Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

What Imperial guard set should I buy next?
View Poll Results: What Imperial guard set should I buy next?
Kasrkins (box of 10) 5 27.78%
Chimera 1 5.56%
Leman Russ 7 38.89%
Hellhound 2 11.11%
Heavy weapons platoon (box of 3) 3 16.67%
Cadian Pattern Sentinel 0 0%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 09 Jan 2006, 19:12   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default What Imperial guard set should I buy next?

hey,

please help me decide,

I'm only have 20 cadian shock troops at the moment and I've not started gaming,
and at the moment I am more interested in cool looking models rather than models that are good in battles although if someone can tell me if kasrkins are any good in battles and what they are good against.

thank you

Dark Vault Games for quality service at a minimum discount of 10% off GW prices. Free Delivery on orders over £50! Great Service , I highly recommend them.
Old 09 Jan 2006, 19:50   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: What Imperial guard set should I buy next?

well, since you mentioned cool looking models, might I suggest you work on acquiring a headquarters? You'll need one for gaming anyway. For a headquarters, I could suggest a suitable senior officer model, those usually look cool, a comissar, those are definitely cool, a medic, maybe a standard bearer or a radio operator, and a couple guys with special weapons...you can get most of these models packaged together here (you can find it in your store, I'm sure, but this is to show you what it looks like):http://store.us.games-workshop.com/s...e=A&Img=250378

It's called the cadian HQ command squad.

Another option would be to simply buy an officer, a comissar, the medic and standard bearer (they come together), and a couple cadians with special weapons. That lets you get it a little at a time (money permitting) instead of buying one expensive boxed set that will have models that you may not want to use (like the wounded guy). Unfortunately, I don't think the commo guy is available separately from the boxed set...which is a shame, because I think the senior officer model in the box is horrible.

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 09 Jan 2006, 19:54   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

kasrkin are good for equipping plasma or melta and either deepstriking in or riding a chimera to take out whatever targets they are equipped for. They also look really cool. The Cadian battleforce is full of cool looking models and also stuff you will want. If money is no object and you arent worried about stuff being tournamnet legal then Forgeworld has all the best IG goodies
Old 09 Jan 2006, 20:24   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

You need a tank. The big Battleforce set is probably where you want to get one from, though. that'll give you some more troops, too, which you need.
Old 09 Jan 2006, 20:25   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Money is an issue for me as I don't like spending too much at once so no forgeworld.

yeh I will buy an HQ soon...

so out of the options I gave you what do you think?

Dark Vault Games for quality service at a minimum discount of 10% off GW prices. Free Delivery on orders over £50! Great Service , I highly recommend them.
Old 09 Jan 2006, 20:37   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Commissars are cool to take (I'd know ). If you want really cool-looking tanks, you cannot go wrong with a Hellhound and a couple of Leman Russes. Sentinels look "very" cool, and very good in game terms (a deep-striking Catachan Sentinel will lay waste to anything it lands next to and is only 40 points, the cost of 4 Storm Troopers or 5 Veterans.

Kasrkins are really just Veterans with a big price tag.

If you want some really cool-looking guys, you can take the insanely cool but a little expensive Tanith Ghosts. And if you take them, throw in a Colonel-Commissar Gaunt for your second HQ.

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Enge(spc)
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Old 09 Jan 2006, 20:40   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I don't know if you were replying directly to me or not, Rapouc, but in case you were, I'll reiterate--you need a tank.

The Leman Russ is certainly cool looking (to me, anyway). Eventually you'll certainly want to get more men, but for now, if you're looking for something cool, I say get a tank.
Old 09 Jan 2006, 20:51   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

sorry austin its just you posted when I was in the middle of replying to march 10k
and yeh a tank is a possibility

p.s what are IG veterans?

I don't see them anywhere on the GW site

do you mean the command squad?

Old 09 Jan 2006, 21:05   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

There aren't really any "veteran" models. I reckon it's assumed that you'll be doing cool conversions on your veterans to make them look grizzled, but in their purest form, they look exactly the same as regular guardsmen.
Old 09 Jan 2006, 21:06   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

I'd say the Kashrin are the Veterans, but since there aren't "Veterans per say", I'd take normal Shock Troopers as Veterans just to save some cash.

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Enge(spc)
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Closed Thread