Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Uses of the Imperial Guard "Medals of Honor"
Closed Thread
Old 09 Jan 2006, 20:49   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Uses of the Imperial Guard "Medals of Honor"

Has anyone found a good use for the medals of honor in the Imperial Guard?

I know that the Honorifica Imperialis is a good thing to use on a Force Weapon-holding Sactioned Psyker and perhaps a Techpriest Enginseer fitted in a Command Squad. But is there any other thing that could use it, maybe by making it a Honorifica Imperialis Mundanus?

The Medallion Crimson I have found to be really cool and it is found on nearly all Special Characters, but is there a good way to use this?

The Macharian Cross is...interesting, and complex. I have a pretty strategic mind and I have not found a use for this expensive yet interesting medal.

Could someone try and shed some light on these medals of honor?

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Enge(spc)
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Old 09 Jan 2006, 20:55   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Uses of the Imperial Guard "Medals of Honor"

I like the HI on a Junior Officer in my main HQ. It saves me five points over a standard Heroic Senior Officer.

The Medallion Crimson is very cool on an Ogryn Bone'ead, actually. It keeps the first Orc Nob powerfist attack from just pasting a three-wound model.

Admittedly, though, I too haven't quite figured out the Macharian Cross. I've heard people talk about using it to bait out anti-tank weaponry--the idea being that you place a tank out in the open, get your opponent to stick a valuable anti-tank squad someplace open where they can get a shot in, and then tuck the tank back behind some cover--but it feels like too great a gamble to me. Maybe someone else has had good luck with it.
Old 09 Jan 2006, 21:05   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

It says under the rules that no vehicles can be moved with the Macharian Cross (a shame). However, we could work backwards from what you said. This might work very well if you get second turn.

You put one of your Anti-Tank Squads and your Veterans and Infantry with Heavy Weapons within 6'' of your officer and out of LOS. If he is a confident and cocky player, he will ignore the Macharian Cross. Since all of your heavy weapons are behind a rock or something, he will put his tanks in the wide open so he can shoot you and not worry about heavy weapons destroying the tank. Then, redeploy one of those heavy weapon squads in line of sight of the tank and, once you can, open fire. If you take two Crosses (one on your Infantry Platoon Junior Officer), you can do double the damage.

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Enge(spc)
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Old 09 Jan 2006, 21:08   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

That's certainly true, but again quite a gamble. If you end up without the first turn you could be in the position of losing your anti-tank unit because you hung it out in the open. Speaking for myself, I'd rather do the drop-trooping plasma/melta squad over trying to finesse an anti-tank unit into position via the Cross.
Old 09 Jan 2006, 22:12   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

medals: specifically the Macharian Cross

med crimson - Maybe good on the ogryn sarge, extra-maybe on a commander, but there just arent a lot of characters worth spending that many points protecting from a 'maybe' attack in my opinion.

mach cross - I think this one is absolutely awesome, I just wish it wasn't so pointsy. its a psychological weapon. I have read people saying it is hard to use, but I don't think so. Here's how it works:

set up your most juicy looking target first, vulnerable looking and hard hitting looking. (lascannon or autocannon hvy weapons team is my choice - I have done this in 3 games a while back and it worked in all of them) use the middle if you can, not a flank - more options for repositioning that way, and just let human nature take its toll on your enemy.
At best, he will (if like most) set up his nastiest range-fire kill squad in LOS, and you can dodge them somewhere else useful but out of the 'kill lane' and your guys can fire at something else that doesnt fire back as hard. You get to shoot, and his counter unit is denied their best target. every turn a heavy weapon spends not shooting is a turn where he wastes points. This is not likely in big points games where there is always SOMETHING to shoot at, but the words here are "Best target". At worst, if he is wise to your cross scheme and just places nothing against them, then hey, he will have to do extra maneuvering to get over the fact that he didnt set up in the 'lane' and be 1 turn further away from your lines - which EVERYONE i play against tries to close with (except Dan and his Tau tank army, but he doesnt count cuz he is a railhead with a Tau tank army).
You can play with weapon ranges too... you duck the bait squad behind some terrain with your cross power, getting out of LOS with shooty killer your enemy placed, but have something else behind that outranges their guys... missile launcher squads are a good one. they can shoot more or less anywhere on a 4x4 table, but dont LOOK as intimidating as your lascannon bait.

Sorry I have been wordy on this one, but it is a favorite of mine, Its really a way to make your opponent screw up his deployment, not so much to help your own.

the other medal (briefly, I promise)
-honourifica: hardened vet sarge w powerfist.

or turn a JO into an HSO if your really scrapping for some extra points (little nibbles of cheese, but I too am guilty - and at least its just little nibbles). maybe a psyker w force weapon but i dont personally bother with psykers. points allowing, the sarge is definitely my choice.