Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

First time with Guard - 1000pts (Semi-FWish)
Closed Thread
Old 09 Jan 2006, 01:36   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default First time with Guard - 1000pts (Semi-FWish)

Here it is. First go at Guard, probably a total mess of them.

Morgan Dust Devils
- Grenadiers
- Techpriests
- Vanquisher

HQ:
Command Platoon (272pts with Chimera)
Junior Officer w/ Honourifica Imperialis, Bolt Pistol, Power Weapon, Carapace Armour, Refractor
Veteran Medic, Veteran Standard Bearer, Master Vox Operator, Plasmagunner

Chimera w/ Autocannon, Heavy Bolter
Rough Terrain Modification, Improved Comms, Camo Netting, Smoke Launchers, Extra Armour

Troops:
Infantry Command (96pts):
Junior Officer w/ Power Fist, Bionics
Veteran Medic, Master Vox Operator, Plasmagunner

Infantry Squads (94pts Each):

Infantry Squad
Autocannon, Grenade Launcher
Veteran Sergeant, Vox-Caster

Infantry Squad

10 Grenadiers (219pts with Chimera):
Vox-Caster
Plasmagun, Meltagun
Chimera
Autocannon, Heavy Bolter
Camouflage Netting, Smoke Launchers

Heavy Support:
Vanquisher - 226pts
Lascannon, Heavy Bolters
Veteran Crew, Camo Netting, Extra Armour

There you have it - didn't come out how I'd hoped/thought, and the product of a bum day with a bad cold, but any criticisms will help me work with this most odd of Codecies. Few points:
- The JOs are part of my fluff.
- Intended additions include a Conquerer, Sentinels, Rough Riders, a Salamander, a Griffon, Ogryns, Kroot... a bunch of unconventional stuff.
- NO Commisars!
Old 09 Jan 2006, 10:39   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff
Default Re: First time with Guard - 1000pts (Semi-FWish)

Okay overall it's comming together.

a few points.
1-I'm not sure if you can use a JO as a HQ command officer.
2-I can't see your Techpreist anywhere
3-The camo netting is basically worthless unless you play hidden setup alot. but if it's there to fill points and you do play the odd hidden setup game then fine keep it.
4-The only thing you have that can take out a AV14 vechile is one lascannon. unless you don't play against people with such vechiles then i'd recommend another one somewhere.
Old 09 Jan 2006, 19:47   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dra-Tuisich'Novae
Here it is. First go at Guard, probably a total mess of them.

Morgan Dust Devils
- Grenadiers
- Techpriests
- Vanquisher

HQ:
Command Platoon (272pts with Chimera)
Junior Officer w/ Honourifica Imperialis, Bolt Pistol, Power Weapon, Carapace Armour, Refractor
Veteran Medic, Veteran Standard Bearer, Master Vox Operator, Plasmagunner

Chimera w/ Autocannon, Heavy Bolter
Rough Terrain Modification, Improved Comms, Camo Netting, Smoke Launchers, Extra Armour

Troops:
Infantry Command (96pts):
Junior Officer w/ Power Fist, Bionics
Veteran Medic, Master Vox Operator, Plasmagunner

Infantry Squads (94pts Each):

Infantry Squad

Infantry Squad

10 Grenadiers (219pts with Chimera):
Vox-Caster
Plasmagun, Meltagun
Chimera
Autocannon, Heavy Bolter
Camouflage Netting, Smoke Launchers

Heavy Support:
Vanquisher - 226pts
Lascannon, Heavy Bolters
Veteran Crew, Camo Netting, Extra Armour

There you have it - didn't come out how I'd hoped/thought, and the product of a bum day with a bad cold, but any criticisms will help me work with this most odd of Codecies. Few points:
- The JOs are part of my fluff.
- Intended additions include a Conquerer, Sentinels, Rough Riders, a Salamander, a Griffon, Ogryns, Kroot... a bunch of unconventional stuff.
- NO Commisars!

suggestions from a source of questionable wisdom:

First, dont give the JO a powerfist, it is so pointsy and he can be singled out and killed off really quick if he ever gets into combat. I doubt if he would last till the end of a round and ever get to swing it. If you have a differnt figure, try a chainsword or powersword or something, this guy really cant be expected to do much given his dismal stat line, and his squad can't protect very much since he is Independant Character and all.

Second, your HQ command squad looks a bit schizophrenic to me. The JO with honourifica is a cute way to shave some points away, but you have tooled him up to be a survivor/leadership officer intended for Ld9, not for the big tough officer to go out looking for a fight...

refrac and carapace all good and well, plus the medic and the master vox suggests you will probably want to just keep him as far away from combat as possible and let your army rely on his leadership. I imagine the power weapon is just based on the figure. no biggie, 5 points for 'style' is okay by me, but here's the thing: You have TWO master voxes in your army and only 2 other squads with regular voxes that they have to watch over. That's the problem. I doubt if you need either of those master voxes, down them to regulars and you get 30 more points. If you have to use more than 2 leadership rolls between your 2 infantry squads then your probably doomed anyway. Also, the veteran sergeant upgrades MAY be useful (like if all your commanders and voxcasters are dead - in which case, once again you're probably doomed anyway) but I think its kind of a waste of points if you are using voxcasters...

so yeah, trim off a bit of the fat - why the improved comms on the chim when you dont have any deep strike troops? thats a lot of points... get rid of that, the powerfist, the master voxes (at least one of them) and you can afford a shiney new sentinel, a little 5 man grenadier squad, a 10 man infantry unit, an upgrade for your autocannons - turn em into lascannons, throw around some ideas with what you could do with that extra 50-75 points (sharpshooters are nice) or how about that techpriest? or waste them on fluff if you want and buy everybody grenades or something (they are a grenadier army after all)... the realm of possibilities for an extra 75 points is quite large. O0
Old 09 Jan 2006, 19:57   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Thanks for the reviews guys - as I stated, it was the product of a lousy evening so it was barely worth the attention... I will keep this in mind for the next time I have a go at this type of army, but in the immidiate future I'll be working on a totally different type of Guard army.

Thanks in any case!
Old 09 Jan 2006, 23:40   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by squigs for dinner

suggestions from a source of questionable wisdom:

First, dont give the JO a powerfist, it is so pointsy and he can be singled out and killed off really quick if he ever gets into combat. I doubt if he would last till the end of a round and ever get to swing it. If you have a differnt figure, try a chainsword or powersword or something, this guy really cant be expected to do much given his dismal stat line, and his squad can't protect very much since he is Independant Character and all.
The only thing dismal about that stat line is the save and initiative. He saved 5pts on what would have been the same HSO.