, if you ask me, and I'm usually the guy crying "foul" regarding blatant attemts to recycle old material to cheese some karma out of the bosses.

Just one thing to add...with the CEO version of HQ, it's worthwhile to give them a mortar...since they'll be hiding out of LOS anyway...one more roll of the dice every turn never hurts...as another member said in an old thread:

"When, at the end of one of your twenty minute shooting phases, your opponent asks in a demoralized voice whether or not you are done yet, it is alway nice to look around the board for a minute and say 'I think so....wait, I have a mortar over here behind this hill' and reach for the dice...he just might concede the game on the spot."

...or words to that effect.

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 11 Jan 2006, 11:27   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Wait so Mortars fire indirectly? That gives me a good idea if they can.

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Old 11 Jan 2006, 17:58   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to wonderboy

yof course they do! they are mortars, not missile launchers.

2000 points
1500 points
my army lists.
Old 11 Jan 2006, 20:47   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Excellent! I have an insane idea using Mortars. I'll post it on another thread. >

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Closed Thread